Applebees in Ohio posting no guns! Need your activism ASAP

This is a discussion on Applebees in Ohio posting no guns! Need your activism ASAP within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by glockman10mm If carrying a CW in an establishment posted against it results in a felony in Ohio, well, that's crazy. Looks to ...

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Applebees in Ohio posting no guns! Need your activism ASAP

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    If carrying a CW in an establishment posted against it results in a felony in Ohio, well, that's crazy. Looks to me like you need to spend more effort on changing crazy laws than worrying about what a private business establishment is doing.
    I am fairly certain it is a felony only when violated in establishments mandated by law, such as government buildings, schools, etc.

2. Remove Ads

Here is the email I just sent them.

"I understand you have a policy in some areas to prohibit responsible citizens licensed by their state to carry concealed firearms in your establishments. I am a retired commanding officer of a sheriff's department and a police academy certfied firearms instructor, but no longer a law enforcement officer. As a civilian I have personally stopped 2 dangerous situations that were taking place in public establishments, one being a restaurant with someone to whom they served too much alcohol and began threatening people with a large hunting knife. It can happen anywhere and it is exactly why so many states now allow qualified, responsible people to carry firearms.

One consideration you may not have thought of; if I were injured in one of your restaurants and had been prohibited from eating there unless I left my gun in my car, I would probably own that building and real estate in a short period of time, and I would advise other customers present that they could probably join me in the suit.

These people have all had criminal background checks and training. How about treating your customers with the same respect the state shows them? When you do my friends and I will again patronize Applebees, and your restaurants will actually be more safe. If I were a bad guy and knew your policy, yours would be the first place I would hit."
    BioGLoCK23 and gunsnroses like this.
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum

Member Array pleasantguywhopacks's Avatar
    If carrying a CW in an establishment posted against it results in a felony in Ohio, well, that's crazy. Looks to me like you need to spend more effort on changing crazy laws than worrying about what a private business establishment is doing.
    Small bites at the elephant sir. We just got carry passed this year in places that serve after three years trying. It is only a felony in places that serve and post and you ignore the signage. All others that are not liquor serving it is a M1.
    When seconds count, police are only minutes away!
    OFCC Patron
    Buckeye Firearms Assoc. supporter
    Life Member NRA

Quote Originally Posted by DepOne View Post

"I understand you have a policy in some areas to prohibit responsible citizens licensed by their state to carry concealed firearms in your establishments. I am a retired commanding officer of a sheriff's department and a police academy certfied firearms instructor, but no longer a law enforcement officer. As a civilian I have personally stopped 2 dangerous situations that were taking place in public establishments, one being a restaurant with someone to whom they served too much alcohol and began threatening people with a large hunting knife. It can happen anywhere and it is exactly why so many states now allow qualified, responsible people to carry firearms.

One consideration you may not have thought of; if I were injured in one of your restaurants and had been prohibited from eating there unless I left my gun in my car, I would probably own that building and real estate in a short period of time, and I would advise other customers present that they could probably join me in the suit.

These people have all had criminal background checks and training. How about treating your customers with the same respect the state shows them? When you do my friends and I will again patronize Applebees, and your restaurants will actually be more safe. If I were a bad guy and knew your policy, yours would be the first place I would hit."
    It's good to see someone on an internet forum who can formulate a sentence, and thanks for contributing to the cause.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    I am fairly certain it is a felony only when violated in establishments mandated by law, such as government buildings, schools, etc.
    Add places that serve..if you ignore the signage ie: "concealed means concealed" and get caught you're done owning a gun.
    OFCC Patron
    Life Member NRA

Depone,

Thanks!
    OFCC Patron
    Life Member NRA

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Every establishment has the right to post their premises as they see fit, and is a right I will respect. I have the right to frequent the establishments I choose, and is one I will exercise.
    That. Eat there, or eat elsewhere. The choice is yours.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pleasantguywhopacks View Post
    I understand that, but this is more of the big picture of making them do the right thing...
    I'm guessing that you would not appreciate it if someone else elected themselves to be your moral compass. Enforcing your rights on others, only limits their rights. Their property, their place of business, their rules.
    Majorlk likes this.

Add places that serve..if you ignore the signage ie: "concealed means concealed" and get caught you're done owning a gun.
    I am fairly certain a place that serves and posts is now the same as any other place that is not a "forbidden carry zone" per the law. Which means it is not a felony.

Now, if you carry your gun into a place that serves and consume alcohol, that is a felony.

And I don't really like Applebees, plenty of places I like more around here that I haven't seen posted yet. But I'll give them a call. But generally I think that if a place likes to deprive me of the rights I fought overseas for on their property, I will respect that, and deprive them of my money.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    You can crusade all you want, and I respect that, but you have to understand it's not against concealed carriers, it's a matter of insurance as well. Go in eat, be discreet and get out. No harm no foul.
    This is the worst kind of advice. The fact is that we should respect their rights to control their property. We are free to find CCW friendly establishments instead.

Every establishment has the right to post their premises as they see fit, and is a right I will respect. I have the right to frequent the establishments I choose, and is one I will exercise.
    This is great advice. Please follow it.

Quote Originally Posted by DepOne View Post

You would not own that building and real estate. As you decided to enter the establishment of your own free will and with knowledge that you could not carry a gun. The fact is that the business owner is not responsible for the actions of a criminal who enters their establishment.
    tacman605 likes this.

If no voice is expressed nothing will change in any thing. We should voice ourselves to buisnesses that discriminate.
    OFCC Patron
    Life Member NRA

If no voice is expressed nothing will change in any thing. We should voice ourselves to buisnesses that discriminate.
    When your in someone elses home you should follow there rules. Its been the law of the land and will continue to be. You should find another establishment to eat in.

Here is a good example. You come into my home with muddy shoes, I ask you to take them off, you do not at that point you have to leave. My house, my rules. This establishment decided to do the same thing. No really much of a difference is there?
    Majorlk likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    When your in someone elses home you should follow there rules. Its been the law of the land and will continue to be. You should find another establishment to eat in.

Here is a good example. You come into my home with muddy shoes, I ask you to take them off, you do not at that point you have to leave. My house, my rules. This establishment decided to do the same thing. No really much of a difference is there?
    Ahh but there is the rub. Their house "Apple American" is saying they post all their franchises. They don't. They can't. Some states don't have force of law that allows it. They are just picking ones in Ohio and saying no. The franchisee is being disingenous in their statement of why. Saying uniformity of policy.

If your OK with that then fine.
    OFCC Patron
    Life Member NRA

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links