Paranoid or Cautious?

This is a discussion on Paranoid or Cautious? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My solution to the dilemmia is a j-frame in a Kramer pocket holster. A 442, 642, 638 etc is basically unnoticable all day and all ...

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Paranoid or Cautious?

My solution to the dilemmia is a j-frame in a Kramer pocket holster. A 442, 642, 638 etc is basically unnoticable all day and all it requires is the sacrifice of one pocket. Sure, it isn't the gee-whiz-bang hand cannon we all lust for, but it is there and in competent hands it is every effective. Just tuck it there in the morning and you can all but forget that it is there (unless you are going places it is illegal to carry).

Ace, I think you will find as time goes on that carrying is not nearly as stressful or uncomfortable as it first appears. I must confess to adhering in part to the threat/risk analysis. What normally rides in my pocket is far different from what I carry into Detroit. If I am going to a friends house for a drink or something, I have no problem not carrying a firearm; a folder or kubaton and my hands are decently effective weapons. I refuse to allow the risk of criminal conduct to substantially interfere with enjoying life. I swim, I ski, I have a beer etc without a gun. Life goes on and I am not going to allow the BG's to ruin it for me. That said, if I can prudently/reasonably carry, I will.

Carrying a guns simply gives you one more option, and I really love options. Thats why I carry a folder or kubaton and know how to use my hands, feet, knees, and elbows. Have a gun you can rely on, but don't rely on the gun alone. It is not a miracle working wonder cure. Ask anyone who has ever been disarmed.

Dont sweat it and don't feel like you have to live your life in fear or are strictly obligated to carry 24/7. Get used to carrying and find what is reasonable/prudent for you. Make sure you get a BUG which is completely comfortable to have on you at most all times; it eliminates most of the reasons that people don't carry. My 442 is no more of a inconvenience/burden than my wallet or keys.

All the best,

Joe

2. Remove Ads

Once I decided that carrying was important, I've had a hard time justifying not carrying. One of the things that influence my decision to carry was reading the metro section of the Dallas Morning News. Just about any day you can read about a home invasion, car jacking, or mugging while pumping gas. I'm not paranoid, but I was a boy scout. "Be Prepared" stuck with me.

Paranoid? Or Prepared?

Quote Originally Posted by dr_cmg View Post
    I am one of those people who carries if he is awake. The only exception is in the shower. I suppose that swimming and such would not allow me to carry. Since I very seldom go swimming - it's been years and don't care for the beach it's not a problem.

Does my cousin carry a concealed weapon - you bet your life he does. He also has other weapons in strategic places. He knows that just because no one has been stupid enough to try again for 27 years that could change today. Statistics are useful in some areas, but with your life is not one of them. Again using the odds of 1 in 10,000 as an example (it maybe more or less than that). If the chances of being a victim of armed assault are 1 in 10,000 today, somebody is going to be that 1 and if I am that 1 I fully intend to be as prepared as possible for the situation.

If someone wants to call that paranoid, so be it. I would rather be a live paranoid than a dead body.
    LOL I know some folks who finally broke down and purchased some Combat Tupperware aka the Glock pistol simply because it was a gun they knew they could comfortably leave in the refridgerator or in the shower....just in case....

Paranoid? That's not the question. The real question is are you paranoid enough???

I am forbidden by law to carry at work, since I'm a school teacher. I have never felt the need to be armed in school at any of the schools in which I have taught over the years. However, I'm also comfortable enough with the knowledge that I can handle myself in unarmed combat and I also know how to make some rather lethal improvised weapons out of some very innocuous objects should the need arise.

Other than my work, it's pretty much like AMEX. Especially these days! My spydey sense is very strong and tingly that something in the way of another 911 is in motion. An armed Sheepdog may very well be the only thing standing between the sheep and eternity next time. So not only am I always armed....it's something serious with a spare mag. Serious guns/calibers....for serious times....
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

I'll give you an idea of how paranoid I am. I'm flying from Florida to Washington on 911!

Quote Originally Posted by Phantomphixer View Post
    I'll give you an idea of how paranoid I am. I'm flying from Florida to Washington on 911!
    DC or State? I'm flying from SoCal to Seattle on 911!!!!!

