Paranoid or Cautious?

This is a discussion on Paranoid or Cautious? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; +1 dr_cmg!...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Paranoid or Cautious?

VIP Member

Very well put!

+1 dr_cmg!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    For me it's absolutely force of habit I think rather than paranoia.
    I live in a really safe area but, worked in near 'bout the worst two ammonia holes in PGH for quite some time.
    That coupled w/ my other more dangerous job made it necessary for me to have a firearm with me all the time.
    I pretty much feel naked without mine.

Where I live now it's like Mayberry so if I (whoops!) forgot to pocket a firearm...I would not run back to get it in a panic.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by AceRider
    ...Do you ever leave your houses unarmed?
    Sure. There are times I have to leave my house unarmed. I prefer not to, though, and choose to be armed and able to defend myself whenever possible.
    ...Is everyone who CCs this diligent about never being unarmed? Is this cautious behaviour or paranoia?
    No. Not everyone who carries is diligent about never being unarmed. Reasons for carrying vary, and are not for me to judge.
    ...I'm aware that things can happen anywhere, anytime, but do you ever relax a little? What if you go to the beach or a pool? Skiing/ski slopes? Boating?
    Depends on what you mean by "relax". I have fun with my friends, but I generally have my tools for daily life at hand: keys, wallet, cards, cash, knife and gun. Occasionally, I do something where being armed isn't appropriate or safe. I realize that I am placing myself at a higher risk during those times, and accept that risk.
    ...Do some of you on this board consider that some others take this caution too far or is everyone here of uniform opinion?
    Everyone, here, is definitely not of uniform opinion. I think some are more cautious than I am and some others less so, but I'm not in their shoes.
    ...I don't know how to phrase this properly, but does anyone go by risk assessment/probability?
    I don't carry because I predict something will happen. I carry as much as possible because I can't predict when or if something will happen. I assess my risk all the time, but I try not to gamble with my life.
    ...Do you think I'm a fool? If there is the barest minimum chance of something happening, do you think I'm a fool to not carry? Do you assess and manage risk or is it all risk, all the time?
    I do not know if you are a fool, or not. If there is a chance you might need to defend yourself, and you choose not to carry the most effective tool for the situation, then you are taking a calculated risk. I assess and manage risk, but I do not leave my tools at home. I am not a slave to my weapon anymore than I am a slave to my keys, wallet, cards or cash.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

Assistant Administrator
    I'm surprised that no one has used the spare tire analogy in this thread
    George - shame on you - I mentioned that in post #14
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    George - shame on you - I mentioned that in post #14
    No excuse, sir. Senior moment perhaps. I was specifically referring to you when I said I was surprised. I just checked and it is there. I also checked to see if the post had been edited this evening - not.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Assistant Administrator
    I also checked to see if the post had been edited this evening - not
    Haha - now would I!

For you George - forgiveness and absolution is total
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

It's a combination of things for me. I do live in an area that is becoming increasingly violence prone, and my vocation lends itself to having some violent enemies. However, I find that nothing good is done without unwavering habitual doing. If I am never without my firearm, then I always have it. Also, I consider my side to be the safest place my my pistol can be. Nothing can occur with it that I am not aware of.

I'm not going to judge for not carrying all the time because I don't either. Partly because people look at you funny when you jump out of an ambulance with a gun on your hip, look at them, and say, "I'm here to help." The usual reply would be AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!! (That might not be a bad idea. )

Seriously though, I carry about 90% of the time when I leave my house. I do bring it with me when I go to work, but it's locked in the truck. I have been trying to make a conscious effort to bring it with me all the time.

When I am at home, my gun and my wife's are both in our bedroom. I don't carry at home because of my dog. I have a 1/2 lab, 1/2 Rotweiler 105 lbs and very PROTECTIVE.
    Had to call the PD to my house a while ago, called home, phone rang once and went dead. Called the wife on her cell, (she was at the store) told her not to go home. All said and done, she went home with the PD there. They told her that they would check the house, but she had to do something with the dog. One of the officers told her to check Jack for human ramains in case he ate some one.
    Between him and our female I truly don't believe that anyone could get into the house without us knowing.

That's my opinion.

Jeff

There's an old saying (I just made up)"20-20 hindsight doesn't make up for being dead". I know I will never need to use my weapon, but I will always have it - if I'm wrong, I don't get a second chance.

VIP Member
    Jeff, I have a similar situation with three dogs. Our dogs however are all inside/outside dogs. Our back yard where they stay when out is 80'X100' and is about 50' from our back door. Because we have other dogs in the neighborhood, people walking by on the sidewalk and other things going on we sometimes don't hear them if they go off.

For this reason I carry always at home when awake. My job has me away from home 3 night a week and when I am not here the dogs are usually in the house, but because this is not always true my wife carries when I am not at home. I would like for her to carry even when I am, but she hasn't made that step yet. We have no children at home and have firearms strategically located around the house so one is always close.

The dogs each have their self assigned spots in the house where they sleep. One in our bedroom, one by the back door and one near the front and side door. Like you I don't believe anyone can come in our house while we are asleep without us and probably the whole neighborhood knowing it.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

When it's so easy to at the very least clip on my keltec, there's really no reason not to carry all the time. It's really no inconvenience, so why not?

It is simple, really...

For me it is simple...

I carry all of the time simply because i am no good at guessing and i am not a fan of playing odds... Kind of the same reasons I carry insurance policies...

I find it impossible to guess correctly as to when i will need it and when I wont need it...

I do not like the odds of Needing and Not having it with me.

IMO, anything less than a full-time habit puts me and mine at risk.

Better to Have it and not need it than to Need it and not have it...
    Semper Fi ~

Eagle Scout 1975
    U.S.M.C. 1978-84
    Commercial Pilot
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Certified Flight Instructor
    NRA Certified Instructor
    NRA Life Member
    TSRA Member

www.TexasArmament.com

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    1. Nope (Some do, not me)
    2. Nope
    3. Nope
    4. Cautious (I'd feel stupid leaving it behind the one time I needed it)
    5. Nope (I consider myself MORE relaxed when I carry. I get uptight without my gun.)

I prefer the CPR analogy. I'll probably never do CPR on someone, but I'm trained and get re-certed every so often. I also carry a firextinguisher and trama kit in my truck, and know how to use both.

Quote Originally Posted by AceRider

1. Do some of you live in terribly dangerous neighborhoods?
    2. Do you ever leave your houses unarmed?
    3. Is everyone who CCs this diligent about never being unarmed?
    4. Is this cautious behaviour or paranoia?
    5. I'm aware that things can happen anywhere, anytime, but do you ever relax a little?
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Oh yeah that reminds me- we should all live in condition yellow, which means "relaxed alert"
    You can be armed and relaxed, but youhave to be aware of what's going on around you, unlike the sheep that live in condition white.

I'm pretty much armed everywhere I go. I promised my family that when we're apart that I would come home to them every night, and I promised them that I would protect them from harm. If that promise gets broken, it won't be because of something I did or didn't do. This isn't the same world that I grew up in anymore, and folks it's going to get alot worse I believe. Plus with my luck the one time I decided not to carry, would be the one time I needed it.

Stay Alert/Stay Alive

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links