1911 Benefits Questions

This is a discussion on 1911 Benefits Questions within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know that 1911s have a very strong following. So today at the range I rented a full size one and tried it. It shot ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: 1911 Benefits Questions

1911 Benefits Questions

I know that 1911s have a very strong following. So today at the range I rented a full size one and tried it. It shot smoothly and very accurately -- I was impressed.

I have a few questions:

1. What are the reasons the 1911s are so popular?
    2. Are these benefits true for the 'compact' (carry-non-full-size) versions of the 1911s?
    3. Since 1911s tend to be very expensive, is there a big difference between expensive ones >$1100 and the ones advertized for about $600-$800?

FiringDragon

Your opinions and insights are greatly appreciated!
    ------------------------------>
    Shoot Straight

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FiringDragon View Post
    I know that 1911s have a very strong following. So today at the range I rented a full size one and tried it. It shot smoothly and very accurately -- I was impressed.

I have a few questions:

1. What are the reasons the 1911s are so popular?
    2. Are these benefits true for the 'compact' (carry-non-full-size) versions of the 1911s?
    3. Since 1911s tend to be very expensive, is there a big difference between expensive ones >$1100 and the ones advertized for about $600-$800?

FiringDragon

Your opinions and insights are greatly appreciated!
    I have a few questions:
    What are the reasons the 1911s are so popular? Very accurate, best trigger around
    Are these benefits true for the 'compact' (carry-non-full-size) versions of the 1911s? Yes
    Since 1911s tend to be very expensive, is there a big difference between expensive ones >$1100 and the ones advertized for about $600-$800? A thousand dollar 1911 is not what I would consider very expensive. This is the price range in which I think you get the best quality for your money.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

VIP Member
    answers:

1) The trigger, the trigger and the trigger!

2) Yes, but some of the smaller sized guns can be more fussy with different ammo types.

3) Yes, for the most part. There is no such thing as a free lunch and the more you pay, the more you get in terms of quality parts and fitting (for the most part). There are, however, some very nice 1911s out there that you could look to start with. The Springfield loaded stainless comes to mind.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Just pick up a Rock Island and enjoy.

The difference by and large between the $600 and the 1K+ is reliability in the role as a defense weapon.
    As a minimum I would take a pistol like a stock springfield that is a GI issue spec pistol. It is fairly reliable with Ball Ammo but will have feed and ejecting problems with
    some HP ammo. The things to make reliable would be to ramp and throat the barrel and lower the ejection port. Need to have the trigger worked to no less than 3.5 -4 lbs
    I would not go lower than that, also make sure the reset on the trigger is minimal. I would have the sharp edges melted some to prevent snagging and I would put a Combat Skeleton Hammer with a new beaver tail with a good rise on the bottom to ensure positive engagement when you grip. One set of Novak or similar night sights. Now you have a custom pistol that cost 1K+, but it is reliable. We did not talk about the barrel being replaced or the barrel bushing or polishing the rails or tightening, so you accuracy should be fine as self defense at 7-10 yards but it is not going to be a tack diver. The .45 is a very nostalgic and proven round with a great and long lived design and I think
    that has a lot to do with the 1911 longevity and I would be remiss if I i not mention the feel, nothing feels like a 1911 in the hand and they point very naturally.

C hawk Glock has spoken the Truth.

Best combat trigger;
    flat, concealable frame;
    chambered for good defensive cartridges.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

1. For me good fit in my hand and comes on target very easy. Trigger. Safeties.
    2. I have heard that the smaller ones specifically 3" are somewhat finicky. My 3" Kimber ultra eclipse has been good so far but I have not put enough rounds
    through it to swear by it and that is just one gun.
    3. I agree with C Hawk that $1000 is a good quality per dollar range. I do think that you can get a decent 1911 for $700 to $800.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    C hawk Glock has spoken the Truth.

