Applebees in Ohio posting no guns! Need your activism ASAP

This is a discussion on Applebees in Ohio posting no guns! Need your activism ASAP within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by gunsnroses Nope <shaking head> !!! It has to be conspicuous upon entering. Not in Ohio. "3) (a) Except as provided in division ...

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Applebees in Ohio posting no guns! Need your activism ASAP

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsnroses View Post
    Nope <shaking head> !!! It has to be conspicuous upon entering.
    Not in Ohio.
    "3) (a) Except as provided in division (C)(3)(b) of this section, the owner or person in control of private land or premises, and a private person or entity leasing land or premises owned by the state, the United States, or a political subdivision of the state or the United States, may post a sign in a conspicuous location on that land or on those premises prohibiting persons from carrying firearms or concealed firearms on or onto that land or those premises. Except as otherwise provided in this division, a person who knowingly violates a posted prohibition of that nature is guilty of criminal trespass in violation of division (A)(4) of section 2911.21 of the Revised Code and is guilty of a misdemeanor of the fourth degree. If a person knowingly violates a posted prohibition of that nature and the posted land or premises primarily was a parking lot or other parking facility, the person is not guilty of criminal trespass in violation of division (A)(4) of section 2911.21 of the Revised Code and instead is subject only to a civil cause of action for trespass based on the violation.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsnroses View Post
    Nope <shaking head> !!! It has to be conspicuous upon entering.
    From the Ohio AG's 2011 booklet on concealed carry "If you are not consuming, you may carry unless there is a conspicuous sign prohibiting carry." Nothing here, or in the law, requires the sign to be conspicuous upon entering, just conspicuous. Further, conspicuous is not defined by the law and is, therefore, open to interpretation.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    From the Ohio AG's 2011 booklet on concealed carry "If you are not consuming, you may carry unless there is a conspicuous sign prohibiting carry." Nothing here, or in the law, requires the sign to be conspicuous upon entering, just conspicuous. Further, conspicuous is not defined by the law and is, therefore, open to interpretation.
    Yes. I have been in several businesses which had the CPZ sign on the wall behind the service counter, well inside the premises.

Member Array pleasantguywhopacks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Are they the standard CPZ signs, or the ones unique to liquor establishments?
    Actual gun buster signs. Circle slash over a revolver....quoting the ORC section relevant.

No mistaking them. They are not the "you may be bla bla bla" liquor control signs.
    When seconds count, police are only minutes away!
    OFCC Patron
    Buckeye Firearms Assoc. supporter
    Life Member NRA

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    That is the one that counts. Thanks.
    That is the one Applebees is posting. Seen with my 20/10 lasik vision.
    OFCC Patron
    Life Member NRA

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pleasantguywhopacks View Post
    Actual gun buster signs. Circle slash over a revolver....quoting the ORC section relevant.

No mistaking them. They are not the you may be bla bla bla liquor contol signs.
    Got it. Like I mentioned earlier, they are not present in the Marion Applebees.

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    This may be splitting hairs, but the signs say "unless authorized by law, ... you may not have a weapon". Does not having a CCW permit authorize you by law to be carrying a gun in public? Could these signs not be read as equivalent to no ILLEGAL weapons? A gun in the hands of a licensed individual is not illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post
    This may be splitting hairs, but the signs say "unless authorized by law, ... you may not have a weapon". Does not having a CCW permit authorize you by law to be carrying a gun in public? Could these signs not be read as equivalent to no ILLEGAL weapons? A gun in the hands of a licensed individual is not illegal.
    No it doesn't cover you. Unless otherwise....pertains to law enforcement in Ohio. Concealed Handgun License isn't covered by that tantalizing few words unfortunately.
    OFCC Patron
    Life Member NRA

I stand corrected!!! :-p

Applebees can keep their crappy microwaved "food" as far as I'm concerned. I still can't believe people pay for that garbage.

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pleasantguywhopacks View Post
    If you drink and violate it yes it is a felony.
    It's also a felony to rob a bank using an IED. I didn't ask that question though.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lordhamster View Post
    Applebees can keep their crappy microwaved "food" as far as I'm concerned. I still can't believe people pay for that garbage.
    It's a matter of perspective. As an example, when traveling long distances, it is difficult to find things that are reliable, at least in terms of knowing what you can get. On those occasions, it is far better than a fast burger joint. I know we have some Richmond, VA area members here, who will relate to this one: I used to work on Laburnum Ave and places to go for lunch were very slim in picking and until the new mall plaza opened up near I64 the nearby Applebees was consistently standing room only. The food was mediocre at best and the service slow and lousy. When I worked there, we would routinely travel home on Friday nights. An Applebees opened in Southside, VA along I95. It was one of the few places along the route in southern VA and northern NC and the food quality was actually fairly good. After a few months, we had to stop going because even at 8pm you couldn't get into the place without a significant wait. Clearly they are doing something right.

VIP Member
    Here is the response I got from Applebees a few minutes ago.

October 20, 2011

Dear XXXX,

Thank you for your e-mail. Applebee’s strictly adheres to the local laws and ordinances passed in the communities we serve. Our expectation is that governing bodies will ensure these ordinances are fair and equal throughout a particular community or market so that we can serve each guest at the same consistently high level.

If your concern is about a certain Applebee’s location, we would appreciate any details you can provide about which location it is and any specific incidents that have occurred there. You can reply to this e-mail with any details and we will be happy to make sure the matter is thoroughly investigated.

Sincerely,

Kaylan B.
    Guest Relations Coordinator

Given that my local Applebees is not posted, I don't have much to forward back to them. Sounds like they may have had a change in policy or Corporate is making the franchisee adhere to corporate policies rather than run off on their own.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Given that my local Applebees is not posted, I don't have much to forward back to them. Sounds like they may have had a change in policy or Corporate is making the franchisee adhere to corporate policies rather than run off on their own.
    This is my take on the response. It is the same response that one gets from WalMart when they are notified that one of their stores doesn't follow state law. WalMart doesn't hesitate to "re-educate" errant store managers.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Here is the response I got from Applebees a few minutes ago.

October 20, 2011

Dear XXXX,

Thank you for your e-mail. Applebee’s strictly adheres to the local laws and ordinances passed in the communities we serve. Our expectation is that governing bodies will ensure these ordinances are fair and equal throughout a particular community or market so that we can serve each guest at the same consistently high level.

If your concern is about a certain Applebee’s location, we would appreciate any details you can provide about which location it is and any specific incidents that have occurred there. You can reply to this e-mail with any details and we will be happy to make sure the matter is thoroughly investigated.

Sincerely,

Kaylan B.
    Guest Relations Coordinator

Its up to you as far as how to respond, I have a list of the Thomas and King franchises. I don't know where you are located in Ohio.
    OFCC Patron
    Life Member NRA

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Links