Tell me about the carry laws in TEXAS.....

This is a discussion on Tell me about the carry laws in TEXAS..... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by archer51 Mike, I know no one has told you this yet, but there is one firm rule that is strictly enforced. You ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 61
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Tell me about the carry laws in TEXAS.....

  1. #31
    Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Tampa Fl
    Posts
    1,530
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Mike, I know no one has told you this yet, but there is one firm rule that is strictly enforced. You MUST swear allegiance to the Dallas Cowboys. They're still looking for the last person who refused to do it, of course they aren't looking real hard!!
    Yep..."Archer" is right, and not only must you swear allegiance...but much like Catholics have a picture of the Virgin Mary on their dining room wall,
    as a Texan you must hang the prerequisite Tom Landry and Roger Staubach picture in your home in a conspicious place.

    texas.jpg
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #32
    VIP Member Array farronwolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    4,766
    Quote Originally Posted by Stubborn View Post
    Yep..."Archer" is right, and not only must you swear allegiance...but much like Catholics have a picture of the Virgin Mary on their dining room wall,
    as a Texan you must hang the prerequisite Tom Landry and Roger Staubach picture in your home in a conspicious place.

    texas.jpg
    I am calling BS on this one. I root for the Packers and whoever is playing the Cowgirls I mean Cowboys. Always have and always will.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

  4. #33
    Member Array baren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Bagram, Afghanistan
    Posts
    239
    Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    That is friggin awesome. Now I am really, REALLY hoping to get this job. Texas sounds like a good state as far as carry is concerned.

    Welcome to the site Xdav!
    My Wife and I both are CHL holders. Last June we toured the Tx Capital Building. They had a separate CHL security screening station without a metal detector. We both handed the Officer our DL and CHL. He checked on the computer database. Handed both licenses back. We enjoyed the tour. Afterwards, We thought it was odd that we were not required to pass through the detector. But we figured it might cause out-of-State visitors heart problems removing our guns before walking through with detectors with Non-CHL visitors.

    I live in Central Texas. Maybe there are some members in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area that can steer you a few of the great gun ranges that I've heard about?

  5. #34
    VIP Member Array Majorlk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Naugatuck, CT
    Posts
    2,406
    Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    I am calling BS on this one. I root for the Packers and whoever is playing the Cowgirls I mean Cowboys. Always have and always will.
    HEATHEN!!!!!

    I'm a ...

    West Virginian by birth,
    Christian by choice,
    Texan by the Grace of God,
    Temporarily forced to live among the heathen.
    Buckj and JoJoGunn like this.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

  6. #35
    VIP Member Array farronwolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    4,766
    Mike,

    Texas really does a good job with their CHL.

    The places off limits are:

    One premises of a school, which means inside a building or at a place during a school sponsored activity, in a school vehicle.
    A polling place on the day of election or during early voting
    Court room or building which a court office occupies
    Secure area of an airport
    Racetrack
    1000 ft within Huntville Prison on the day they are having an execution: Doesn't count if your simply traveling past or working or living within that 1000 ft.
    Bar: which will display a 51% sign
    Premises where a high school, collegiate or professional sporting event is taking place. ( they don't want pissed off Cowboys fans shooting people)
    Premises of a correctional facility: dah
    While intoxicated: No legal limit of intoxication defined. If your acting like an idiot, busted.
    Must be concealed: Concealed means the presence of which is not openly discernable to the ordinary observation of a reasonable person.
    Any place that has a valid 30.06 sign.
    Employers can prevent employees from having handguns on their premises or in their vehicles. Parking lots open to the public are exempt.

    Basically a good set of reasonable rules.

    As others have said, check the DFW area out pretty well before making a decision on where to live. You couldn't pay me enough to live there, but I realize we do what we have to do for our families and ourselves based on current economic or other situations. The weather isn't going to be much different than you experienced outside of Memphis, you will just have to get used to not seeing real trees. You have to come over this way a bit to east Texas for that.

