Tell me about the carry laws in TEXAS.....

This is a discussion on Tell me about the carry laws in TEXAS..... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As everyone is aware I'm sure, I'm not happy in Indiana. Well, it looks like there may a light at the end of the tunnel. ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Tell me about the carry laws in TEXAS.....

As everyone is aware I'm sure, I'm not happy in Indiana. Well, it looks like there may a light at the end of the tunnel. A possible job in Texas with a large medical imaging company doing field service work. Very good money and an extremely good company to work for. I may know more in the next couple of months. But, the job would be in the Dallas Texas area. I know nothing of Texas other than I like their attitude so i think I would be fine with it.

So please, anyone from Texas, especially the Dallas area, fill me in.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I don't live in Texas so I can't say, but I just wanted to wish you luck!
    "Don't start none, won't be none!"

I carry just about anywhere I go except for the usual Federal buildings,Courthouses,and Judges Justice of the Peace,businesses that post no guns has to be a legal 30.06 sign.Castle Doctrine is pretty good and extends outdside your home,mischief/theft during the night can be grounds to use deadly force to stop the act/theft,you can keep your handgun in your vehicle at work even if you can't carry at work,no duty to retreat,can come to the aid of a 3rd party etc
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I am a newbie when it comes to carrying in Texas with my Arizona permit but I went to this website to find out more...

Handgunlaw.us
    Operation Enduring Freedom Veteran

I live in Ft.Worth, but as you know that is considered part of the same metro area as Dallas. The laws here are almost perfect. We have shall-issue permits. We have castle doctrine so we can stand up for ourselves and we have no duty to retreat. We can carry guns in our cars even without a permit (assuming no felonies). We can chase people down and shoot people in the back for stealing our property. Or really, I guess I should rephrase that.. We can chase people down and shoot them in the back to retrieve our stolen property. We can carry on school grounds, just not in the buildings. Signs on businesses that say "no guns" are meaningless to us if we have a CHL. They must post a full 30.06 sign and have the correct size and everything for it to actually be legit. And there are very, very few businesses that actually post such signs.

When I say "almost perfect" the only thing I believe could make our laws better is if we also had the option to open-carry. We may actually have a shot at that in 2013, but at the moment it is concealed only. On the bright side, I've never heard of anyone getting into trouble in Texas for accidental exposure or printing. The law is very clear that the CHL holder must "intentionally fail to conceal" in order to be in violation.

I would also point out that there are good places in Dallas metro area and bad places. That is probably true of most big cities. Just be aware that you should steer clear of certain areas such as Oak Cliff, for example. It is inhabited almost entirely by gangs and thugs.
    RETSUPT99 likes this.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

I always prefer reading the original source myself, so here ya go:

TxDPS - CHL Related Laws

The only thing that won't be in this is the just changed (as of 1 Sep 11) statute that an employer cannot restrict employees from keeping a lawfully owned firearm in their vehicle at the site of work. This applies whether you have a Texas CHL or not (in fact, no license to carry from any state is required to possess a firearm in your vehicle in Texas).

OpJ

Quote Originally Posted by OperatorJ View Post
    I always prefer reading the original source myself, so here ya go:

TxDPS - CHL Related Laws

The only thing that won't be in this is the just changed (as of 1 Sep 11) statute that an employer cannot restrict employees from keeping a lawfully owned firearm in their vehicle at the site of work. This applies whether you have a Texas CHL or not (in fact, no license to carry from any state is required to possess a firearm in your vehicle in Texas).

OpJ
    Thanks to everyone. I am already aware of Handgunlaw.us but always like to hear from those who actually live under the laws of a state as well.

I wonder about something with the parking lot law that just took effect. Something I have never had to wonder about before as every job I have had was always in a facility that I went to every day. The job I may be taking would be that of a Field Service Engineer. I would be repairing and maintaining MRI and other medical imaging equipment at various hospitals around the Dallas area. So I wonder how the parking lot law would apply to a job such as this. Maybe it wouldn't in reality. I would be treated as any other visitor to the hospital.

This is all very preliminary so i am more speculating than anything else.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Several posts above outline the benefits of CHL in TX though one I found particularly interesting was that with a TX CHL you can carry in the State Capital though you will have to go through the metal detectors and inform security that you are carrying.

Quote Originally Posted by Xdav View Post
    Several posts above outline the benefits of CHL in TX though one I found particularly interesting was that with a TX CHL you can carry in the State Capital though you will have to go through the metal detectors and inform security that you are carrying.
    That is friggin awesome. Now I am really, REALLY hoping to get this job. Texas sounds like a good state as far as carry is concerned.

Welcome to the site Xdav!
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

the 30.06 signs were mentioned but the TABC 51% signs must not be ignored either, those are for bars that make 51% of their income from liquor sales. a place with a 51% sign is a no go. another thing not mentioned is that you must inform law enforcement when in contact with them that you are carrying. in other words when stopped and asked for ID you show them both your d/l and your carry permit. Other than that and the usual prohibitions like federal buildings, police stations, courts and so on TX has no gotcha laws.

VIP Member
    Don't forget to get air conditioned underwear for the summer months (all 11 of them), you'll need it!
    baren and Slafav like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Thumbs up

The CCW deal will be well covered here, so here goes on other stuff...........

Texas can be a great state. I lived in the DFW area for six years, then Bonham Texas for 6 years. There are a lot of nice folks, nice areas. Do your research: David Savageau's Places Rated Home Page | Places Rated

The state does not have an income tax, but beware of the Real Estate Tax and Sales Taxes.

The DFW area is a HUGE SMSA so choose where you look for housing very carefully relative to your work routes/coverage area. There are some very fine public school systems in the Metro, as well as some fine private schools. It is easy to spend too much time in traffic in the Metro, so be careful.

I am guessing at the company, but they are first class, and there are some top notch hospitals and Med Centers in DFW and there must be a lot of demand for the product, so it sounds like nice job security.

Last, but not least: DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT try to go to work if there is snow or ice on the ground. YOU may be an expert on both (I'd guess you're pretty good on both), but ya got 8 million folks that THINK they are and by golly they have 4WD and they saw snow once 18 years ago and ice 19 years ago and they know how to drive on it! Yep. GUARANTEED.
    TN_Mike and baren like this.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

You know Mike Texas is kind of our "sister state"

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    Mike, since you love TN but have not found a job back in Memphis, why not expand your search to Nashville, Knoxville and all parts in between.

I personally would not want to live in Dallas but there are definitely worse places to live. You might love it!

Mike, everything I've seen about TX is it is much like TN minus OC.

30.06 (did I cite the right code) is like TN's sign law and hold legal penalties.

I think you will get used to minor differences quickly.

Sent from my M865 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links