Great advice from police on informing officer.

This is a discussion on Great advice from police on informing officer. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ignore the fact that this officer was later charged with misuse of public funds, it is good advice. Link...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Great advice from police on informing officer.

Ignore the fact that this officer was later charged with misuse of public funds, it is good advice.

Link
    USMC Sergeant
    NRA Certified Instructor
    Utah BCI Certified Instructor
    Utah Self Defense Instruction- Utah CCW, Discount NRA memberships/renewals
    Gun Blog,CCW News and Reviews

I dont have to in my state, I've been stopped 4 times carrying (2-headlite out, 1 - creative lane change, 1-expired registration). I kept my hands at 2 and 10 o'clock on the wheel anytime the officer was at the window.

My CPL would have shown when they ran my plates. One officer 'thanked me' for my hands on the wheel.

Only 1 ticket was written out of those, for the lapsed registration...on Easter Sunday, the regular Explorer wouldnt start....we pulled the old Buick out of the garage to go to relative's dinner. Didnt think about reg. Jerk of a cop wrote us a $240 ticket. I dont normally say that, but to write on that? Under those circumstances? I was completely polite and spoke little except to explain. Like the others, he didnt have to write that ticket.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

1 - creative lane change
    I like that
    USMC Sergeant
    NRA Certified Instructor
    Utah BCI Certified Instructor
    Utah Self Defense Instruction- Utah CCW, Discount NRA memberships/renewals
    Gun Blog,CCW News and Reviews

We do not have to inform in FL, but my first response is/was..."Good morning/evening officier, I'd like you to know that I am a legally armed Floridian."
    Then, whatever follows...
    The two three times that I've had contact with LEO's, two ignored the fact, one other just said, "Thanks for telling me.", and we went on with business.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    We do not have to inform in FL, but my first response is/was..."Good morning/evening officier, I'd like you to know that I am a legally armed Floridian."
    Then, whatever follows...
    The two three times that I've had contact with LEO's, two ignored the fact, one other just said, "Thanks for telling me.", and we went on with business.
    So you're required to notify that your a Floridian but not a concealed carry holder?
    chefjon likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    So you're required to notify that you're a Floridian but not a concealed carry holder?
    No, no, no...It's just what I say when stopped anywhere. FL does not require that you inform...I do it as a courtesy. I have never encountered a problem cop...all have been VERY low key with firearms.

I've only been stopped twice in the last 5 years for traffic corrections, and a couple of other times for incidents requiring information from me. Once in TN, during a trip, there was an incident at a motel where the officer had asked me some questions about an incident at the motel, and I said the same thing. The only reaction was him asking me about my gun (which was a Kimber at the time), he just said, "Nice gun!"
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    So you're required to notify that your a Floridian but not a concealed carry holder?
    Whoooshhh!
    4my sons likes this.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

VIP Member
    I used to advocate telling the officer and it my state, you might as well because they already know you have a permit. I no longer hold that view. I won't get in to that debate however, but I will make one observation. Most officers are trained to go to high alert when their partner or another officer yells "GUN!". Even if you do decide to tell the officer you are armed, don't use that word. It still triggers a higher response from the officer. Don't increase the officers adrenalin flow ... use the word firearm. Trust me, it won't hurt and it could help.
    Ishmael, jem102, gunthorp and 1 others like this.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I think more explanation needs to be put into the "Creative Lane Change".
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

VIP Member
    While notification is not required in VA, as soon as the LEO runs your drivers license he knows you have a permit. I've always informed, and never have had a problem.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Hey ret: Methinks NC and the "Floridian" comment has a tinge of sarcasm, just like what I was going to say. "Since I live and are a resident of SC, do I have to inform the LEO that I am not a Floridian" if I am stopped in SC. What if I am stopped in FL? Be safe ret and NC, and G-d Bless.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    "Like the others, he didnt have to write that ticket."

He didn't have to but he should have--for operating an unregistered vehicle! Headlights out? Safety! Creative(?) lane change? Hummm.
    Everytime I've been pulled over, it was for a good reason. One reaps what one sows.
    gottabkiddin and grouse like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Well, I'll give him a score of 66 percent.

• Keep hands where officer can see them. (Yes)
    • Say "I'm a concealed carry permit holder" (Yes)
    • "or I have a gun" (NO NO NO!).

That last phrase is something that (I hope) will never pass my lips in the presence of an officer. I forget where I saw this, but the best notification statement I've come across is:

With hands on steering wheel: "I have a permit to carry a concealed weapon, and I have it with me. I will follow your instructions. What do you want me to do?"

All this stuff about "it's loaded, here is its location"--I doubt a cop has the patience to hear all of that. I prefer a fast statement, sitting still, and then answering the cop's questions/following instructions as they come. That said, I would only do this in a duty-to-inform state, which fortunately my state is not.

And by the way, because of just this sort of situation, I stopped carrying my wallet on the same side as where I carry, so, when the cop asks for ID, I can honestly say "my holster is on my right side and my wallet is on my left. I am going to reach for my wallet with my left hand." Unless he had pulled me out of the car, he'd have to take my word for this, I guess, but I still think it could help avoid misunderstandings.

VIP Member
    With the overhead light on if during the hours of darkness, my window already rolled down before he gets up to the vehicle, and with both hands in plain sight, the first words out of my mouth upon his arrival are "Good evening, Officer. I am a Concealed Handgun License (that is what it is called in Ohio) holder, and I am carrying a handgun. Do you have any instructions for me?". No more, no less, just as required by Ohio law. If anywhere except behind the wheel, same drill, but with my hands on the dashboard or displayed clearly.
    RoadKill and Sky Pilot like this.

There's no requirement to inform here, so I don't. Our licenses aren't tied in to a state database available to local PDs, so they won't show up when our DLs get run through the system. So, no, I don't inform. Why invite trouble?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links