Applebees in Ohio posting no guns! Need your activism ASAP

This is a discussion on Applebees in Ohio posting no guns! Need your activism ASAP within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I totally understand and support a private business in their right to post a sign such as they do in Ohio...but I think the penalty ...

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Applebees in Ohio posting no guns! Need your activism ASAP

I totally understand and support a private business in their right to post a sign such as they do in Ohio...but I think the penalty should be more equal to a parking ticket rather then a misdemeanor or felony in some cases. JMO.

Edit:
    "If you take away the claws and teeth from a Lion, all your left with is a Big Cat."-unknown

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsnroses View Post
    I totally understand and support a private business in their right to post a sign such as they do in Ohio...but I think the penalty should be more equal to a parking ticket rather then a misdemeanor or felony in some cases. JMO.
    I think it should be akin to, if you create a disturbance and get called out and asked to leave then you must do so or face a "parking ticket" level fine. I agree that the penalty and weight attached to those signs is too high. If it weren't, why do we often times hear the mantra "concealed means concealed" even if it isn't a suitable response on DC in response to this argument? In fact, though technically illegal, this is the advice given out in the CCW class that I took and I have heard of other instructors telling them the same. The fact is that it forces a permit holder to chose amongst conflicting priorities and I can assure that that respect for some business' "property rights" loses more often than it wins. In fact, in many states failure to abide by one of these signs is grounds for being asked to leave and failure to do so is then chargeable as a trespass violation. I imagine it has a compliance rate about as high as speed limit signs.

If you get to a place, ie Applebee's, and see the posted sign, do you have to leave the property totally? Or, instead, can you legally secure your gun in your car parked at Applebee's and then go in and eat, if you so choose. (I would leave since I wouldn't want them to have my money but sometimes I'm just a driver for others and I couldn't leave them stranded!)
    Carpe Diem

Member Array pleasantguywhopacks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DAO.Diva View Post
    If you get to a place, ie Applebee's, and see the posted sign, do you have to leave the property totally? Or, instead, can you legally secure your gun in your car parked at Applebee's and then go in and eat, if you so choose. (I would leave since I wouldn't want them to have my money but sometimes I'm just a driver for others and I couldn't leave them stranded!)
    No you do not have to leave the lot if the building is posted the building is off limits. If a lot is posted it is civil trespass and then they would have to prove you damaged them is some way just having a gun on you or in the car. Not likely.
    Firearm.Fan.Girl likes this.
    When seconds count, police are only minutes away!
    OFCC Patron
    Buckeye Firearms Assoc. supporter
    Life Member NRA

Update:

It appears Applebees had disabled the site function to see who owns which franchises. They must be feeling the heat. It also may be Thomas and King that own posting franchises. I would include them as possible offenders and let Applebees sort it out. It can't hurt to let franchises know that we don't like being barred. The key is to let corporate do the scolding. In any event the calls are having an effect.

Thanks all!
    OFCC Patron
    Life Member NRA

Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post
    I think it should be akin to, if you create a disturbance and get called out and asked to leave then you must do so or face a "parking ticket" level fine. I agree that the penalty and weight attached to those signs is too high. If it weren't, why do we often times hear the mantra "concealed means concealed" even if it isn't a suitable response on DC in response to this argument? In fact, though technically illegal, this is the advice given out in the CCW class that I took and I have heard of other instructors telling them the same. The fact is that it forces a permit holder to chose amongst conflicting priorities and I can assure that that respect for some business' "property rights" loses more often than it wins. In fact, in many states failure to abide by one of these signs is grounds for being asked to leave and failure to do so is then chargeable as a trespass violation. I imagine it has a compliance rate about as high as speed limit signs.
    I think the penalty should be based on your stupidity? I.E. (lowest) You did it and you know you weren't suppose to = "infraction ticket. slap on the wrist....minor fine."

The charges/fines/arrest/etc gets heavier based on the individuals stupidity?

