Holy cow another traffic stop story! - Page 2

Holy cow another traffic stop story!

This is a discussion on Holy cow another traffic stop story! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Hiram25 That's for sure, but they don't get the press! They should and we should make the effort to report them to ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Holy cow another traffic stop story!

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    That's for sure, but they don't get the press!
    They should and we should make the effort to report them to their superiors. If we only complain about the bad eggs, the good ones don't get noticed and need to know we appreciate them.
    GCO Member
    NRA Member
    NRA RSO & Certified Basic Pistol Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    If you caught the troopers name, give his post a call and tell his superior about the fine officer he has. Better yet, send a letter. Phone calls get forgotten, letters go into his file.
    I would definitely do that but I can't remember his name.
    Operation Enduring Freedom Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    mlr1m. The good ones may not be a danger to you or others but it is only fair to mention the good ones along with the bad. Unless of course you are wanting the negative responses to take precedent over the good ones in order to educate LE and the public of how the big bad policeman harass the kind, humble, non threatening, everyday CC'er.

Just an opinion
    I understand where you are coming from and tend to agree that feel good stories are nice to hear about. They can be very uplifting. To me though, that is secondary to what the true duty of the press is. To me the press has a duty to be a watchdog against government abuse. To warn the citizenry of wrong doing and other dangers they may face.

As a citizen it is nice to know about the public officials who are good people. If I do not know about them no harm will come of it. I am not placed in any danger if I come in contact with them.
    However, if I do not know of corruption or other injustices I am placed in danger by that lack of knowledge. Great harm could happen to me if I am not prepared.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by SpencerB View Post
    I would definitely do that but I can't remember his name.
    That's OK; give the the date, time and location of the stop and they can cross check the dispatch logs, in most departments.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    There is no real need to warn the public about the good ones. They are not a danger to me. Would be like the weather man spending his time telling us where the good weather will be. Not mentioning where the severe weather is going to happen.
    Michael
    Sort of reminds me when I used to work the tech support line for a computer company. About once a week somebody would ask a question like "Do you get a lot of people calling you with problems on these computers?" I'd usually reply, "Well let me think. Nobody ever takes the time to call in and wait on hold just to tell us how great their computer is working. So yes, pretty much 100% of my calls are people having problems."
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    That's OK; give the the date, time and location of the stop and they can cross check the dispatch logs, in most departments.
    I will thanks!
    Operation Enduring Freedom Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    I understand where you are coming from and tend to agree that feel good stories are nice to hear about. They can be very uplifting. To me though, that is secondary to what the true duty of the press is. To me the press has a duty to be a watchdog against government abuse. To warn the citizenry of wrong doing and other dangers they may face.

As a citizen it is nice to know about the public officials who are good people. If I do not know about them no harm will come of it. I am not placed in any danger if I come in contact with them.
    However, if I do not know of corruption or other injustices I am placed in danger by that lack of knowledge. Great harm could happen to me if I am not prepared.

Michael
    So you prefer to hear only negative news? You prefer to hear about the robbery and killing at the local stop and rob, over the story of the doctor who found a new breakthrough in alzheimers treatment. You would prefer to hear about a police officer who was caught fishing on a day he called in sick over a story about the US attorney handing down 75 indictments on drug trafficing and making a roundup of 60+ people in a single morning.

News: by its definition is reporting something that was unknown. There is nothing in there about any duty to root out corruption or anything else. Investigative journalist focus on those types of stories, and are one segment of the press.

You say that if corruption is not reported you could be harmed because you could come in contact with those people. By the same token, if the honest people are reported about, then you know exactly where you need to head so you won't be harmed. It goes both ways. However if people constantly focus on the negative, it tends to promote more negativity. People start to think, well if they can do it then why can't I. That stop sign becomes a yield sign, the personal usage of company stuff during break time becomes goofing off on personal stuff all day at work, or office supplies go home and become kids school supplies, because hey, everyone else is doing it and getting away with it.

I would much rather hear about the good stuff folks are doing than the bad stuff folks are doing. Do you need to be aware of the bad stuff, certainly, but focusing on it only promotes more bad stuff in my view. To each their own I guess.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links