Applebees in Ohio posting no guns! Need your activism ASAP

This is a discussion on Applebees in Ohio posting no guns! Need your activism ASAP within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well guys I applaud your efforts, I have a feeling there will be no long lasting effect, but I applaud them just the same. So ...

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Applebees in Ohio posting no guns! Need your activism ASAP

VIP Member
    Well guys I applaud your efforts, I have a feeling there will be no long lasting effect, but I applaud them just the same.

So since you will no longer eat at applebee's then you must also not use the local emergency room since their doctors and nurses are probably a member of an organization that is anti gun. Just turn off the TV now as many actors and singers are anti gun. Start home schooling your children now as most teachers are members of the anti gun organizations whether they know it or not. If you have a union job quit as most unions support the anti gun movement.

So don't eat there, I bet they wont really care. Just as one poster stated he put a no gun, no money card in the check folder after he ate, boy I bet they cringed at that business card. Property rights are property rights if you dont want to eat there dont but please do not preach how many members on this forum or others will not avoid applebee's because they post a sign in Ohio.
    jem102 likes this.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    Well guys I applaud your efforts, I have a feeling there will be no long lasting effect, but I applaud them just the same.
    If we do nothing, we will gain nothing. Most 2nd-A rights were won through effort. Now, some idiot wants to take that away. We can't afford to be apathetic and do nothing.
    So since you will no longer eat at applebee's then you must also not use the local emergency room since their doctors and nurses are probably a member of an organization that is anti gun. Just turn off the TV now as many actors and singers are anti gun. Start home schooling your children now as most teachers are members of the anti gun organizations whether they know it or not. If you have a union job quit as most unions support the anti gun movement.
    The guy can be as anti-gun as he wants to feel. The difference is that he is using his feelings as the basis to override otherwise legitimate legislation. The people of Ohio achieved a legal victory in getting the restaurant carry-ban passed and some stupid Tool doesn't like it.

So don't eat there, I bet they wont really care. Just as one poster stated he put a no gun, no money card in the check folder after he ate, boy I bet they cringed at that business card. Property rights are property rights if you dont want to eat there dont but please do not preach how many members on this forum or others will not avoid applebee's because they post a sign in Ohio.
    They may or may not care. If they are going to lose business, they should know why, otherwise the problem will never be corrected.

And don't bother with the "It's my private property argument" I don't buy it when it comes to open to the public business that is large enough to fall under normal public business regulations. If you want to claim private property and make up rules, then put a sign on the door that says "private club, members only" and then you can dictate that everyone must sit around in polka dotted underwear with a bucket on their head while singing zip pity-do-da if you want.

VIP Member
    Well whether you buy it or not private property owners can and will do just that. "No shoes, no shirt, no service" "Tie is required" "No sagging pants, no doo rags" and my favorite from a tattoo shop "If you are drunk, pregnant, high, smell bad or think you are a badask, please do not grace us with your presence" yes they can dictate what or who comes into their establishment and what they wear simple fact of life and this includes the wearing of firearms. *subject to your own state laws

Since I have not read the law that was passed but since this law is in effect and a business can trump that law by the simple posting of a sign it must not have been a well written law in the first place. I applaud the victory there glad to hear it but fight the battles you can win. If this business does not want you to carry either eat there unarmed or go somewhere else. In regards to 2A rights being won through effort yes they are they are also lost by misguided crusades, dont believe me ask the OC'ers of the State of California.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

I think Applebees should be liable for a lawsuit if they post and don't provide armed security for the parking lot and then something happens to a patron.
    It Is Easy To Be Brave From A Distance ~ Aesop

I think the best answer is to start campaigning for making those stupid signs not carry any legal weight. This would render the point moot.

As far as what a public business can and can not dictate, and who they can and can't discriminate against, well, there have been plenty of places to learn that lesson the hard way.

Distinguished Member Array shadowwalker's Avatar
    My motto is if I can't bring my gun I can't bring my money and thats why I changed banking and a favorite place to eat, oh and I DO NOT FLY unless its private plane. Some assignments allow carry anywhere you go thats the only ones I take

Got a reply from the restaurant in question:

Mr. XXXX:

AAG Ohio has always strived to maintain a family-friendly environment in the restaurant and has attempted to keep all weapons, including guns out of our employees workplace and away from customers dinning space.

We are in compliance with the new law by leaving our original notices posted. We have no issues with those who choose to get a concealed carry permit. We trust they have acted responsibly by going through the required legal process to obtain a permit.

While they may have a legal right to carry a concealed weapon, they don’t have a legal right to enter our restaurant.

Jerry Driscoll

I feel this needs a rebuttal. That last line just irks me. What do you all think?