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. I pretty much have one on 24/7, when and where legal.

Seattle via Dallas/Ft Worth. Stay safe.

When do I carry?

Only when I'm wearing pants...
    I can't carry at school, and this has been a new experience for me. I came out of a 7-year retirement and took a high school teaching position.
    Outside of that, I always have a firearm on my person. I live in a great nieghborhood...and I intend to KEEP it that way.

Down here in Florida, I was taken back by the many 'locals' I met...and during many a pleasant conversation, would discover that we both carry. I was getting a haircut in town and the barber (pushing 80) asked me about the NRA magazine I was reading...eventually...he pulled a revolver out of his pocket and laughingly stated that one can't be too careful.

In the car, on my Harley, cutting the grass...I'm armed! Anywhere in the house I have a second firearm 2 seconds away. I also have two 'four legged friends...one is a 125# Rhodesian Ridgeback! They let us know when anyone is around, day or night!

In two weeks, my wife and I will celebrate 35 years of pure bliss (give or take 20 years). After passing the 33 year mark and an incident in a parking garage in Gainesville, Florida, my wife said that she would consider getting a pistol and her permit.

Needless to say, I had her detective '38 special' in about 2 hours. The following Saturday I took her for her permit 'class'. She now goes to the range WITH me. She doesn't carry ALL the time, but she certainly understands why I DO!

I might add, that this has been a great thread; I have enjoyed reading each of the many 'inputs'...Well Done to All!

ret

VIP Member

Interesting quote...

A friend of mine just sent me this... interesting!

10July06

Coincidence, or something more sinister?

In a booklet of advice to South African farmers, who were targeted for extermination by the ANC during the Apartheid era (and continuing today, now that the ANC IS the government!), one stanza reads, "Don't con yourself into thinking you're too insignificant to be targeted." A Soviet infantry manual, dating from the 1930s, puts it this way, "Don't touch anything unnecessarily. Beware of pretty girls in dance halls, bicycles, revolvers, uniforms, dead horses, and men lying on roads. They are not there accidentally!"

"Paranoia" is a mental disorder, characterized by irrational belief in delusory threats. Taking reasonable precautions in an effort to protect one's self against known, active threats, endemic to Planet Earth, is not a manifestation of paranoia, although the shallow and naive always identify it as such, usually in an effort to convince themselves more than to convince you.

I've been asked more than once, "Since you go armed and keep guns in your home in a high state of readiness, may I assume you have no faith in the police department?" I customarily reply, "Because you keep a fire extinguisher in your home, may I assume you have no faith in the fire department? When it comes to protecting my life, the only one I'll ever have, I leave little to chance, and I'm not about to believe that someone else cares about me more than I do. In the end, we're all dead anyway, but it's a tough and dangerous world in the interim, and, while some day, I'm confident my body will succumb to bacterial attack, I'm determined that it not succumb to criminal attack between then and now. I consider my life too precious for that!

As professional gunmen therefore, we have to be cynical, shrewd, and wary, while at the same time being appreciative, inquisitive, and caring, taking full advantage of all this life has to offer. Only fools sit on the sidelines. On the other hand, only fools con themselves or allow themselves to be conned by others, and only fools permit fear to drive them to inaction, and maybe crazy (paranoid?) too!

"When young, I worried about making mistakes. When old, I wish I'd made more!"

/John

created by dti@clouds.com
    Copyright © 2006 by DTI, Inc. All rights reserved.
    created on Monday July 10, 2006 23:59:2 MST
    Last edited by Thumper; August 15th, 2006 at 01:06 AM.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Interesting read; thanks for sharing.

there are three things i do not leave the house without, my watch, my wallet, my gun. i have lost phones, keys, knives, money, and wedding rings(sorry baby), but those 3 things will always be on me. i an armed outside my house everywhere it is leagally possible, and in my house if i dont still have it strapped to me, i move it from room to room with me, like my father says "it is better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it"

PS randytulsa2 is not my dad
    Last edited by hurst1911a1; August 16th, 2006 at 05:12 AM.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Links