Paranoid or Cautious? - Page 5

Paranoid or Cautious?

This is a discussion on Paranoid or Cautious? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Yesterday I heard a news piece on a local KC radio station... Some dipstick in Independence, MO turned his 3 pitbulls loose in his neighborhood ...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 86

Thread: Paranoid or Cautious?

  1. #61
    Member Array Moondoggie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    101
    Yesterday I heard a news piece on a local KC radio station...

    Some dipstick in Independence, MO turned his 3 pitbulls loose in his neighborhood "Just to cause some excitement".

    Result: 3 folks were attacked, 2 of them while mowing their lawns.

    Ya just never know when you're going to need a weapon!

    BTW, the dipstick in question was arrested/charged with 3 counts of 3rd degree aggravated assault, plus various & sundry other charges.

    Next, the lawsuits.
    If you ain't the lead dog, the view never changes.


  2. #62
    Member Array NaturalSelection's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    402
    Quote Originally Posted by AceRider View Post
    Do some of you live in terribly dangerous neighborhoods?
    what does that have to do with anything? benedict canyon was an upscale wealthy neighborhood where crime was non-existant.......right up until the night that the manson family forced their way in and slaughtered sharon tate and 5 others. based on case data, this was a slow and methodical torture. had they been properly armed the outcome would have been much different. whether or not your neighborhood is dangerous has absolutely nothing to do with your responsibility to be at all times armed.


    Do you ever leave your houses unarmed?
    im never unarmed inside my house......much less out of it and i live in a very nice neighborhood. (although unintentional) in fact, most nights i fall asleep in my recliner with either my glock or my 1911 still in its strongside OWB holster.


    Is this cautious behaviour or paranoia?
    perhaps gun-grabbers would call this paranoia.....i call it part of my normal routine.



    I'm aware that things can happen anywhere, anytime, but do you ever relax a little?
    all the time! in fact, it is because im armed that i am able to relax at all. i dont carry because im afraid. i carry so that i never have to be.


    What if you go to the beach or a pool?
    carry a glock.


    Skiing/ski slopes? Boating?
    carry something comfortable.


    Do some of you on this board consider that some others take this caution too far
    i dont care how far someone else takes it. if you want to sleep with 15 guns in the bed with you, thats your business. personal security is a personal responsibility and you should do whatever it takes to feel comfortable and safe.


    but does anyone go by risk assessment/probability?
    yes.....you are always at risk, no matter how small that risk may seem.


    I know that something could happen while I'm at work in Plano, in a massive office development, but the chances are slim
    every person in every office that has ever been shot by another disgruntled employee felt the same way.


    do you think I'm a fool to not carry?
    yes. sorry, you did ask a direct question.

  3. #63
    Senior Member Array Timmy Jimmy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    759
    During my CHL class my instructor asked if we were going to carry all the time. Some said yes some said no. The instructor who put a lot of emphasis on what a Liberal DA would do to you if you shot someone, then asked one of the people that said no so you are carrying and you have to shot someone and the DA has you on the stand and asks if you carry all the time and you say no then he asks so you were planning on shooting someone that day huh so you carried that day!

    That is when I decided to carry everywhere all the time.
    Timmy Jimmy

    If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

    "Carrying a gun is a social responsibility."

  4. #64
    Member Array Huzar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    472
    This is a very good question because that is something with which I am struggling as well at the moment. The issue is not that I am against carrying but I am trying to weigh should I or should I not (ok, this is hard to articulate but bear with me).

    Anyways, I'm applying for a CCW in CALI and I'm far enough along in the process that I have pretty good chances that I will get approved. So I get approved, what then? I originally applied for it because I go camping a lot into places that are in BFE and wild animals are a concern (bears especially). To show you my level of knowledge about it (I shot guns on and off as since I was a kid but to me a gun was a gun) I bought a .45 for a anti bear deterrent. Well, not I'm trying to decide which wheel gun will suit me best :winl: Anyways, since the time I applied I started following certain forums to get edumacated on issues facing me from carrying on and of. In general I live in a nice neighbourhood, not even a block from a CHP station, it's a nice residential area that is laid out in such a manner that people don't drive through it unless they live there as it's kind of inconvenient to do so. But..... the what ifs hit. If anything, which area would be best to target for a B&E? It's not a high class neighbourhood, but most folks are well settled and have nice things. OK, so I put a shotgun by the door. But what if I'm in the garage with the door open working on my jeep late at night? What then? OK, so I'll carry when I'm kind of exposed. But then what about when I"m in the back yard? Someone can jump one of the other yards and end up in mine? Well I got a dog, but while I think that my dog would defend me, he is not a big dog (it's a medium sized doberman pincher + something) he might not last too long against someone who knows how to deal with dogs or who has a baseball bat or something. So I carry in the back yard. But since I carry in the yard and in the front why not carry all the time? Well, ok, I'm getting paranoid, I mean it's civilized society and it's 21st century. OK, so I have the gun available in a convenient spot. But what if SHTF? I am a firm believer in Murphy and I realize that if I have a gun in what I consider a convenient spot, it will not be convenient then. OK, but what are the odds of that happening? Well... lets refer back to our friend Mr. Murphy.

