GA GFL to AZ CCW Question

This is a discussion on GA GFL to AZ CCW Question within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey guys, I have a quick question about my concealed permit. I'm currently a Georgia resident, and I have a current GFL. I will be ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: GA GFL to AZ CCW Question

Hey guys,

I have a quick question about my concealed permit.

I'm currently a Georgia resident, and I have a current GFL. I will be moving to Arizona soon. Arizona does honor the Georgia permit for non-residents...My question is will I be able to use my Georgia permit until it expires (2 years from now) even after I transfer my drivers license and everything to Arizona? Or will my GA permit automatically become invalid?

I ask because I would rather avoid the expense of obtaining another permit until I absolutely have to.

As well, my GA permit is valid in every state I will be driving though except for NM. What advise can you give to me about when I travel to NM? My understanding is NM is an open carry state. Will I be able to open carry as a non-resident? Or should I unload and lock pistol / ammo seperate?

Thanks for any advise!
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Smith & Wesson M&P9c

VIP Member
    Arizona is a constitutional carry state. As long as your in state no permit is required.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Arizona is a constitutional carry state. As long as your in state no permit is required.
    Concealed or open carry doesn't require a permit?

Its been about 10 years since I've been there. Last time I was there it was open carry without CCW and concealed with CCW only.

Can you point me in the right direction as to where I can catch up on the current laws?

Thanks
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Smith & Wesson M&P9c

VIP Member
    Correct.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/arizona.pdf

Arizona has passed “Constitutional Carry.” That means anyone who can legally own a firearm and is 21 or older can carry it concealed without any type of permit/license. This new law becomes effective July 29, 2010. Those who wish to carry in Arizona without a permit/license from AZ or any other state can not carry in the places listed in the “Places Off Limits Even With a Permit’ section below. Arizona did not remove other restrictions in their law when they passed Constitutional Carry. If you choose to carry without a permit from Arizona or any other state you must also abide by the following restriction.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Thank you for the info!

I see that AZ still offers the CCW. What is the point of getting it if you don't need it to carry?

Smith & Wesson M&P9c

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by broknindarkagain View Post
    Thank you for the info!

I see that AZ still offers the CCW. What is the point of getting it if you don't need it to carry?
    The only point I see to it is reciprocity with other states. Without it, or another permit you would not be able to carry outside of AZ.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Makes sense.

So will I be able to hold onto my Georgia permit in order to still be able to carry in other states (that honor GA permit of course)

Smith & Wesson M&P9c

VIP Member
    That will depend on if GA will still recognize your permit as valid once you are no longer a resident. You'd need to check with the issuing authority there to find out.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

K I will do that. Thanks again for the info

Smith & Wesson M&P9c

VIP Member
    Glad to help.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

AZ still issues a permit for reciprocity reasons. Your GA permit is not needed in AZ as it was pointed out earlier, AZ is Constitutional Carry either OC or CC.

Now you WILL need your GA permit if you want to carry in an establishment that serves alcohol and you MUST CC in that establishment in AZ.

A good resource for state laws is:

Handgunlaw.us

Lastly, signage or posted establishments. The signage carries the weight of the law. The way the law reads, you ARE GUILTY of trespass. The don't have to ask you to leave. You can be cited on the spot. Granted, I've never heard of that being done, but it certainly could be.

Chris

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    Okay let me clarify. (authorized to teach AZ CCW and armed guard classes...)

First, once you're an AZ resident then no other state's permit is valid. AZ honors other state's permits for those who live in other states.

Constitutional carry is the law of the land, EXCEPT establishments that serve alcohol for consumption on the premises. That means any restaurant that serves beer or wine is completely off limits, unless you have a CCW. If you have a CCW you can carry there, as long as they do not have a conspicuous sign posted next to their liquor license (not on the door). Technically the signage in AZ does not have force of law because they have to prove you received notice of the trespass. (Google ARS 13-3102 for the statutes) So if they see you carrying, they can inform you of their policy and if you don't leave, THEN you're trespassing and can have the police called on you.

The only exception is the establishment that serves alcohol and has the sign posted appropriately. That one has force of law. (ARS 4-229 on that one)

So the AZ CCW is really helpful still, as it grants 38 states worth of reciprocity (including NV as of 7/1...every state bordering ours but California), carry in establishments that serve alcohol for consumption, automatic NICS checks for firearms purchases, and for some police departments in the state the CCW is visible when they look up your car registration in a traffic stop. That's a good thing because they assume everyone is armed and if you're CCW they at least know you're not a felon and trained.
    gatech33 likes this.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Quote Originally Posted by broknindarkagain View Post
    Thank you for the info!

Reciprocity.

The ability to legally carry in a restaurant (that serves alcohol) or bar.

No waiting for an instant check when purchasing a firearm. Show your permit, fill out the form, pay, leave.

MinistrMalic,

I beg to differ. AZ signage DOES carry the weight of law. We are not talking about misconduct with a firearm which is the ARS you quoted. What gives the signage the weight in law is: 13-1502.

13-1502. Criminal trespass in the third degree; classification

A. A person commits criminal trespass in the third degree by:

1. Knowingly entering or remaining unlawfully on any real property after a reasonable request to leave by the owner or any other person having lawful control over such property, or reasonable notice prohibiting entry.

2. Knowingly entering or remaining unlawfully on the right-of-way for tracks, or the storage or switching yards or rolling stock of a railroad company.

B. Criminal trespass in the third degree is a class 3 misdemeanor.

Also, an establishment that serves alcohol does NOT need to comply with 4-229. Simple signage at the entrance(s) accomplishes the same and carries the same weight in law via 13-1502.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by MinistrMalic View Post
    Technically the signage in AZ does not have force of law because they have to prove you received notice of the trespass.
    and for some police departments in the state the CCW is visible when they look up your car registration in a traffic stop.
    Minister, I question the validity of both of those statements. Although I can't quote case law, ARS 13-3102 has been enforced to the effect that "a reasonable request by the operator of the establishment" to prohibit the carrying of weapons includes signage or spoken prohibition. Also, my contacts in Pinal and Maricopa county Sheriffs' depts say that CCWs are NOT tied in any way to vehicle registrations or drivers' licenses.

If you have information to the contrary, please share!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links