Best combat trigger;
    flat, concealable frame;
    chambered for good defensive cartridges.
    And never forget, if you should run out of ammo it is heavy and strong enough to make a very effective club, try that with a plastic gun.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Distinguished Member Array CDW4ME's Avatar
    The 1911 is relatively thin & flat which assist comfortable IWB carry.
    In the $1,000 range you can get various new Colt 1911's and IMO that's a good starting point or minimum (Defender, Commander, Government model).
    Colt uses about 4 small parts that are MIM (metal injection molding) while other pistols in this price range utilize more MIM.
    I prefer a steel (or cast) part to one made from powered metal, that's why I said Colt is a good starting point or minimum.
    If you increase your budget to about $1,400 you can get Dan Wesson which utilizes all steel small parts, cut checkering on the front strap and night sights.
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

C Hawk is right on the money. And, as someone else mentioned, the flat profile makes it a breeze to carry in a soft calfskin self molding IWB.

Another plus is with those bullets being pretty darn near a half inch wide, one need not worry about HP performance. Heck, I use FMJ in my spare mag.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Find a friend that has one, or a range that rents one. Go shoot one, something like a Colt XSE or Springfield loaded which can be found in the $700-900 range.

Thats really the easiest way to have it explained to you.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

As fellow forum members stated, its all about the trigger...AND 1911's, unlike other handguns have SOUL. My Colt's, Kimber and S&W required a little tweeking and a short breakin. My Les Baer on the other hand was perfect out of the box, as some would compare...like a GLOCK. You get what you pay for I guess. Good Luck, you should find many good 1911's in your price range.

I'd seriously take a look at the new Ruger. I recently shot the Gunsite 250 course and one individual had a factory new Ruger SR 1911. It ran flawlessly (1000 + rounds) and it looks great too.

Quote Originally Posted by G23shootist View Post
    The difference by and large between the $600 and the 1K+ is reliability in the role as a defense weapon.
    As a minimum I would take a pistol like a stock springfield that is a GI issue spec pistol. It is fairly reliable with Ball Ammo but will have feed and ejecting problems with
    some HP ammo. The things to make reliable would be to ramp and throat the barrel and lower the ejection port. Need to have the trigger worked to no less than 3.5 -4 lbs
    I would not go lower than that, also make sure the reset on the trigger is minimal. I would have the sharp edges melted some to prevent snagging and I would put a Combat Skeleton Hammer with a new beaver tail with a good rise on the bottom to ensure positive engagement when you grip. One set of Novak or similar night sights. Now you have a custom pistol that cost 1K+, but it is reliable. We did not talk about the barrel being replaced or the barrel bushing or polishing the rails or tightening, so you accuracy should be fine as self defense at 7-10 yards but it is not going to be a tack diver. The .45 is a very nostalgic and proven round with a great and long lived design and I think
    that has a lot to do with the 1911 longevity and I would be remiss if I i not mention the feel, nothing feels like a 1911 in the hand and they point very naturally.
    That is a lot of work for a new 1911 shooter. I would point him at a semi-custom if that is what he was interested in and knew what he wanted in the gun.

A lot of people like the 1911 for these reasons.

Proven combat design. 100 years old for cryin' out loud.
    .45 ACP effectiveness. It is a show stopper.
    Fits (most) hands well. You love them or hate them.
    Very customizable to make it what you want.
    FLAT single stack carry. Does not carry like a 2X4 or brick.

And I believe that it is just as easy to carry a commander or full size as a compact and you don't have to worry about bullet velocity,

Jess
    "Whenever a strong man, fully armed and equipped, is guarding his own castle, he enjoys peaceful possession of his property" Luke 11:21ontarget1911@gmail.com
    OnTarget LLC Custom Gunworks
    http://www.ontargetcgw.com

Thank you everybody!

If anyone else has more to contribute -- please do.

FiringDragon
    ------------------------------>
    Shoot Straight

Never a problem with this one.

http://www.treasureislandbedandbreakfast.com
    Ed Brown Kobra Carry | HK P7M8, P2000sk, P30s | Sig P238, P239SAS, 1911 C3, P232, P938 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Kimber Covert Ultra II | Browning HP, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed| Walter PPK(1966) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links