Tell me about the carry laws in TEXAS..... - Page 4

Tell me about the carry laws in TEXAS.....

This is a discussion on Tell me about the carry laws in TEXAS..... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Hopyard Come on Ernie, what does that have to do with getting a Texas issued license; or with the concerns TNMike posed? ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Tell me about the carry laws in TEXAS.....

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Come on Ernie, what does that have to do with getting a Texas issued license; or with the concerns TNMike posed?
    It has to do with the number of applicants that were applying right after the election cycle, and how understaffed the department was in that area. Like it or not, that is the way it was and it was a direct result of the election, whether warranted or not is immaterial.

Luckily since most everything has gone to online processing and digital prints, things are much much quicker. I think within a couple of years we will be able to submitt digital passport photos, and electronically put in data for the CHL100 form. That should make it faster still.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

no matter where you live in the DFW area, you can be at anything you want to be at within a 30 minute drive in most cases
    How fast, may I ask, do you drive? This is a complete misrepresentation of the FACTS unless you do your driving between 1 AM and 6 AM. Having lived there, while I appreciate your enthusiasm, I doubt the veracity of your statement.

While I might understand if you only included the City of Dallas, or the City of Fort Worth, the DFW SMSA is geographically huge. To wit............from Allen or McKinney Texas to Duncanville or Fort Worth maybe an hour in perfect driving conditions. From Plano to DFW 30 minutes MINIMUM. I have several more examples if need be, but it ain't half-an-hour to anywhere.

I want one of his cars.

Apparently the DFW metroplex is 9,286 square miles and has nearly 6.4 million folks.

Like I said earlier, I avoid it at all costs. However I think what Maddawg34 was refering to is that you can be at a grocery store, a mall, a food place, or a theater ect. within 30 minutes. Not necesarily any one particular one of them within 30 minutes, because that definately is a stretch in my book. In Aug. when I was coming home from a gun course around Waco, I missed the 20 turn off and got dumped in downtown Dallas at around 4:00 on a Sunday where 30/35/175 meet. I was pissed. If I had to put up with that daily I think I would have a stroke.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

You'll love it here, the laws are in our favor and the general attitude is as well. We are an ornery bunch at times, but then again so are a few Tennesseans who came over to help Texas get her independence.

If you can, I suggest moving to the McKinney/Frisco/West Plano area. I grew up in Dallas proper (Pleasant Grove to be exact) and can tell you that you don't want to live there if your kids are going to be in public school. DISD sucks and has for 30 years.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Quote Originally Posted by Xdav View Post
    Several posts above outline the benefits of CHL in TX though one I found particularly interesting was that with a TX CHL you can carry in the State Capital though you will have to go through the metal detectors and inform security that you are carrying.
    Actually, you show your chl..they check to see if active via a quickie computer on site, if TX CHL, and wave you around the metal detectors.

VIP Member
    Are you forgeting the 100 days of over 100 degrees this past summer in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area?????

Better buy a house with TWO Central air conditioners.

Good luck Mike..
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Quote Originally Posted by JJVP View Post
    One correction. TABC 51% signs come in two flavors. A RED 51% sign is a no-no. A BLUE 51% sign Ok to carry.
    I didn't know that, thanks.

I immigrated to Texas about five years ago. They are very nice people here. Even though I was raised a Redskins fan no one held it against me.
    The only complaint I have regarding carry is that OC is forbidden. Other than that things are pretty good.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Texas is AWESOME !

I live in north Dallas.

A state of very friendly folks..... a great place to raise a family

Yes, its hot, but you do get used to it

When its 105..... you can still go to the pool and to the mall......
    You CAN dress around it

When I lived in Ohio and had January's that were minus 15 degree windchill factor..... its almost
    impossible to be outside comfortably for any length of time.

The gun laws are very much on the side of the gun owner

Good luck on the job
    An imperfect servant of my Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ

Buying American made, keeping Americans working
    ....Whenever I still can

What non-shooter are YOU planning on taking to the range?

Mikw, There is one thing you need to be aware of. Most hospitals do post the required 30.06 signs which means that you cannot carry a handgun inside the hospital, even if you are licensed.

Quote Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
    I didn't know that, thanks.
    If you want to find out if you are OK or not to carry in a particular business, go to TABC Home Page . Just click on "Public Inquiry" and check the license of the particular business. One of the entries is "Gun Sign:" , Blue , good to go, Red, no carry. You might find that a business that should have a Blue sign, per TABC database, has posted instead a Red sign. TABC sends the businesses a package that contains both a Red and a Blue sign when they get their license. The owner is supposed to know which one he needs to post, but sometimes they post the wrong one. If you find one of those, just call TABC and they will visit the site and fix the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    I live in Ft.Worth, but as you know that is considered part of the same metro area as Dallas. The laws here are almost perfect. We have shall-issue permits. We have castle doctrine so we can stand up for ourselves and we have no duty to retreat. We can carry guns in our cars even without a permit (assuming no felonies). We can chase people down and shoot people in the back for stealing our property. Or really, I guess I should rephrase that.. We can chase people down and shoot them in the back to retrieve our stolen property. We can carry on school grounds, just not in the buildings. Signs on businesses that say "no guns" are meaningless to us if we have a CHL. They must post a full 30.06 sign and have the correct size and everything for it to actually be legit. And there are very, very few businesses that actually post such signs.

When I say "almost perfect" the only thing I believe could make our laws better is if we also had the option to open-carry. We may actually have a shot at that in 2013, but at the moment it is concealed only. On the bright side, I've never heard of anyone getting into trouble in Texas for accidental exposure or printing. The law is very clear that the CHL holder must "intentionally fail to conceal" in order to be in violation.

I would also point out that there are good places in Dallas metro area and bad places. That is probably true of most big cities. Just be aware that you should steer clear of certain areas such as Oak Cliff, for example. It is inhabited almost entirely by gangs and thugs.
    This pretty much sums it up. I live in the DFW area too and the laws and attitudes are very pro-firearm. Oakcliff and parts of south Dallas are not the best. Good Luck to you.

I don't know if you ever got the answer to your question about hospital parking lots. You CAN leave your ccw in your vehicle in a hospital parking lot, I made sure to ask that at my CHL class. Hope it helps.

Quote Originally Posted by chris2011 View Post
    This pretty much sums it up. I live in the DFW area too and the laws and attitudes are very pro-firearm. Oakcliff and parts of south Dallas are not the best. Good Luck to you.
    South Oak Cliff, the Cedar Crest area and South Dallas were pretty bad when I lived there in the late 70s.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Tn_Mike,

One thing to keep in mind is that most hospitals do post teh required 30.06 signs so you will not be able to carry inside the building.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links