    So where does this take me? I know some carry all the time, I know some carry most of the time. I think I will carry some of the time, for the rest of the time I will have my wits and a knife. I realize that it leaves me a bit "open" but I am willing to take my chances. I applaud those who carry 16/7 for their discipline, I just realize that most of my activities do prohibit me somewhat from doing so and I don't want to adjust myself too much because at that point I figure I have lost and the BG in general have won. Once I get my CCW it might change. Maybe I'll figure out a way to carry that will not be as cumbersome (problem is that you can have only 3 guns registered for CCW and I can see different guns for different scenarios and I don't think 3 is enough). We'll see..... I think that it will end up that I won't carry around the house but I will most likely carry most of the time out of the house.

    Anyways, I think that this is a question that most of the folks that are applying for a CC licence are facing. I think that if someone is not facing that question (no offense meant to anyone) he might not be the right person to carry. Kind of to follow up on it, I remember reading a post a month or two ago where someone commented on receiving the license "I sat down on the stairs in front of my house and cried because of the responsibility that comes with it".

    Something else to consider as well. Anyone ever read the book by Clancy "Teeth of the Tiger" ? It was a very well written book that started with a terrorist plot in the US where terrorists have hit many different malls and just started shooting people up. When you think about it, it's very very possible. Most people think planes, power plants, government buildings, but I think Clancy got it right. Place where it would hurt us most is where the civilians/non combatants are. Noone can really protect those places except ourselves. So I'm not really worried as much about a random bank robbery where someone is after the money but I'm more worried about a crazy nut who thinks that he is doing a good thing in the name of some sort of a belief. And before anyone fills into the blank a particular religion or belief keep in mind that we had local terrorism as well as foreign occur on our soil.

    OK.... now noone flame me, just take it for what it's worth. It's the thoughts that have crossed my mind as I have been thinking since the first day I decided to drop of my application for a CCW. Some of them contradict themselves, some of them tie into each other, some of them... well, you see... some of them come way out of the left field. I can tell you that much: I don't want to be a hero, and I hope to God that I will never, ever be forced to take a life.

  5. #65
    Senior Member Array older gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Florida Panhandle
    Posts
    725
    Hi AceRider,
    I took your post as a serious inquiry. I have always lived in pretty nice areas. In one in Georgia, a neighbor was shot and killed in his home. Never solved AFAIK. Now I live in a seniors mobile home park that seems very safe. Yet we still have an occasional theft. Someone stole my bicycle from my carport last year.

    So, to answer your question, when I decided to get my CCW, I decided to carry at all times it was possible to do so. I'm still guilty of taking the garbage out without my pistol, but I look carefully before I step out. I keep my house gun with me when I'm watching TV or on my computer. I sleep with it beside the bed.

    I'll never know ahead of time when some creep may decide to try to rob me or react violently if i catch him/her trespassing. Therefore, I find it prudent to keep my weapon on my person or within arms reach all the time.

  6. #66
    Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    1,675
    I carry everywhere I go except work. When I am at home, I keep a firearm handy most of the time.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

  7. #67
    VIP Member Array ccw9mm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    28,415
    Quote Originally Posted by Huzar View Post
    ... it's civilized society and it's 21st century.
    No and yes.

    By and large, modern society in the USA is fairly civilized, but that by no means takes away from the fact there are animals out hunting, and not just on camping trips.

    Yes, it's the 21st Century. May that, at some point, prove advantageous.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

  8. #68
    Member Array Huzar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    472
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    No and yes.

    By and large, modern society in the USA is fairly civilized, but that by no means takes away from the fact there are animals out hunting, and not just on camping trips.

    Yes, it's the 21st Century. May that, at some point, prove advantageous.
    OK, maybe I should have phrased it differently. What I meant to say is that it's not a little western town in the middle of gold or silver rush anymore

  9. #69
    Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    1,133
    You're right. In those days women would mostly be treated with great respect and neighbors would help each other, instead of ignoring cries for help.


    Quote Originally Posted by Huzar View Post
    OK, maybe I should have phrased it differently. What I meant to say is that it's not a little western town in the middle of gold or silver rush anymore
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

  10. #70
    VIP Member Array ccw9mm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    28,415
    I don't want to be a slave to carrying a gun.
    I'm pretty much a slave to breathing. That seals it, for me. With decent prep and training, it means that weaponry is just another thing carried as we go about our lives.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

  11. #71
    Member Array AceRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    95
    This has been some good reading after a weekend off.

    Thanks for the insight, everyone. I don't know what I'll do after reading all of this.

