Special Passenger!

This is a discussion on Special Passenger! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by tacman605 There is a class that LE has to take to cover Flying while armed. Nothing major that I know of rules, ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Special Passenger!

Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    There is a class that LE has to take to cover Flying while armed. Nothing major that I know of rules, regulations, no alcohol and so on. I honestly dont remember if it pertained to off duty LEO or on duty/on business type thing.
    "Good afternoon ladies and gentlemen, I am your class instructor for today, covering carrying a firearm in an airplane. Please don't shoot terrifying holes in the aircraft. Any questions? Good, you all passed the class."
    smolck likes this.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

2. Remove Ads

Should have asked her if she wanted some "shooting lessons" after they landed.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

tacman65,

I remember a tale shortly after 9-11

A National Guard soldier was coming on duty for airport security and passing the checkpoint. The agent (not sure if it was TSA yet) took the soldier's M-16 and had him walk through the metal detector. He asked why he had to do that and was told "We want to make sure you do not have anything dangerous that could get onto a plane." And handed him back his M-16.
    Secret Spuk and jem102 like this.
    Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor liberty to purchase power.
    -Ben Franklin

I've flown armed several times. As someone mentioned it would always be with the permission of the captain. Funny thing after being retired several years I was flying from Florida to North Carolina, and used my HR218 card to check in my handgun. The airline desk supervisor offered to allow me to fly armed. Said she was sure the captain wouldnt mind. I reminded her that I was now retired... she said that it didnt matter with my ID. This was after 9/11. I still checked the gun, as she may have been mistaken. Go figure...

As has been mentioned above, non-federal LEOs must be on duty, have taken the flying while armed course, and have a specific, narrowly defined reason sent by their agency (such as transporting a prisoner or having to be on duty upon landing). Off duty, LEOs carrying under LEOSA (HR 218) are treated just like a concealed carry permit holder: the firearm must be checked in accordance with TSA and airline regs. LEOSA specifically does not override other federal laws, such as the prohibition on airline carry or the Federal Gun Free School Zone Act (when in a state other than that of the officer's jurisdiction), to mention just two.

I think we should be allowed to carry on an aircraft. Make it hard to do, make it a hassle, I'm fine with that. But make it legal. 9/11 would have been a lot different with armed people on those planes.

Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    I think we should be allowed to carry on an aircraft. Make it hard to do, make it a hassle, I'm fine with that. But make it legal. 9/11 would have been a lot different with armed people on those planes.
    357and40, oakchas, TVille and 2 others like this.

I think there should be a barrel or box full of .38 revolvers at every gate, and no-one can board without taking a gun.
    No one would ever hijack an airplane, or even consider it.

Some idiot stands up and says : "People, I have a bomb "...

boom, boom, boom, boom, boom, boom, boom, boom, boom, boom, boom, boom, boom, boom, boom, boom, boom, boom, boom, boom, boom, boom, boom, boom, boom, boom, boom, boom, boom, boom, boom, boom, boom, boom, boom, boom,
    BkCo1 likes this.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

PLEASE, if your department allows, bring it onboard. I love legal "good guy" guns on both sides of the cockpit door.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    I think there should be a barrel or box full of .38 revolvers at every gate, and no-one can board without taking a gun.

boom, boom, boom, boom, boom, boom, boom, boom, boom, boom, boom, boom, boom, boom, boom, boom, boom, boom, boom, boom, boom, boom, boom, boom, boom, boom, boom, boom, boom, boom, boom, boom, boom, boom, boom, boom,
    You're a follower of the Archie Bunker school of gun control, aren't you? See this video at about the 1:00 point.
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post

36 holes in the plane, good grief, my ears are ringing.

On my last flight I had checked firearms. On boarding I was asked to take back my ticket and hand it to the flight attendant on board. This happened in August of this year. On the return flight this was not the case. This was new to me.

Quote Originally Posted by gmark340 View Post
    As has been mentioned above, non-federal LEOs must be on duty, have taken the flying while armed course, and have a specific, narrowly defined reason sent by their agency (such as transporting a prisoner or having to be on duty upon landing). Off duty, LEOs carrying under LEOSA (HR 218) are treated just like a concealed carry permit holder: the firearm must be checked in accordance with TSA and airline regs. LEOSA specifically does not override other federal laws, such as the prohibition on airline carry or the Federal Gun Free School Zone Act (when in a state other than that of the officer's jurisdiction), to mention just two.
    What Federal law excludes police officers from flying armed? Or is it airline policy?.. Isnt it ultimately up to the captain? Just curious.

Just where does one take a flying while armed course?

"I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links