Paranoid or Cautious?

This is a discussion on Paranoid or Cautious? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; There are no gaurantees in life, safety being one of them. In a city like Dallas, I would rely on no one but myself to ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Paranoid or Cautious?

Senior Member Array hsuCowboy98's Avatar
    There are no gaurantees in life, safety being one of them. In a city like Dallas, I would rely on no one but myself to protect myself and my family. The odds may be that you will never need it at any of these locations, then again, it is the things that run counter to the statistics that get the most people killed.

I elect to make my safety and my life, my responsibility, wherever I go.
    Fear No Evil.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    I try to carry everytime Im outside the house and I try to stay as close to one when inside...
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

I have begun to think what was taken for paranoia, is in the twenty-first Century merely ordinary caution.

I never used to carry in by back yard until some drive by shooter on the run from the police ran up my drive way and through my neighbors back yard. I am pretty sure that if I would have yelled out at him he may have turned and popped a cap at me, standing stupid and unarmed with my big mouth open.

I flagged down a cop and put them on the right trail. They found his cheap little Jennings .22 a yard away from mine on the down stream side. He was armed when he ran past me trying to tug up his gangbangger pants from around his knees. The police caught up to him in a bar two blocks from my house and tagged him because of the pale blue boxer shorts that I had described.

I was called into court three times before the case was dismissed because the guy who was the intended target refused to testify.

I now carry in my back yard, in my nice neighborhood, and still do not expect to get into a gun fight. If I thought there was the remotest possibility of getting into a gun fight I would carry a rifle and invite all of my friends with rifles, and try hard to get a Brigade of the 101ST to cover my flanks.

I do not think that you are a fool because you do not carry 100% of the time. It's your choice.

I choose to be armed.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    well put black imho ... its about choice ... You choose not to ok , I for one wont lablel you a fool , have the same respect for my choice lol .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

I'm not religeous about carrying, but I do carry most of the time when I'm fully dressed and not going back and forth to work. I don't carry when I'm in my robe and slippers, don't hurry to get dressed, but I don't put the gun away until I get undressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs
    for the record also i took AceRider's post as an actual attempt to understand , not a flame in any way...

You are correct, no flame or insinuations at all based on anyone's actions/beliefs.

It's just I've never carried any weapon in my life except for mace when I took a 40 day motorcycle trip to Alaska. I've only been afraid of animals (true animals, not people). I'm cautious and sensible about where I go and aware of what's happening around me. Probably too trusting, though, and expect better in people than I do the worst.

I now bought this pistol (my first) and am considering CHL, mostly for motorcycle trips and camping. But now that I have it, I want to carry it sometimes, mostly I've envisioned on the 11 - 2 AM restaurant trips that my GF and I make since she works in a restaurant and is off late on Fri/Sat. Three of our favorites are hole-in-the-wall ethnic places in areas that, while not dangerous, always make me look around when we arrive and leave. Dark, very uncrowded, off the beaten path places.

I agree that trouble can find you anywhere, but I also realize that it is more apt to find you in certain places. I don't want to feel that I can't go out in my garage for a smoke at 3 AM unarmed, or exercise on the paths in my neighborhood unarmed, or not be able to go anywhere if I'm not armed. That thought makes me mad, particularly after 34 years of never even considering carrying a gun around.

I don't want to be a slave to carrying a gun.
    Last edited by AceRider; August 11th, 2006 at 05:44 PM.

I don't remember where I heard this, but it makes sense and kinda stuck with me through the years.....

"There is very little likelyhood that you would ever need a handgun .... but if you do need it, you're going to need it in a big way."

Good luck.
    Sarhog
    NRA Life Member
    Northwest Florida Defensive Pistol Shooters Member
    Sarhog's gallery

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Somewhat well thought out ace .. and allow me to be the first to welcome you to the " ranks " so to speak . What i do will not fit your lifestyle , nor can we choose for one another . My advise is go ahead and get the ccw ( hell it will be a fun learning process if nothing else ) then only carry what fits you and your needs .. there is not a person on this board that can tell you what is best , you need to look at your life , and its risks , and decide if you want to go to eiter extreem , 24x7 carry , or only on trips , or somewhere in between . I was cited by your post , so you got a bit of bacground for my post .. in any event be well and be safe

Bob .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Senior Member Array hsuCowboy98's Avatar
    I don't want to be a slave to carrying a gun.

Slaves are made through fear. For alot of people, a concealed weapon gives them the freedom to go where they want when they want, without relying on someone else to ensure their safety. It is a small burden to exchange for a substantial safegaurd.
    Fear No Evil.

Quote Originally Posted by sabalo
    If you only carry in places that you think you might need a gun you might be better off just deciding not to go to those places.
    In general, that's good advice, if you think you may NEED a gun to insure your safety, it's probably best to do something else.

I live in a nice neighborhood, one would never think anything was happening. Not too long ago, spoke with a couple of neighbors who said that someone was going into open garages and if the cars were opened, taking whatever they could grab. Well, the garage is one door knob from the inside of my house. My first thought was .. "what if I walked out to my garage to "insert anything here" and came face to face with that person."

No time to get to my gun that sits by my chair, over the cabinet, by the bed, etc........

Really made me think .. maybe I'm not paranoid enough???

I don't carry ALL the time, but most of the time if I'm away from my house. I can carry at work so that make it easier for me. Some time on the week end I may run an errand, lowes, home depot etc, and do not grab my weapon before heading out the door. I do try to be careful about where I go without my weapon, but I usually don't feel threatened on a sat. afternoon. I know and agree with everyone about the fact that we never know where the goblin will appear, but at times I just dont feel like redressing, and I have no pocket gun.
    A gun is a useful tool for making holes at a distance

"People cannot be effectually oppressed and enslaved, who are not FIRST DISARMED" Texas Supreme Court 1859 (Cockrum vs State)

The "P" Principal
    Proper Preparation Prevents Poor Performance

VIP Member

Just a little bit off topic...

