Paranoid or Cautious?

This is a discussion on Paranoid or Cautious? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just remembered this: A few weeks ago a woman up the block (lives alone) was very dirty from working in her yard. Went inside and ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Paranoid or Cautious?

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    Just remembered this:

A few weeks ago a woman up the block (lives alone) was very dirty from working in her yard.

Went inside and straight to the shower. When she came out there was a black nylon bag on her bed, with her jewlery and such in it. She didn't go thru bedroom to get to bath, so she doesn't know if it was there when she went in or not.

In any case, had the BG other ideas besides theft, it could have been very ugly.

AFAIK cops haven't caught anyone or have any real suspects.

If my pants are on, including PJs, I've got a gun on me somewhere. Maybe just a peashooter in the PJ pocket, but I've got one.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    You know Tank, I get a little pissy without my gun too!
    At least, that's what my wife tells me!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Distinguished Member Array AnimalKracker's Avatar
    I get into the habit of carrying, and it becomes like putting your pants on. When I go out side I'm dressed.

I'm going to tell you right now that just because you watch news doesn't mean you're a master in statistics. News only reports on a very, very, very few items that actually happen in a day. I am a dispatcher, I receive all reports of fire issues, medical-related issues and then law enforcement issues. I am the only dispatcher on duty when I work, I receive them all for a 5,000 sq mile area.

I live in a small town under my jurisdiction (< 2,500 people) and we have a local newspaper that we actually give them a copy of all of our calls, sorted by each day... But I will tell you that it is very much edited. Unless you have a very high profile or very involved call (e.g. evacuating a school/building, hostage incident, etc.), all calls that involve a victim that has been hurt or traumatized by an incident is not included in those copies -- they're edited out.

While I live in a small town, I know exactly what really goes on, day-by-day, hour-by-hour. I know who the threats are, I know the history of just about everyone that lives in my town and I can tell you that unless I am at work (per policy, no carry) I am armed. It's not a matter of paranoia or being overly cautious, it's the fact that you would rather have a firearm when you don't need it rather than not having one and really needing it. Just remember: Murphy's Law hates everyone equally. ;O)

Now when I come home, I make sure that the doors are locked all around my house so that it discourages anyone that does not live there to come in. Do I do that out of paranoia? No, it's an effort to avoid a potential factor that could harm me and my family. In fact, it's become more of a routine rather than a conscious effort. I have a gun within immediate reach because I know that a door is not final nor made out of 43 feet of concrete. It is made to keep out the elements and discourage people from coming in, a deterrant, not a blockade.

If you take precautions and avoid places like bad neighborhoods and it becomes habit, it becomes second nature and subconscious -- this is condition yellow. You are aware that there is the potential for a threat and you take certain precautions to minimize their potential like avoidance or deterrants. You can't predict when things are going to happen, otherwise I'd be rich with Lottery money right now. ;O) But you recognize that a threat exists and you have taken measures to be able to control that threat if and when it presents itself.

I will give you an analogy that I know hasn't been brought yet... I am a dispatcher. I am not paid to do things all day. I am paid to be there in case the #$^& hits the fan (SHTF). Period. I am the insurance policy that law enforcement takes out on the lives of themselves, firefighters, ambulance personnel and the public. I mean the difference between life and death in the small amount of seconds people have to live on a daily basis and I have just the same amount of few seconds to make decisions that swing the outcome either way.

My job doesn't exist because they expect bad things to happen or that peoples' lives will be in danger. My job exists to take back control over a very bad situation in the favor of the victims so that they live another day. You should view your gun the same way.

Cheers.

There are lot's of people in this country with concealed carry permits who almost never have a gun on them; they may keep one in the car, or may just carry one when they travel to the bank ATM at night. But many others carry all of the time, to the point that the act of carrying becomes part of their lifestyle. I'm going to stereotype members of the first group as those who never read gun magazines, go to the shooting range to maintain proficiency, or frequent online forums such as this. The latter type are just the opposite, subcribing to one or more combat hangun magazines, making frequent trips to the range, competing in IDPA matches, and contributing to this forum.

Those are the two extreme types of conceal carry behavior. One type is not necessarily more right than the other, but one type is definitely more prepared for when the S hits the fan. Most permit holders' behavior falls somewhere in between those extremes. When you read posts here, you're mainly hearing from people at the one extreme of behavior. They're not paranoid; they hope they'll never have to draw in self defense but they want to be ready anyway. Many have law enforcement experience and have seen that bad things happen to good people in good neighborhoods. You may not be comfortable carrying everywhere and everytime, but feel free to expose yourself to the opinions offered here. Just remember that the forum does not typically offer opinions from a true cross section of the entire conceal carry community.

