Pro-carry, anti-carry question..

This is a discussion on Pro-carry, anti-carry question.. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey everyone, I am obviously pro-carry and I am trying to figure out what the anti-carriers reasons are. I understand our side of the arguement ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Pro-carry, anti-carry question..

Hey everyone,
    I am obviously pro-carry and I am trying to figure out what the anti-carriers reasons are. I understand our side of the arguement of why carrying is a good thing... but what about the other side. You know.. the sheeple? What is their arguement to why it is a bad thing? Why do stores feel like they have to block us out because we carry?

I haven't seen too many crimes committed by law-abiding responsible CCW holders...

I am just trying to understand both sides of the spectrum a little bit better. Thanks all!
    -Nick.

VIP Member
    There is no understanding of the anti’s arguments as they are based on “feelings”; they feel unsafe around guns or gun owners. When you ask them why guns or gun owners make them feel threatened you will get the pat answer “guns are dangerous” but they cannot say why they are dangerous.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

There are much better things to spend your time doing. Like going to the range, cleaning your guns, that stuff. The best you can do is know your side and be able to present it. Trying to figure them out will just result in frustration, hair pulling, and mumbling to yourself incoherently.
    Knute, Magnum and jem102 like this.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

It really is simple. When guns and their use are in the news is it usually a good news story or a bad news story?

Speaking of the MAJORITY of the time.

VIP Member
    The US as a whole is no longer a gun culture, generally speaking, as it was years ago. School shootings, sniper attacks, mass murders are all front page news.

Your right people legally carrying firearms don't commit a lot of crimes but that in itself is not exciting, newsworthy or important anymore. You will find a lot of the "Sheeple" as you call them don't really care one way or the other but when they are exposed to the bad things that happen with firearms or to some jerk with a video cam proclaiming his harrassment sometimes that is all it takes to push them to a negative attitude.

The proclamation of "The police cannot always protect you" is fine for those of us that carry and makes perfect sense to us but the quicker everyone realizes that you cannot force your protection or sense of well being on someone else the better off we will all be. The simple fact is the "Sheeple" have every right to be "Sheeple" plain and simple, you have the right to enjoy and carry firearms and they have the right not to, the problem is we are outnumbered and they will be the ones to swing the vote.

Chiefjason is right though you can spend the rest of your life trying to answer this question and all you will end up with is more questions.
    MotorCityGun likes this.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

My Sons Wife, they live in Sacramento, hates? and is terrified of guns! I can not understand her, her whole Family is very educated, degrees up the yin yang, Mum and all.

Would I try to change her mind? No.

I can not imagine living in California, love Florida. My Glock 19 sits on the night stand right now.

Be happy, as the song goes, I am!

With all the crap that the schools have been pumping into our kids heads they don't believe in a lot of basics that we were used to, they are now adults with their own children being fed the same crap. Their numbers are growing.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    I think msgt/ret pretty well hit it, that they are 'feeling' on the issue and not thinking. I think the feelings, coupled with irrational beliefs that you are more likely to be injured with your own weapon than you are to ever need to use it in self defense. To them, the idea, or belief, that something bad will happen is so remote that the idea you need to be responsible and prepared for your own protection is insane. I think many of them also fear and believe that a person who carries is just a few steps away from becoming one of these mass gunmen and that if we were only prohibited from having said tool, that they can be safer because we won't turn and use it on them. I am certain that the idea that you would carry with you always, e.g. around the house or at the dinner table, is so utterly foreign to them that it would only trigger a really negative reaction. In many cases, if you get them to THINK about it, they may agree that these feelings are irrational and that there is wisdom to your position, but doing so will only create cognitive dissonance because it goes against how they feel, causing them to reject the thoughts.

Remember, the emotion centers of our brains developed are left over from prehistoric times and developed long before the thinking portion. These centers react very fast, tend to trigger intense reactions, and can bypass all thinking process. We often talk about this in a SHTF scenario, but the same thing happens, just at a lower intensity to an anti when confronted with the thought of guns.

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    There is no understanding of the anti’s arguments as they are based on “feelings”; they feel unsafe around guns or gun owners. When you ask them why guns or gun owners make them feel threatened you will get the pat answer “guns are dangerous” but they cannot say why they are dangerous.
    Great answer. The anti side doesn't stand on fact or reason, it's an argument based on fear and misunderstanding. Know your side and if you feel the need educate the people who can think for themselves and those who may be ignorant because they haven't been exposed. The sheep, just let them find bliss in their ignorance, nothing you say will make a difference and it's futile to debate with imbeciles.

VIP Member
    There really is no understanding the anti point of view. Their answer is always the same. "Guns are bad" or "Guns are only made to kill people". Logic doesn't fit into the equation. They have also bought into the "Big Brother knows what's best for you and will take care of you". Once someone opens their mouth ans starts spouting the anti crap, I tune them out and go about my business.
    TN_Mike likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

It's like teaching a pig to sing:

It just frustrates you and annoys the pig.
    babarock, macg19 and TN_Mike like this.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

I finally have an understanding regarding anti gun people. While all that has been already said is true, it boils down to this. To a sheep, a sheep dog looks like a wolf. Guns are bad, you have one and that makes you bad. Logic is second to fear.
    TN_Mike likes this.
    In a gun fight, you can not miss fast enough, to catch up.

VIP Member
    I had a week long argument/discussion with a very anti gun coworker. We worked together frequently so we had a bunch of time to really hash out the details of our arguments. In the end he agreed that I was right and that there really was no reason to fear guns BUT he still hated them anyway.

The point of this story is that THERE IS NO REASON BEHIND THE ANTI CARRY MINDSET. These people (hard core antis) have formed an opinion based on emotion and they cannot be swayed unless they become the victim of a violent crime. Once confronted by actual evil they usually change their tune and come over to our side of the issue.
    OD*, QKShooter and TN_Mike like this.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

I've spent a lot of time wondering about this too. Here's the conclusion I've come up with. Your typical anti does not like guns personally and does not want to own one. They do not understand how guns work, they do not understand gun laws, they do not understand much of anything related to gun crime or self defense. So for them, they see guns as something used by criminals and since they don't personally care to own one they see no reason why anyone else should own one. And since they are so ignorant of the entire scheme of things, in their mind it seems perfectly reasonable that by denying everyone access to a gun that the criminals won't be able to get one either.

I'll try for an analogy. Since I'm in the computer business, I deal with a lot of parents who are wanting to get a computer for their child. I've had parents who didn't want their child to have a laptop with a built-in webcam for fear that the child might post nude pictures, or that some hacker might get access to the camera and stalk them. I've had parents tell me their teen children were not allowed on myspace or facebook because they didn't want them being stalked by predators, after all those are the only people who get on those websites, right? So what is boils down to is ignorance. The parents don't know about internet safety so they can't teach their kids. And so rather than take the time to learn about it, and make sure their kids understand it too, they just forbid it completely.
    Bark'n likes this.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    To enhance self-defense with a weapon is rational. Contrary arguments are irrational by definition.
    TN_Mike likes this.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links