Paranoid or Cautious?

This is a discussion on Paranoid or Cautious? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Some may take offense at these questions or think I'm being combative, but I'm curious; not trying to start a big debate, just interested. I ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Paranoid or Cautious?

Paranoid or Cautious?

Some may take offense at these questions or think I'm being combative, but I'm curious; not trying to start a big debate, just interested.

I just read the post about "Mexican Carry" and someone mentioned going to the grill in their back yard. I read somewhere else about never opening the door without a gun in hand.

Do some of you live in terribly dangerous neighborhoods? Do you ever leave your houses unarmed?

Is everyone who CCs this diligent about never being unarmed? Is this cautious behaviour or paranoia?

I'm aware that things can happen anywhere, anytime, but do you ever relax a little? What if you go to the beach or a pool? Skiing/ski slopes? Boating?

Do some of you on this board consider that some others take this caution too far or is everyone here of uniform opinion?

I don't know how to phrase this properly, but does anyone go by risk assessment/probability? I know that something could happen while I'm at work in Plano, in a massive office development, but the chances are slim so I probably wouldn't carry to work. If I carried, it would be when I go to dinner late at night in some areas that aren't great that have restaurants I like. Do you think I'm a fool? If there is the barest minimum chance of something happening, do you think I'm a fool to not carry? Do you assess and manage risk or is it all risk, all the time?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I guess you could say that one man's caution is another man's paranoia...

I don't carry every waking moment, and there are times when I go out and about with nothing more than a folding knife. You have to make your own assessment of risk, and go with what you feel is right.
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by AceRider
    Do some of you live in terribly dangerous neighborhoods? Do you ever leave your houses unarmed?
    I, for one, don't live in a bad neighborhood at all. In fact, my 940 is usally upstairs. Bad idea? Maybe. But I don't feel unsafe in my home. As for leaving home, its like AMEX.

I'm aware that things can happen anywhere, anytime, but do you ever relax a little? What if you go to the beach or a pool? Skiing/ski slopes? Boating?
    That's a time/place call. The beach? I don't swim in the ocean, so I have a maxiped bag at hand with a hidden holster I can carry around.

Do some of you on this board consider that some others take this caution too far or is everyone here of uniform opinion?
    No, people carry or not based on personal considerations on time/place/where they live/etc.

I don't know how to phrase this properly, but does anyone go by risk assessment/probability?
    No, the probability is low that I'll need it. But I'm use to carrying it and feel that times are changing.

I know that something could happen while I'm at work in Plano, in a massive office development, but the chances are slim so I probably wouldn't carry to work.
    I carry too work, but leave it in the carsafe during work hours.

If I carried, it would be when I go to dinner late at night in some areas that aren't great that have restaurants I like. Do you think I'm a fool? If there is the barest minimum chance of something happening, do you think I'm a fool to not carry? Do you assess and manage risk or is it all risk, all the time?
    I carry all the time, so there isn't any risk assessment. Of course, I don't go where its not as safe, just because I can carry. Its that whole "power=responsibility" thing.

CCW is always a personal choice endeavor as it pertains to when and where, with what and how.

RJ
    Sometimes there's Justice
    Sometimes there's Just Us

... I don't know how to phrase this properly, but does anyone go by risk assessment/probability? ...
    In general, outcomes are probability of an event occurring multiplied by the severity of that event.

outcome = P * S

What is the probability of me needing to use my gun while going to work
    multiplied by
    What is the severity of not having my gun if I need it.

I think that people who carry "more" than you do are more in tune with the severity side of the equation.

just my 0.02.

Nice neighborhoods

Nice neighborhoods have nice houses full of nice stuff. Willie Sutton robbed banks because that's where the money was. Nicole Simpson lived in a nice neighborhood in Los Angeles, and answered the door unarmed.

Maybe you have to be more cautious if you have more to lose. Some may call it paranoia - I call it prudence.

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    We live in a pretty nice area, kinda country, but close to town, and have never had anything bad happen around our house (with the exception of the occasional mailbox vandal). So up until a few months ago we were kind of lax about carrying at home. However, there have recently been a rash of home invasions in our county and they haven't just been limited to the "bad" areas. We now are quite vigilant, paranoid? No, just cautious.
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar
    Some may take offense at these questions or think I'm being combative, but I'm curious; not trying to start a big debate, just interested.

I just read the post about "Mexican Carry" and someone mentioned going to the grill in their back yard. I read somewhere else about never opening the door without a gun in hand.