    Yes, danger can find you anywhere. No, I don't want to sit in my chair reading with a gun on my hip or wear one while cutting the grass or have a glock for the shower... HAHA!

    I'll have to find what makes me comfortable and stick with it.

    Someone else posted something which is the reason this bothers me: once you realize that there could be danger anywhere, then you have to carry every waking moment and keep one under your pillow. I don't like that thought.

    There are other means for safety when in your home - locks and alarms are two that come to mind. Locks give you momentary protection to get a gun if needed and alarms bring a lot of attention if set off.

    This will be a long decision making process to decide what I'm comfortable doing.

  12. #72
    Assistant Administrator
    Array P95Carry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    South West PA
    Posts
    25,484
    This will be a long decision making process to decide what I'm comfortable doing.
    That Ace is where hopefully all the input here will help you - to find your own personal level of acceptable comfort.

    If that has assisted then it has been worthwhile - such that your final ''carry level'' suits your intended purpose, as seen by just you, regardless of other's opinions.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

    "To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."


    http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

  13. #73
    Member Array cray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    117
    Quote Originally Posted by AceRider View Post
    I don't like that thought.
    That's a key point, and one which many people hold .. they don't like to think that anything could happen at any time. And, I understand, it's not comforting to expect the very worst that life can throw at you, but at the same time, you (all of us) have to be realists, and consider our own limits, capabilities, and day-to-day lives.

    Let me ask you this, do you have homeowner's insurance, car insurance, life insurance? No need to answer, just consider your response in the context of this thread.

    I'm not judging you friend, this is an extremely personal, life-changing decision. But, please keep in mind that not wanting it to happen does absolutely nothing for you .. no one wants bad things to happen. If you think about it and contemplate the various ways it'll impact your life, and I KNOW you're doing that right now, it's one of the most important decisions you'll ever make, IMHO.

    Good luck and best wishes as you work your way though this ..

  14. #74
    Member Array Discu Stu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Memphis
    Posts
    21
    I moved to Memphis about 5 months ago. violoent crime is on the upswing. we live in a decent area, but about 4 blocks away the ghetto starts. usually here a gunshot 1 night/week. i carry every time i leave the house, even to walk a block to the convenience store.

    I have a loaded handgun in every room of the house so i don't feel compelled to strap a gun on the moment i wake up, but if i go out somewhere, i usually leave the carry gun on me the rest of the day.

  15. #75
    Senior Member Array rachilders's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Longview, TX
    Posts
    932
    Quote Originally Posted by AceRider View Post
    ...Yes, danger can find you anywhere. No, I don't want to sit in my chair reading with a gun on my hip or wear one while cutting the grass or have a glock for the shower...

    Someone else posted something which is the reason this bothers me: once you realize that there could be danger anywhere, then you have to carry every waking moment and keep one under your pillow. I don't like that thought.

    There are other means for safety when in your home - locks and alarms are two that come to mind. Locks give you momentary protection to get a gun if needed and alarms bring a lot of attention if set off...
    My view as well. There is more to personal security than just a gun on your hip, though there's nothing wrong with that if you feel the need and know not only how to use that gun but when.

    Iím personally of the opinion that it's much easier to prevent problems than it is to solve them once they've occurred. If it's at all possible, I avoid places and situations where I'm most likely to encounter problems. I've trained my eyes, ears and brain to look for the unexpected or anything that doesn't seem "normal". I don't look for trouble; I make it come looking for me, and always try to have a plan in case it finds me.

    By doing these things and taking other simple precautions (locking your doors & windows and having an alarm installed on both car and home, using security lights to light your house/yard at night, etc), you'll avoid 99.9% of the situations where you would need to defend yourself from an attack.

    It's for that other 0.1% that I own a gun. It's like the advice that says it's not safe to stand under a tree during a storm. Millions of people run for cover during a sudden downpour and never get into any trouble (other than getting wet). Still, there is the possibility of getting struck by lightning because it DOES happen, though it's rare. It's for those rare times we should avoid making ouselves a target if it can be avoided and it's the same with using a gun for self-defense... while it's are rare event in the grand scheme of thing, it DOES happen.
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Am I paranoid, or cautious?
    By Bubbiesdad in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 94
    Last Post: February 11th, 2010, 06:56 PM
  2. Am I Being Too Paranoid?
    By Guvn3r in forum Carry & Defensive Scenarios
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: April 13th, 2009, 06:19 PM
  3. Paranoid
    By shingman2345 in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 62
    Last Post: November 5th, 2008, 04:59 PM
  4. Are we paranoid?
    By Rbrown777 in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: January 22nd, 2008, 06:37 PM
  5. Paranoid?
    By Otis in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: September 10th, 2005, 12:32 AM

Search tags for this page

are you paranoid if you carry a gun or cautious
,
concealed carry paranoid
,

paranoid or cautious

Click on a term to search for related topics.