Tell me about the carry laws in TEXAS.....

This is a discussion on Tell me about the carry laws in TEXAS..... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Mike, I know no one has told you this yet, but there is one firm rule that is strictly enforced. You MUST swear allegiance to ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Tell me about the carry laws in TEXAS.....

VIP Member
    Mike, I know no one has told you this yet, but there is one firm rule that is strictly enforced. You MUST swear allegiance to the Dallas Cowboys. They're still looking for the last person who refused to do it, of course they aren't looking real hard!!
    baren likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

2. Remove Ads

Good luck, dude. Hope you get the gig. I'd take DFW over Indianapolis anyday - mostly for the weather. As an experienced guy above posted, the place is freaking huge. Traffic can be as bad as LA or DC. Make sure you choose carefully where you are going to live based on your commute or need to access places like the airport.

The DFW area (in my experience) is not the old-world Texas kind of place. You can drive to that Texas, but it's a long drive. Most of DFW looks to me like one giant strip mall. It's flat, hot, and dusty - no real neat topographical aspects. The nice areas are REALLY nice (and pricey), and the regular places are - well - pretty blase': strip malls, parking lots everywhere, tract homes, large churches, etc. There are no geographic restrictions on growth (like an abutting ocean or mountain) so everything is spread out, and pretty flat. Everyone is driving everywhere. Fortunately, they are a big airline hub, so at least you can get a cheap flight to oceans, skiing areas, and nicer, more colorful cities to visit.

That's my impression only. YMMV. No insults meant to any locals, it's only my opinion and worth everything you paid for it.

Good luck, and enjoy better weather.

The bad thing about Dallas is that you will have to drive all the way to Norman Oklahoma to see real football.

Michael
    Rock and Glock likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    but ya got 8 million folks that THINK they are and by golly they have 4WD and they saw snow once 18 years ago and ice 19 years ago and they know how to drive on it! Yep. GUARANTEED.
    AND DFW always gets at least one such storm a year.

Otherwise; go watch some reruns of King of The Hill.

Knowing what I know about you from your many posts, I have two thoughts which are of opposite views.

1) Try to find your way home to TN. I don't think you will be happy anywhere else. The DFW region is quite different in climate and scenery, different terrain, much different outdoor recreational activity. And, it is far from the nice parts of TN. It is even far from the nice parts of East Texas and the nice parts of Arkansas.

2) A good job in today's world is what counts. You don't need to be happy. Happiness is over-rated.
    You need to be able to support yourself and take care of your family. Knowing how close you've been to the economic edge in the past I think geography is the last thing you should be considering.

Whatever you decide, whatever opportunity actually comes your way, all the best. You've been through a great deal and deserve a break.
    Rock and Glock, baren and Buckj like this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by jbum View Post
    You know Mike Texas is kind of our "sister state"
    How so jbum??

Quote Originally Posted by GoBigOrange View Post
    Mike, since you love TN but have not found a job back in Memphis, why not expand your search to Nashville, Knoxville and all parts in between.

I personally would not want to live in Dallas but there are definitely worse places to live. You might love it!
    I have been looking for jobs in all parts of Tennessee. and would still take one if it came up. But, so far, none have.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Mike, I know no one has told you this yet, but there is one firm rule that is strictly enforced. You MUST swear allegiance to the Dallas Cowboys. They're still looking for the last person who refused to do it, of course they aren't looking real hard!!
    LOL!!
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Mike I just took the Texas CCW class and just recieved my CCW. I was down there on another matter and extended my trip one extra day and got the CCW 2 weeks later.

Hopyard makes some succinct points, Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
    the 30.06 signs were mentioned but the TABC 51% signs must not be ignored either, those are for bars that make 51% of their income from liquor sales. a place with a 51% sign is a no go..
    One correction. TABC 51% signs come in two flavors. A RED 51% sign is a no-no. A BLUE 51% sign Ok to carry.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    AND DFW always gets at least one such storm a year.

Otherwise; go watch some reruns of King of The Hill.

Knowing what I know about you from your many posts, I have two thoughts which are of opposite views.

1) Try to find your way home to TN. I don't think you will be happy anywhere else. The DFW region is quite different in climate and scenery, different terrain, much different outdoor recreational activity. And, it is far from the nice parts of TN. It is even far from the nice parts of East Texas and the nice parts of Arkansas.