Is everyone who CCs this diligent about never being unarmed? Is this cautious behaviour or paranoia?

I don't know how to phrase this properly, but does anyone go by risk assessment/probability? I know that something could happen while I'm at work in Plano, in a massive office development, but the chances are slim so I probably wouldn't carry to work. If I carried, it would be when I go to dinner late at night in some areas that aren't great that have restaurants I like. Do you think I'm a fool? If there is the barest minimum chance of something happening, do you think I'm a fool to not carry? Do you assess and manage risk or is it all risk, all the time?

I carry 16/7, as much as possible.

I live in a really nice neighborhood, in a really nice town with lots of police.

I posted something on GlockTalk that relates to this: I don't think those of us who carry should get all cozy with statistics. Because the thing is, if you get attacked, what difference does it make how great your neigborhood is? Do you think because you live in a nice neighborhood that you can carry less of a gun, or that you can relax and be in condtion white all the time? Those of us who carry need to stay in condition yellow, and always be ready. If you go around thinking what a nice neighborhood you live in, it tends to get in the way of staying alert.

Paranoia or preparation. I vote for preparation.

I just looked all this up. The diagnosis of pure paranoia is no longer used (having been superseded by the diagnosis of delusional disorder. More recently, the clinical use of the term has been used to describe delusions where the affected person believes they are being persecuted. Specifically, they have been defined as containing two central elements: (1) The individual thinks that harm is occurring, or is going to occur, to him or her and (2) The individual thinks that the persecutor has the intention to cause harm.

"So..one man's reality is another's Thorazine-addled hallucination" Author Unknown

I always carry.

*Edited for spelling and I confused myself

I pretty much agree with Jaxon's outlook. I feel safe in my home, my neighborhood and (in general) the town I live in. However, I DO have a weapon with me when I am away from my home "just in case", and keep one at home ready to use if it should become necessary. Maybe I've been lucky or maybe it's because I'm cautious and keep aware of my suroundings, but I haven't needed my weapon to defend myself or family since I received my license (or for almost 30 years prior to it). Still, that doesn't mean it can't happen tomorrow.

Whether to carry and when is a personal choice each person must make based on their own experiences and "risk assessment". I won't call someone else paranoid if he feels the needs to carry every waking hour if he feels it's necessary for his protection. On the other hand, I want call someone else careless or a sheeple if they only carry on occasion or when going to potential trouble areas. We make our choices and live with the consequences, whether good or bad.
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

VIP Member

Paranoid?

I like to say: "Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean that they're not after me!"

But on the serious side...

My instructor once asked me: "Do you carry all the time?"
    I said: "No!"
    He said: "That's too bad."
    I said: "Why?"
    He said: "Because you probably won't have it when you need it!"

That was warning enough for me. I started carrying ALL the time from that day on. The only exception is at work where it's not permitted.

ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Carry

If you only carry in places that you think you might need a gun you might be better off just deciding not to go to those places.

I carry every time I leave the house and I have a gun within an arms reach inside the house.

If you ever need a gun you're going to want it bad and fast.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    someone mentioned going to the grill in their back yard.
    Um unless i am mistaken that would be me lol . I am not paranoid ( had a hell of a doc in a study tell me that ) but understand that i worked for some years LE , and during the course of my employment i worked mainly as an investigator ... I have literaly lost count of the folks who swore at sentancing that they would get even ... I dont worry about it a lot ... i just carry .. with what i have done it is just good judgement and i accept it is somewhat a lifetime commitment . You make your own choices on comfort level with your life/lifestyle tho .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Assistant Administrator
    Ace - I covered this in another thread a ways back in detail - can't remember which one tho.

Let me just say that for me carry is dedication - somewhat all or nothing. I have a theoretical very low risk factor but that hardly guarantees nothing will happen.

I do not ever want to not be legally carrying should something go down - it would not only possibly see me dead but somewhat negate all the years I have carried! It'd seem crazy to reach down to my right hip when needed, only to think - ''oh crap - forgot it!"

I'll add too - is there any day you might leave your spare out of car or truck - because somehow you ''know'' there will not be a flat?? It is the uncertainty in life that for me makes my carry a dedication - I do or I don't - but I do 16/7. I fully expect and hope to never ever need it but - it is just one of many ''insurances''.

It's that simple - no paranoia at all.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    for the record also i took AceRider's post as an actual attempt to understand , not a flame in any way . Just where i felt i was mentioned by action if not name .. i should respond out of common courtacy . if nothing else ... its a no harm no fowl issue here .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links