Once you or anyone decides that their going to carry a weapon, then the mental training begins.

There's a tremendous responsibility in carrying deadly force, a good balanced attitude is certainly the first step. You'll notice there's a lot of scenario talk here too. It's good to have a plan because if you don't you won't! It's just that simple. What you practice is what youíll do!

Iíve been in a few situations with my weapon drawn on someone. I can tell you it was my training and practice that told me what to do. (LEO for 5 years)

But thereís a wealth of information here and a lot of great people who will be more than happy to help you and to be helped by you. I learn something new almost every time I visit this site!

Some of us olí farts can be a little moody though, just tell us to go take our medication!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

South of Ol' Tascosa, two miles from water, twenty miles from Hell
    I live in the country, outside of the city limits.
    The problem I have is I spent 33 years in LE and I've seen and worked terrible murders, robberies and rapes in "nice neighborhoods", so I trust folks to be like they normally are. I carry a pistol any time I leave my house and I have a shotgun in my truck.

Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean there are not folks out there who will hurt me or mine, given the chance.

But I live by the theory of "What ever make you feel comfortable".
    I have friends who live in Plano and I know several officers who live there. I would not travel around in Plano with out a piece.

I was the one who confronted two Boogers parked across the road from my home, a couple of days before they killed two unarmed men just down the road from me. But then again, I'm so trusting folks to be just .....folks.

Jungle Work

VIP Member
    I am one of those people who carries if he is awake. The only exception is in the shower. I suppose that swimming and such would not allow me to carry. Since I very seldom go swimming - it's been years and don't care for the beach it's not a problem.

I have been carrying for less than a year. I have made no changes in where I go. I still consider most of the places I go safe, but because of my increased awareness I see things that I did not see before. I also know that there are more incidents of home invasion and assault in the town I live in than there were 3 or 4 years ago.

I'm surprised that no one has used the spare tire analogy in this thread. Do you leave your spare tire home because you don't think you'll need it. I don't. I also have a flashlight in the glove box of both vehicles and change the batteries frequently. Why, because when I need a flashlight I usually won't be in the position to buy one nor to buy replacement batteries.

I also remember that if the odds of needing my pistol are 1 in 10,000 what happens if this is the 1. We read in the paper and hear on the radio and TV about people being attacked, about homes being invaded, about robberies. Sometimes I know the neighborhoods in the story. As often as not the neighborhoods are considered good. Criminals may not be the smartest people in the world, but neither are they the dumbest. If you were going to rob a house where would you go? To a poor neighborhood or to one that is better off. BGs are just as smart as you are they also pick better off. If they pick better off and that's where I live, I have a better chance of being robbed than someone living in a poorer neighborhood.

I have been on my own for over 35 years and I have never had a break-in or robbery. My father ran a store in the country for 28 years without an armed robbery attempt. In 1974 in his 29 year the store was robbed. He was not in and the robbers slapped my mother around. In 1975 almost one year to the day there was a second robbery attempt. After the first one my father prepared. For everyday from the first robbery until he sold the business to my cousin in 1979 he carried a concealed weapon and had others at various locations in the store. On that July day in 1975 the second attempt was made. Two people came in, only one went out and he was wounded. The other was dead. He fired two rounds at my father even though he was doing what he was told. (To be perfectly honest he was also drawing a concealed weapon) My father left the one who shot lying in a pool of his own blood. The wounded man got away, but was later arrested and died in the county jail refusing medical treatment.

My cousin has run the business now for over 27 years there have been no more armed robbery attempts. Does my cousin carry a concealed weapon - you bet your life he does. He also has other weapons in strategic places. He knows that just because no one has been stupid enough to try again for 27 years that could change today. Statistics are useful in some areas, but with your life is not one of them. Again using the odds of 1 in 10,000 as an example (it maybe more or less than that). If the chances of being a victim of armed assault are 1 in 10,000 today, somebody is going to be that 1 and if I am that 1 I fully intend to be as prepared as possible for the situation.

If someone wants to call that paranoid, so be it. I would rather be a live paranoid than a dead body.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

AceRider, in some ways I used to be alot like you but maybe with a more cynical edge. Then I went sailing for 10 years and came back to a very changed country. On top of that my wife developed a disabling disorder and I suddenly discovered that many of the criminal mindset consider a handicapped person a prime target. I went and turned a lifelong shooting hobby into a means to protect my wife and further, myself. Growing older I was much less interested in having to defend myself and my wife with my bare hands or a blade which I had always trusted in my youth.

My changing mindset and awareness levels have also revealed alot more of what is going on around me. I pay more attention to what kind of crimes are being committed and where. Many areas I would of thought of as obviously safe are far from it. Carrying a weapon is more than just jumping through some hoops and getting a little card. It is (or should be) an on going process about awareness, training, learning and responsability. People find that taking the protection of themselves and their families seriously is an eye opening and often life changing experience. You start to discover how many people are ignorant of the potential dangers they place themselves in every day. Then they are oh, so shocked when something happens to them! And some of those people are folks that I know!!!

So out of all of this I do not feel enslaved by my decision to carry everywhere but actually feel the better for it. My wife, who at first was a bit unsure of this, finds the changes in me comforting and compliments me on it. We were at a couples get together the other night and they pulled one of the dreaded "Ice Breaker" routines that I so hate. We had to name something to the crowd that we loved the most about our spouse. My wife chimed in with "He takes my care and protection more seriously than any other persons husband I know." THAT is not slavery but freedom!
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links