CCW Denied, Oklahoma

This is a discussion on CCW Denied, Oklahoma within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Don't put words in my mouth. What you quoted as being from me is not from me. My only prior post is post #20. And ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: CCW Denied, Oklahoma

VIP Member
    Don't put words in my mouth. What you quoted as being from me is not from me.

My only prior post is post
    #20. And I stand by my opinion as posted.

People don't forget that they were arrested.
    atctimmy likes this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by 74 View Post
    First of all, the OK app asks for a lot of info I haven't seen other states ask about.
    The more I read about other states requirements and hoops to jump through, the more and more I really love living in Missouri. Truly a gun friendly state all around.

The only real bad things are that the permit is only good for 3 year, and we do not issue non-resident permits (although we accept permits from any other state). We really could/should issue a longer permit. And I would love to see a lifetime permit like Indiana.
    Eagleks likes this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    As to why this is important, that should be obvious. Your being in possession of a prohibited weapon (or hanging with folks who were in possession --stupid people-of a prohibited weapon) goes to your character and judgment and suitability to carry.
    I don't see anywhere in this thread any mention of possessing or being with people who are in possession of a prohibited weapon or being prohibited themselves.

Just because someone fails to qualify for a carry permit does not mean they are necessarily prohibited from ownership.

Oklahoma CCW site :
    Link : Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation - SDA FAQs

Frequently Asked Questions about Conceal Carry Permits
    I am not sure what is on my record and I want to include the correct information on my application, should I run a Criminal History Record Search before filling out my application?

The OSBI conducts a background check at the local, state and national levels as part of the application process. It is not necessary for you to run a Criminal History Record search on yourself before filing your application. However, if you are unsure about any arrest/conviction information on your record and feel it would help with accuracy on your application, you are welcome to do so. Please bear in mind that the OSBI is only a repository for the State of Oklahoma. Any arrests or convictions you had in another State will not show on the rap sheet given with an Oklahoma Criminal History Search.
    A good rule of thumb would be if you were arrested and fingerprinted, you should include that information on your application.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

VIP Member
    I don't see anywhere in this thread any mention of possessing or being with people who are in possession of a prohibited weapon or being prohibited themselves. Just because someone fails to qualify for a carry permit does not mean they are necessarily prohibited from ownership.
    There was a participant in this thread other than the OP. The OP's dad had nothing to do with being in possession of a prohibited weapon.

Another participant stated that he had been arrested for possession of brass knuckles, had not listed that arrest on an OK application because it happened years earlier in TX. I was responding to the second participants comment.

It gets confusing, and you are correct to the extent that the OP did not say a word about weapons charges.

My main point was people do not forget that they were arrested; especially the first time and if they were sober.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    I don't see anywhere in this thread any mention of possessing or being with people who are in possession of a prohibited weapon or being prohibited themselves.

Just because someone fails to qualify for a carry permit does not mean they are necessarily prohibited from ownership.
    As Hopyard stated in his post, this was in reference to Maat's post #18.

I hate to appear to start trouble here, but I really don't buy into that "I didn't remember" stuff. People know and remember if they were arrested. Heck, I remember a traffic ticket from 1971 for "an improper turn."

OP'S dad looked up the record, saw that the offense wasn't there, and thought he could get by without mentioning it. Turned out he was wrong.

One thing the human brain doesn't want to do is get embarrassed. Maybe dad just didn't want the OP to know about that episode, or to know about the details, and so he took a chance. Now he has to deal with the unfortunate consequences.
    Hello. What I have typed up for you is my assumption of someone I do not even know. Please, read this and know that what I say is the truth and how it happened.
    So I can make it clear as to what I am referring to, I have quoted your response and highlighted it in red. How is my above quote from you, which I have altered but remained truthful as to the statement you made, any different? If there would have been an "I think the OP's dad..." before the start of that sentence then it would have been no big deal. But you typed it as a fact. Like you know the truth.

And for the record, he was never arrested for the insufficient check.

Now I would ask you one more time, please refrain from posting your knowledge in this thread. I believe it will do fine with the absence.