Gunsnroses for second district!!!! Jean Schmidt better watch out???!!!

I go to Applebees in NYS while carrying and they are not posted. I am very disappointed by this restaurant in Ohio. Also, in New York we can have a drink and sit at the bar.

Please call or email or both and let corporate know you are not going to spend any money in their restaurants anywhere until they fix this. Ohio allows carry in these establishments providing one isn't drinking. This new law covers all non resident concealed licenses that have reciprocity with Ohio.
    OFCC Patron
    Life Member NRA

Perhaps not all Ohio Applebees

I drove past the Applebees in Macedonia, Ohio today. I didn't see a sign. Certainly not a full sized one. So perhaps it isn't all Ohio Applebees.

It would be better if you knew what the policy was of any nearby Applebee's competitors and when you wrote or called corporate HQ, mention that since so and so competitor is not posted, you will go across the street instead. Threats to bounce mean something, but specific loss of business to a competitor means so much more.

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    It tickles me that when any restaurant is involved with a firearms dispute, the first posting people start making on the subject is the establishment's food is lousy. I'd love for just once to see someone say, it doesn't matter if I can carry there or not, I love their food.

I know this statement is heresy on this forum, but whether or not I can carry in a particular restaurant is NOT the determining factor on my decision to eat there.

FWIW, I have not seen any posted Applebee's in Connecticut - or any other chain restaurants, for that matter.
    I agree. When someone allows CCW, it is annoying to see everyone say how wonderful they are. Fact is that Applebees has OK food. But allowing CCW or not does not change whether their food is good or not.

VIP Member
    I have family that live in Cincinnati and when I go to visit and we eat out, those places that mandate me to disarm (non class D and prior to SB17) I normally leave a "No guns NO money" card (from OFCC) inside the check folder with my signed CC and tip receipt.

G-N-R not being mean but is this not like closing the barn door after the horses are already out? This is just me but I dont think the fact that you leave a business card in the check folder saying that you will not spend your money there as you are spending your money there will make any great impression.
    Stubborn likes this.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    I thought that leaving the card like that was a novel, yet unobtrusive approach that doesn't make a scene that will draw the attention of other customers, potentially embarrassing the staff or manager over a sensitive subject. However, there is a good chance that the card will simply go in file 13 by the server when the collect the bill. I imagine that it will depend upon their beliefs on the subject and whether or not they have an opinion that supports yours, in which case they may take it to the manager. Alternatively, if it is worth the time, you could ask to speak to the manager, offer them a card and ask them to please reconsider their position. Having (hopefully) spent a decent amount of money, and been a nice, polite customer, leaving a decent gratuity, you might have a chance to plant a seed of thought in the manager's head and maybe that seed will grow into something productive.

As far as leaving your weapons in your vehicle, well history has shown multiple times the problem with that approach. While the likelihood of getting caught in a situation is very rare, so is the need to ever deploy your weapon in SD, in general. Unless you are religious about keeping it with you, there is a better probability that the time you really do need it, that it will be maddeningly just out of reach.

Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    I have family that live in Cincinnati and when I go to visit and we eat out, those places that mandate me to disarm (non class D and prior to SB17) I normally leave a "No guns NO money" card (from OFCC) inside the check folder with my signed CC and tip receipt.

G-N-R not being mean but is this not like closing the barn door after the horses are already out? This is just me but I dont think the fact that you leave a business card in the check folder saying that you will not spend your money there as you are spending your money there will make any great impression.
    No, your not being mean at all. Its a good question. The family I dine with are not ccw, so it a bit awkward for me to say "we cant go there" and then have to explain why. Leaving a card is just my little activism I do for Ohio while I'm there. Also, concealed is Concealed
    Firearm.Fan.Girl likes this.

VIP Member
    I just checked the Applebees in Marion, Ohio, and the only sign I saw was the generic one issued by the Dept. of Liquor Control. I take that to mean there is no prohibition against lawful CHL, and will govern myself in accordance with that reasonable assumption.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Links