    One positive thing. The processing times for permits is down quite a bit. One of the gals who took our class a few months ago reported back that she had her permit back in hand 12 days after mailing it. She had her online application and fingerprinting done prior to coming to class. One other thing, the statutes read that you have to be a resident for 6 months before getting a permit. That isn't correct. Once you establish residency, ie, you take a job, sign a lease on a house or purchase one, change your DL and voter registration ect. you are eligible for a resident license. Before that you can be issued a non resident license and would have to pay 25 bucks to switch it to a resident one once the previously mentioned stuff takes place.

    Good luck with getting the job, and if you travel down I 30 in east Texas on your way to DFW, if you care to send a message, would be great to meet for lunch/dinner on your way through.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

  7. #36
    Member Array baren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Bagram, Afghanistan
    Posts
    239

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by GoBigOrange View Post
    Mike, since you love TN but have not found a job back in Memphis, why not expand your search to Nashville, Knoxville and all parts in between.

    I personally would not want to live in Dallas but there are definitely worse places to live. You might love it!
    I agree with you that TN_Mike should expand his job search .... in the Great Republic of Texas! :) Austin, Houston areas has huge mega hospitals and not to mention San Antonio with the Army Medical training center.

  8. #37
    Member Array 3dfxMM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    181
    Quote Originally Posted by Penhall View Post
    As a native Texan of 38 years, let me start by saying that any son of Tennessee is welcome here. Real Texans will remember that Tennessee had over 150 men in the Alamo. No other state came close to providing as much support for Texas independence as Tennessee did, and it still hasn't been forgotten. In fact, much of NE Texas was settled by familys from Tennessee. Of course, carpet-bagging Yankees have made Dallas home over the years as well, so you have to take the bad with the good I guess.

    All of the information on CHL's for Texas has been correct, with the exception of identifying yourself to the police. When pulled over, you are no longer required to let the officer know that you have a concealed firearm or that you are a concealed carry lisencee. However, he'll find out anyway when he runs your DL# and IMO it's just common sense to let the officer know that there's a gun in the car. I've been pulled over a couple of times while carrying and haven't had any issues. They typically seem to relax once they realize you're a CHL holder (since that indicates you're a law abiding citizen) and I've even had a few conversations about what I'm carrying and how it shoots .

    Best of luck to you. I hope things play out in your favor.
    You are still required to show both your DL and CHL if you are carrying at the time. The only thing that changed is that there is no longer a penalty for not doing so.

  9. #38
    VIP Member Array farronwolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    4,766
    Quote Originally Posted by 3dfxMM View Post
    You are still required to show both your DL and CHL if you are carrying at the time. The only thing that changed is that there is no longer a penalty for not doing so.
    Yep, statutes still say you must inform. Follow the law.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

  10. #39
    Member Array Penhall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    125
    I guess I was misinformed. Thanks for setting me straight.

  11. #40
    VIP Member Array Gene83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    2,220
    Quote Originally Posted by Doodle View Post
    You spelled Houston Texans wrong
    I thought the Houston team was the Tennessee Titans now.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

  12. #41
    Member Array MadDawg34's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Plano, TX
    Posts
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    The bad thing about Dallas is that you will have to drive all the way to Norman Oklahoma to see real football.

    Michael
    First, I am native Texan, but I agree with this one all the way. BOOMER!!! Second, DFW (Dallas/Fort Worth) is a great place to live! Yes it gets hot, but you can play golf 11 months a year!! Also, no matter where you live in the DFW area, you can be at anything you want to be at within a 30 minute drive in most cases. Professional Sports Teams, Colleges, Malls, Theaters, Concerts, Comedy Clubs, Churches, Night Clubs, etc..... And, when you move to Texas there is only one thing you need to know......It is and always will be THE REPUBLIC of TEXAS! We just allow the US govt to claim us so they can have a nice round number of states in the Union.

  13. #42
    VIP Member Array Majorlk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Naugatuck, CT
    Posts
    2,406
    Quote Originally Posted by MadDawg34 View Post
    And, when you move to Texas there is only one thing you need to know......It is and always will be THE REPUBLIC of TEXAS! We just allow the US govt to claim us so they can have a nice round number of states in the Union.
    Texas is the ONLY independent country to voluntarily give up her independence to join the United States.