I was thinking of replying with something like: "Since you think that your whims carry more legal weight than the 2nd Amendment of the Constitution, I will exercise my legal right to not patronize your business and will spend my money elsewhere."

If anyone else wants to reply to him, his email address is jdriscoll@appleamerican.com
    Last edited by Flasher; October 25th, 2011 at 04:36 PM. Reason: added email address
    "How much self-defense is too much?"

A prudent one foresees the evil and hides himself, but the simple pass on and are punished. - Proverbs 22:3

VIP Member
    Given that the 2A restricts government, not private enterprise, I would simply thank him for his frank response and let him know that I will not patronize his business. I would also let Corporate know that this applies to all Applebee's nationwide.
    Stubborn and jem102 like this.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

VIP Member
    Flasher either dont respond at all or a simple thank you for your response would be a lot better.
    MadMac and jem102 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    Flasher either dont respond at all or a simple thank you for your response would be a lot better.
    It is clear that they, as in the Apple American franchise, are not going to be convinced by reasoning on this issue. In this regards, I think tacman605 has it right, either no reply or a short thank you would be best. This leaves the choice of let it drop and have their warm fuzzy from signage rights or take it up with corporate who is the only entity that may have dictatorial power over them.

Applebees here, is NOT posted. Never have been, and ate their last night.... they still aren't.

So, dont' let them know ... OK. We want to keep it that way.

Uh, no one has ever been shot at one either.... funny, how that works.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

While I doubt it will do much good, I sent the following email a few minutes ago:

"Dear Sir,

It has recently been brought to my attention that even though Ohio law now allows legally licensed concealed handgun carriers to lawfully carry in establishments that serve alcohol as long as they are not drinking or under the influence of alcohol, you have chosen to post your restaurants and restrict their rights to do so.

I assume you are intelligent enough to realize that criminals, who are law breakers by definition, will ignore your signs if they choose to rob your restaurants and your patrons. Signs have never stopped a crook yet!

On the other hand, law abiding citizens will obey the signs. I, as a law abiding citizen who has passed a police background check, undergone the required training, received my license to carry a concealed handgun, and choose to do so for my own and my family's protection, will obey your signs and will no longer be spending any of my money in your establishments.

You have the legal right to post your restaurants. I, and thousands of other licensed handgun carriers have the legal right to spend our money at establishments that welcome us. Until such time as you change your policy and remove the prohibitive signs, my money will be spent elsewhere."

I expect the standard "canned" response. One letter will not change the company policy, but if he receive enough mail, emails, and phone calls, it might just get his attention.

It is just like the person who doesn't vote because they say, "My one vote doesn't really count." Yet if a thousand, 10 thousand, or 100 thousand people don't vote because "their one vote doesn't count", it really does make a difference!
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

I guess the no reply thing will have to do it. I'm not going to convince them. I was considering replying with something like JDE101's message and copying it to their corporate offices with the entire email chain. I did send the original to Applebee's corporate, and they just forwarded it to this Jerry Driscoll. That last line of his reply still irks me.
    "How much self-defense is too much?"

A prudent one foresees the evil and hides himself, but the simple pass on and are punished. - Proverbs 22:3

Honestly, not being able to go to an Applebees is no big loss to me. All of these chain places offer nothing but overpriced garbage. The places I frequent are local or regional places that don't bother with these silly signs.
    jem102 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by tubadude View Post
    Honestly, not being able to go to an Applebees is no big loss to me. All of these chain places offer nothing but overpriced garbage. The places I frequent are local or regional places that don't bother with these silly signs.
    You are lucky if you live in an area that has decent local restaurants that are worth eating in. Here in Ohio, in the area where I live, the only local places you could eat that did not serve alcohol were places frequented by the geriatric crowd with cafeteria/instution type overcooked food, fast food places, Bob Evans and Cracker Barrel!

Finally, for the past three weeks that the change to the concealed carry law has been in effect that allows Ohioans to go into restaurants that serve alcohol, we have more of a choice.

While Applebees may not have the best food in the state of Ohio, it beats the heck out of the "cafeteria" crap for something reasonably priced to eat. Their lunchtime all you can eat soup and salad is pretty good for those of us who cannot afford expensive gourmet restaurants. To me, it is at least worth the time to write a letter to try and get them to change their policy. And until such time as they do, I'll spend my money elsewhere as I stated in my letter to them.

At least Don Pablos hasn't put up any signs yet and I have been going there. And before anyone goes on a tirad about how Don Pablos is another chain with nothing but overpriced garbage, my Mexican-American sister-in-law from El Paso, TX was up for a visit a few years ago and she said their food was pretty good and very authentic! I guess I'll take her endorsement, as well as my own taste buds!
    noway2 likes this.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Links