2) A good job in today's world is what counts. You don't need to be happy. Happiness is over-rated.
    You need to be able to support yourself and take care of your family. Knowing how close you've been to the economic edge in the past I think geography is the last thing you should be considering.

Whatever you decide, whatever opportunity actually comes your way, all the best. You've been through a great deal and deserve a break.
    Hopyard, I appreciate what you say. But, let me retort. We used to live in Mobile County Alabama. I was happy there as well. Having live there, I can handle the climate of Dallas with no problem at all. I can be happy in the South. This Northern crap is what is killing me. And we didn't live in the "nice part" of Tennessee. We lived in the extreme Southwest part of Tennessee. We loved it but people don't tend to call that part the nice end of the state.

I also realize that a good job in today's economic climate is important. But, some things you may not know. I currently work for a company that is going to be coming out of bankruptcy in the next 6 to 8 months. No one knows what is going to happen when that occurs. It is scary to say the least. And if I take this job (if it is even offered to me) I would be going from an industry (over the air broadcast TV) that the government is doing all it can to get rid of so that the FCC can reallocate the spectrum we currently use for free to paying customers, to an industry (the medical imaging field) that is growing by amazing rates and will continue to do so in the future. I would also go from making a high of $70k a year to more and 100k a year with the potential for it to be much more than that. Plus bonuses, a company provided car that the company pays for the gas and I would be allowed to use for personal business and profit sharing. Plus an excellent benefits package.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by Xdav View Post
    Several posts above outline the benefits of CHL in TX though one I found particularly interesting was that with a TX CHL you can carry in the State Capital though you will have to go through the metal detectors and inform security that you are carrying.
    You don't go through the metal detectors. There is a separate entrance for CHL holders, same entrance as the Capitol employees.

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    Hopyard, I appreciate what you say. But, let me retort. We used to live in Mobile County Alabama. I was happy there as well. Having live there, I can handle the climate of Dallas with no problem at all. I can be happy in the South. This Northern crap is what is killing me. And we didn't live in the "nice part" of Tennessee. We lived in the extreme Southwest part of Tennessee. We loved it but people don't tend to call that part the nice end of the state.

I also realize that a good job in today's economic climate is important. But, some things you may not know. I currently work for a company that is going to be coming out of bankruptcy in the next 6 to 8 months. No one knows what is going to happen when that occurs. It is scary to say the least. And if I take this job (if it is even offered to me) I would be going from an industry (over the air broadcast TV) that the government is doing all it can to get rid of so that the FCC can reallocate the spectrum we currently use for free to paying customers, to an industry (the medical imaging field) that is growing by amazing rates and will continue to do so in the future. I would also go from making a high of $70k a year to more and 100k a year with the potential for it to be much more than that. Plus bonuses, a company provided car that the company pays for the gas and I would be allowed to use for personal business and profitsharing. Plus an excellent benefits package.
    You might want to be careful about the company car. Although is not against the law carrying in your personal vehicle with or without a CHL, and an employer cannot fire you for having a gun in your personal car in the parking lot, they can still prohibit firearms in company cars at all times. You can be fired for having a firearm in the company car if company policy prohibits it.

By the way, if you up in Texas, you might want to join this forum

www.TexasCHLforum.com

A CHL forum dedicated to TX CHL's.

Good point about the company car JVVP. I had thought about that. That's something that I would have to scour the employee handbook to be sure about.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

As a native Texan of 38 years, let me start by saying that any son of Tennessee is welcome here. Real Texans will remember that Tennessee had over 150 men in the Alamo. No other state came close to providing as much support for Texas independence as Tennessee did, and it still hasn't been forgotten. In fact, much of NE Texas was settled by familys from Tennessee. Of course, carpet-bagging Yankees have made Dallas home over the years as well, so you have to take the bad with the good I guess.

All of the information on CHL's for Texas has been correct, with the exception of identifying yourself to the police. When pulled over, you are no longer required to let the officer know that you have a concealed firearm or that you are a concealed carry lisencee. However, he'll find out anyway when he runs your DL# and IMO it's just common sense to let the officer know that there's a gun in the car. I've been pulled over a couple of times while carrying and haven't had any issues. They typically seem to relax once they realize you're a CHL holder (since that indicates you're a law abiding citizen) and I've even had a few conversations about what I'm carrying and how it shoots .

Best of luck to you. I hope things play out in your favor.
    Buckj likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    You spelled Houston Texans wrong

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    You get alot of bang for your buck when it comes to buying a home here too.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links