Oklahoma CC law : http://www.ok.gov/osbi/documents/SDA...k_NOV_2010.pdf

on Page 7 :

The occurrence of any one of the following conditions shall deny the person the right to have a handgun license pursuant to the provisions of the Oklahoma Self- Defense Act. Prohibited conditions are:
    1. Ineligible to possess a pistol due to any felony conviction or adjudication as a delinquent as provided by Section 1283 of this title, except as provided in subsection B of Section 1283 of this title;
    2. Any felony conviction pursuant to any law of another state, a felony conviction pursuant to any provision of the United States Code, or any conviction pursuant to the laws of any foreign country, provided such foreign conviction would constitute a felony offense in this state if the offense had been committed in this state, except as provided in subsection B of Section 1283 of this title;
    3. Adjudication as an incompetent person pursuant to the provisions of the Oklahoma Mental Health Law, Section 1-101 et seq. of Title 43A of the Oklahoma Statutes or an adjudication of incompetency entered in another state pursuant to any provision of law of that state;
    4. Any false or misleading statement on the application for a handgun license as provided by paragraph 5 of Section 1290.12 of this title;
    5. Conviction of any one of the following misdemeanor offenses in this state or in any other state:

Page 11 :

If an application is denied, the Bureau shall notify the applicant in writing of its decision. The notification shall state the grounds for the denial and inform the applicant of the right to an appeal as may be provided by the provisions of the Administrative Procedures Act.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Again.... an attorney can probably tell him, but he may be able to get a 25 yr old conviction expunged and erased from the record, and reapply .... letting the Atty Gen office know the what's and why's.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    Again.... an attorney can probably tell him, but he may be able to get a 25 yr old conviction expunged and erased from the record, and reapply .... letting the Atty Gen office know the what's and why's.
    Yeah, we imagine we'll be able to contact them and have it go through after the appeal. I'l be contacting an attorney Tuesday.

Now, let's wish your appeal will be succeed.
    Eagleks likes this.

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    Maybe I am missing something but how would an expungement change the requirements of the question "Have you ever been arrested?"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sevrenth View Post
    So I can make it clear as to what I am referring to, I have quoted your response and highlighted it in red. How is my above quote from you, which I have altered but remained truthful as to the statement you made, any different? If there would have been an "I think the OP's dad..." before the start of that sentence then it would have been no big deal. But you typed it as a fact. Like you know the truth.

And for the record, he was never arrested for the insufficient check.

Now I would ask you one more time, please refrain from posting your knowledge in this thread. I believe it will do fine with the absence.
    Sometimes the truth hurts kid. Your dad tried to pull a fast one (for reasons known only to him) and it bit him on the hind end. Now it will be two or three times as hard to get a permit and probably a bunch more money will need to be spent.

I can tell you this with 100% fact though, your dad remembers that scrape with the law. He didn't forget about it. He may have thought it was no big deal, but he didn't forget about it. If he got charged with check fraud HE REMEMBERS IT!

When the form said "ALL" it meant all. Your dad chose to omit something and he was denied. That doesn't make him a bad person and it shouldn't prevent him from being able to carry. In the end, though, it still his fault for not putting it on there.

Sometimes the truth hurts and you don't get to pick and choose who responds to your posts.
    Majorlk and Hopyard like this.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Sometimes the truth hurts kid. Your dad tried to pull a fast one (for reasons known only to him) and it bit him on the hind end. Now it will be two or three times as hard to get a permit and probably a bunch more money will need to be spent.

I can tell you this with 100% fact though, your dad remembers that scrape with the law. He didn't forget about it. He may have thought it was no big deal, but he didn't forget about it. If he got charged with check fraud HE REMEMBERS IT!

When the form said "ALL" it meant all. Your dad chose to omit something and he was denied. That doesn't make him a bad person and it shouldn't prevent him from being able to carry. In the end, though, it still his fault for not putting it on there.

Sometimes the truth hurts and you don't get to pick and choose who responds to your posts.
    I always find it hilarious when someone with absolutely 0 knowledge of a situation can say something "with 100% fact".

acttimmy, I can tell you this with 100% fact...you can't speak about this incident with 100% anything....so get off the high horse and recognize that sometimes the "authorities" dont get it right.

Quote Originally Posted by Sevrenth View Post

When you post on a public forum, you are going to get replies, some you will like and some you won't. Just goes with the territory.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links