I'm awake, I'm carrying.
    Bad stuff happens in good neighborhoods.

B/G's hit good neighborhoods because they have all the good stuff
    to steel.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by AceRider
    Is everyone who CCs this diligent about never being unarmed? Is this cautious behaviour or paranoia?
    Quote Originally Posted by American Heritage Dictionary
    Exhibiting or characterized by extreme and irrational fear or distrust of others.
    To paraphrase, it's only paranoid if they're not after you or if there's no risk.

The realistic view is: in any given city, there is always someone out there, looking for a criminal opportunity. In a larger city, it's surprising how many instances of crimes can be seen, beyond merely the ones listed in the morning newspaper.

In short: Liberals and perpetual optimists believe it can't happen to them. They're wrong. Being so blind to possibilities and realities affords comfort in their labeling others as paranoid, deluded, survivalist, militant types without a life. Some certainly are. Yet, those that have been through fire or war realize the futility of blindness, which can indeed get you killed.

I'm aware that things can happen anywhere, anytime ...
    Are you, really? Anywhere, anytime. That's quite a range of place and time. Think just what that means. Most people definitely are not aware.

Before going much further, consider performing a simple mental exercise the next time you're out at a park or people-watching on a city street. Try this: (a) pick out someone, anyone, as a hypothetical target; (b) imagine what it is about your "target" person which affords you, the hypothetical criminal, an opportunity or a way "in"; (c) think through the exact steps that would be required to surmount that person's apparent defenses; (d) rethink your "plan" again while trying very hard to boost the level of violence and/or speed, as a criminal might; (e) do this exercise for three different people. It should lead to a chilling realization of the simple level of force and speed, the simple tools, the simple "angle" that a criminal would need to exert in order to get inside the average person's overt defenses ... which, sadly, are often nil.

A walk through your neighborhood at 10am Saturday morning is an equally sobering experiment, when taking an hour to apply the same thinking to everyone/everyplace you see. It will become clear that opportunity and weakness exists in 75% of your neighbors' homes. Likely, yours as well.

... but do you ever relax a little?
    Am never uptight. Am never not relaxed. It doesn't alter my lifestyle very much at all, actually. High-intensity training and preparation years ago helped make this a part of me, such that it doesn't encumber my daily routine nor is it generally obvious to my friends or acquaintances that I'm doing anything peculiar or out of the ordinary.

I am always paying a minimum level of attention, doing a minimum level of situational assessment, and simply applying a little sensibility and rationality to my trip planning (in terms of place, time, company I keep while doing these things). Yes, that is during every waking hour, particularly when out and about.

Shti happens. It's not planned to happen. Nobody wants it to happen. Yet, for many folks in a given city every day, it happens. It's apparently random. Yet, only the dolts of the criminal community perform zero planning. It's clear there are patterns in the chaos, so to speak, in terms of what criminals see and take advantage of. An unlocked window or door, a careless employee, lax security measures, a too-regular schedule being kept, etc. Darned if I know what all of the patterns are. Suffice it to say that I'm aware of the existence of patterns and opportunities in my behavior; most folks don't have the first clue that they're actually aiding & abetting the next crime against themselves, unwittingly. That's the worst kind.

I've had a friend attacked while mowing his lawn; a friend's child nearly abducted off the front lawn during a 10sec lapse in attentiveness; survived a car jacking, myself, due to prep and reaction time; and survived a near-mugging, myself, by two perps in a dark parking lot at the corner market. Shti happens, with decidedly worse results if you're not able to counter the problem. It's that simple. That's the bulwark of the 2A: a person's ability to withstand the trials of being a citizen in a free country, including intrusions by a tyrannical gov't if need be (though, that's not my particular worry as yet).

That said, for me it comes down to simple precautions and adjustments, along with a constant low-level scan and appreciation for my immediate environment and the people in it. High-intensity training and preparation can quickly lead to that becoming a part of your waking moments, such that it is no longer obtrusive in the least. It merely becomes what you do. Picking up the wallet, watch, glasses and keys turns into: wallet, watch, glasses, keys, firearm. Seating in a restaurant just takes into account the simple fact that some seats can be easy targets if something were to happen; so, avoid those seats. Timing adjustments to one's schedule are also simple, with a bit of planning, such as groceries on the weekend instead of evenings, non-regular schedules and routes being used, parking inside the garage instead of on the street, good draperies, good locks ... a plan with forethought and deliberation.