    I'm a ...

    West Virginian by birth,
    Christian by choice,
    Texan by the Grace of God,
    Temporarily forced to live among the heathen.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

  14. #43
    Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Willis, TX
    Posts
    1,225
    Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    Mike,

    Texas really does a good job with their CHL.

    The places off limits are:

    One premises of a school, which means inside a building or at a place during a school sponsored activity, in a school vehicle.
    A polling place on the day of election or during early voting
    Court room or building which a court office occupies
    Secure area of an airport
    Racetrack
    1000 ft within Huntville Prison on the day they are having an execution: Doesn't count if your simply traveling past or working or living within that 1000 ft.
    Bar: which will display a 51% sign
    Premises where a high school, collegiate or professional sporting event is taking place. ( they don't want pissed off Cowboys fans shooting people)
    Premises of a correctional facility: dah
    While intoxicated: No legal limit of intoxication defined. If your acting like an idiot, busted.
    Must be concealed: Concealed means the presence of which is not openly discernable to the ordinary observation of a reasonable person.
    Any place that has a valid 30.06 sign.
    Employers can prevent employees from having handguns on their premises or in their vehicles. Parking lots open to the public are exempt.

    Basically a good set of reasonable rules.

    As others have said, check the DFW area out pretty well before making a decision on where to live. You couldn't pay me enough to live there, but I realize we do what we have to do for our families and ourselves based on current economic or other situations. The weather isn't going to be much different than you experienced outside of Memphis, you will just have to get used to not seeing real trees. You have to come over this way a bit to east Texas for that.

    One positive thing. The processing times for permits is down quite a bit. One of the gals who took our class a few months ago reported back that she had her permit back in hand 12 days after mailing it. She had her online application and fingerprinting done prior to coming to class. One other thing, the statutes read that you have to be a resident for 6 months before getting a permit. That isn't correct. Once you establish residency, ie, you take a job, sign a lease on a house or purchase one, change your DL and voter registration ect. you are eligible for a resident license. Before that you can be issued a non resident license and would have to pay 25 bucks to switch it to a resident one once the previously mentioned stuff takes place.

    Good luck with getting the job, and if you travel down I 30 in east Texas on your way to DFW, if you care to send a message, would be great to meet for lunch/dinner on your way through.

    Holy Cow!!! It took me 6 freaking months! However I did mine right after Obama got elected.

  15. #44
    VIP Member
    Array Hopyard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Disappeared
    Posts
    11,526
    Quote Originally Posted by ErnieNWillis View Post
    Holy Cow!!! It took me 6 freaking months! However I did mine right after Obama got elected.
    Come on Ernie, what does that have to do with getting a Texas issued license; or with the concerns TNMike posed?
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

  16. #45
    VIP Member
    Array Hopyard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Disappeared
    Posts
    11,526
    TNMike-- A man's gotta do what a man is supposed to do. In one of your posts you indicated that the move would likely bring you better security and a significant increase of income. Both are what you need especially given your recent difficulties.

    On a list of 1 to 20 priorities, the gun stuff has to be way down the list somewhere around 19.

    As it happens, TX has great gun laws, so that shouldn't impede you from moving here. Just count it as a plus.

    You do need to be very certain however that you don't jump from a frying pan into a fire. Make certain that the new job will get you the money and the security you are looking for.

    First priority-- making a living. Second priority--making a living. And so on. You know that of course.
    Rock and Glock and TN_Mike like this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

30.06 vs castel law
,
bankruptcy and texas chl
,
car carry rules texas
,
carry gun frisco tx
,
chl holder in texas work security
,
chl instucters in bonham tx.
,

concealed carry

,
concealed carry dallas metro
,
concealed carry in frisco texas city buildings
,
defensive carry
,
texas chl bankrupcy
,
texas penalties for chl holders
Click on a term to search for related topics.