To some, many of these steps would seem grossly irrational, grossly unnecessary, bordering on psychosis. In other words, paranoid. But it's only paranoid if it's not justified. The moment you have a laundry list of friends too long to recall where violent acts have occured, one appreciates the simple value of basic, minimal alterations and precautions. It's not obtrusive at all. It's merely a smart and realistic approach to a sometimes-dangerous world.

Still got doubts? Read:

The simple answer is: It's tough to go to the beach if you can't swim. It's tough to go sightseeing on the savannah if you can't stop the lion's charge. Likewise, in the modern world, it seems that one can't safely engage in a normal daily life, if one has zero preparation to defend onesself.

My $0.02. Or, $0.03 with inflation.

Happy, relaxed and vigilant,

- Michael
    Last edited by ccw9mm; August 12th, 2006 at 11:37 AM.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Not going to go into the whole story, but I was once in a posistion of desperately needing a firearm, but due to DOD regulations was not allowed to have one in my quarters. A 7 minute fight that ended with me requireing multiple stitches from a knife wound and the two cannibals that invaded my government quarters.

I spent the remainder of my carrer living in my own apartment, often at my own expense, without BHA so that I could retain my firearms. I am responsible for my family, and for my self so that I can provide for that family. I'm not going to let some cannibal who just ran out of gas on the interstate, or just ran out of crack across town choose me or my home to rob. I carry everywhere, with the exception of work, all the time. I lived in one of the safest enviroments possible and was still attacked and will not allow it to happen again. Paranoid or educated?
    We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
    George Orwell

Me and my family live in the safest township of Shelby County Tennessee. That having been said, we still have our firearms, we (my wife and I) still carry all day, even around the house.
    We have 5 kids. It is our duty and our purpose in life to protect them to the best of our ability.
    I know we can not be with them all the time. They do go to friends homes. They play with other kids in the neighborhood, but as much as possible, we are here to protect them and our home.

Maybe that makes us "paranoid". Quite frankly, I don't care. I think it is just being very prepared.

After all, just 20 miles down the interstate (I-40) is the violent crime capitol of this part of the country, Memphis. It only takes me 20 minutes to get from the city to my door. I think the criminals could make it here in at least that amount of time too.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I didn't read the whole thread, so forgive me if this is redundant.

I carry 24/7 because if one doesn't develop the habit then the chances that one will NOT be armed when they need it are greater.

Its like seatbelts ... you don't know when or where you will need your seatbelt so you get in the habit of wearing it ALL the time so you will be sure to have it when you need it (I know plenty of people who only wear their seatbelt on highways, but not on residential streets).

As for the false security of a "good neighborhood", I was born and raised in Wichita Kansas and lived there when the Carr Brothers brutalized and murdered a house full of white folk who lived in a "good neighborhood".

No place is 100% safe.
    Most places are 95% safe.

That 5% seems insignificant unless you're there for that 5%.

I carry any time it is legal. At home I'm always armed so it is not paranoid as far as I'm concerned.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

I carry at all times that I can except when flying or going into a place with a metal detector. You never know when something can or will happen. I am aware that the chances are exceptionally good that I will never have to use my pistol but it's better to have it when needed than not to have it! I live and work in safe areas, and live a safe lifestyle, but I think about road rage incidents ( how often do you encounter crazy drivers on the road!) that can happen anytime or breaking down and being stranded somewhere. All it takes is a car load of punks to pull up. I mainly carry to protect my wife. I couldn't stand by and see her get hurt. Finally, I feel naked without my pistol it's a comfort knowing it's there, just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by Zundfolge View Post
    No place is 100% safe. Most places are 95% safe. That 5% seems insignificant unless you're there for that 5%.
    Well said!

It is that simple. Defensive skills, weapons, mindset: it's insurance; a tool; not much more.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Assistant Administrator
    Most places are 95% safe. That 5% seems insignificant unless you're there for that 5%.
    Yep - good example Zund - tho I might back that off even more and say most places for me anyways - 99.5% safe probably - but even so - to be unarmed should that 0.5% even come to pass - will not be making my day a happy one!

It is indeed the, however small - ''factor of uncertainty''. There are no guarantees where safety is involved. To be non-packing if one of these should occur, is gonna make for a real bad day!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    My view, see the signature below.....
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links