Erie County Permit Upgrade DENIED!!

This is a discussion on Erie County Permit Upgrade DENIED!! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by smolck Move to a new state. NYS seems to be in the top 5 on gun unfriendly states anyways. OR, get yourself ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Erie County Permit Upgrade DENIED!!

Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    Move to a new state. NYS seems to be in the top 5 on gun unfriendly states anyways. OR, get yourself and about 10 million like minded individuals to vote out the current law makers in congress.

Seems the current yahoos forgot about the second part of the second amendment about the right to BEAR arms.
    I am a Deputy Sheriff I have unrestricted carry on my Badge and ID. I think everyone should have a concealed weapon. When I was a Civilian I was in the same boat, but out in Nassau County. They issued target/hunting permits. I got a business permit when I worked on an armored car. Now I had property for hunting in Fishs Eddy NY. There the permits were unrestricted as the sitting judge was pro 2nd amendment. I was tempted to move my address there.

NYS is soo liberal that even women who were subjected to being raped can't get unrestricted permits. How sad it is!
    One more step and it's on!

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by wwelch315 View Post
    I had heard that Erie County had been upgrading some permits after a year of having them. So I decided I would try and get my permit upgraded to Unrestricted, guess not.

Here is what the letter said;

After reviewing the above-named Licensee's file and application submitted for an upgrade in the status of firearms license previously issued herein on XXXX XX, 2010, the Court has determined that the licensee is not eligible for an upgrade to unrestricted status at this time.

Section 400.00-2(f) requires the demonstration of "proper cause" for the issuance of an unrestricted firearms license. Such has not been demonstrated in this case. Try again.

Licensee's appliction for an upgrade to an unrestricted license is therefore DENIED. Licensee may apply for an upgrade in status after five years from date of issuance, with showing proper cuase.

SO ORDERED

M. William Boller

As neighboring Niagara County has been issuing unrestricted from the start I was hoping that maybe after the year I could get Erie County to upgrade mine. Not only was I wrong, but now they want us to wait 5 years? For what? Ridiculous. Maybe I'll move to Niagara County, it is closer to work.
    I also live in Erie County and applied for an Unrestricted a year + a day after having a Business Carry. They sent the permit back Unrestricted in 4 days! Same Judge.

Not trying to rub it in. Just giving here how I approached it: I spent some time writing a good set of reasons, though none was earth-shattering, mostly being older and hours I work till very late evening. Maybe try again in a few months with careful thought about what you do, work, living specifics, and a good detailed letter. I also had written about my efforts to become a safe and knowledgeable owner of handguns, range time, readings, talking to NRA Instructors, police and range-shooting with a lot of off-duty police, working with NRA instructor etc.

The Judge is not known to be anti-gun and is a hunter I believe. Try again in a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    Just curious, what does "unrestricted" get you that your current permit doesn't? Wondering what is so special you need "proper cause". In my state (a MAY issue state BTW) all I had to say was "for self defense".
    The ability to conceal. Typically only exists in NY,NJ,MA,CA. If saying self defense got you a permit, sounds like your state (or county) may be shall issue by practice.

Connecticut is a MAY issue state, and here the proper response is All Lawful Purposes.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by BkCo1 View Post
    WWelch, Might I suggest you start carring alot of targets and several 100 rounds of ammo when you are carrying. That way you could say your intent was to stop and target shoot.
    Semper Fi
    I live in Erie County as well. Got my permit in 2002 restricted for "Target and Hunting". I was always "on my way to the target shooting" and carried my "restricted" permit for 8 years. And since you can buy ammo and targets at the range, I kept ear plugs in every car and jacket (good practice anyway). I've never heard of anyone getting in trouble for carrying and being "restricted". Bunch of B.S. from the County. I finally got around to sending in the application for unrestricted and included a write up of my 10K violin, explaining that I play gigs all over the WNY area. I expected a "personal business" to come back but it came back unrestricted. That was when Kathy Hochul was in charge of the office.

Keep your nose clean and carry when you need to get gas. You can always be on your way to the gun range on Nia. Falls Blvd. or anywhere in the country side. And what's a safer way to carry than on your person. Certainly don't want to be leaving it in your car when you gas up and some fool steals your car while your inside paying for the gas. Now he has a gun, too! Not met a cop that will argue that point with you.

Just my $.02 and I'm not a lawyer or LEO.

Jim

To the OP: How long did you have your permit before applying for Unrestricted? If less than a year that may have been the problem. But like I said I had a Business Carry just a day over 1 year and then seemed to be no trouble -

Quote Originally Posted by walleye View Post
    To the OP: How long did you have your permit before applying for Unrestricted? If less than a year that may have been the problem. But like I said I had a Business Carry just a day over 1 year and then seemed to be no trouble -
    I had it for 9 months when I submitted the upgrade paperwork, 10 months by the time Judge saw it. What I was really thrown off by was the lasts sentence about applying after 5 years, that seems unreasonable, but then again I think I can get it upgraded before the 5 years. I'm not sure their reason for putting it in there.

Your advice is poor. Your are advocating carrying out of class. What are you going to tell the guy when his permit gets yanked?.

Quote Originally Posted by violinjim View Post
    I live in Erie County as well. Got my permit in 2002 restricted for "Target and Hunting". I was always "on my way to the target shooting" and carried my "restricted" permit for 8 years. And since you can buy ammo and targets at the range, I kept ear plugs in every car and jacket (good practice anyway). I've never heard of anyone getting in trouble for carrying and being "restricted". Bunch of B.S. from the County. I finally got around to sending in the application for unrestricted and included a write up of my 10K violin, explaining that I play gigs all over the WNY area. I expected a "personal business" to come back but it came back unrestricted. That was when Kathy Hochul was in charge of the office.

Keep your nose clean and carry when you need to get gas. You can always be on your way to the gun range on Nia. Falls Blvd. or anywhere in the country side. And what's a safer way to carry than on your person. Certainly don't want to be leaving it in your car when you gas up and some fool steals your car while your inside paying for the gas. Now he has a gun, too! Not met a cop that will argue that point with you.

Jim
    One more step and it's on!

Quote Originally Posted by violinjim View Post

Jim
    Quote Originally Posted by dripster View Post
    Your advice is poor. Your are advocating carrying out of class. What are you going to tell the guy when his permit gets yanked?.
    Agreed, our biggest defense of our rights is that WE the good guys follow the laws, This advise outright says do what you want to do. This statement would be GOLD in the hands of the anti's! NY sucks, that's pretty clear. If you don't want to deal with their crap, move out and join the rest of America and freedom.

Quote Originally Posted by Snatale42 View Post
    The ability to conceal. Typically only exists in NY,NJ,MA,CA. If saying self defense got you a permit, sounds like your state (or county) may be shall issue by practice.
    Well, the individual county sheriffs issue the permits and they are "pro revenue" they collect for the permit. Over 66,000 licensed CC'ers in my county alone at $10 a piece. For a county on the verge of bankruptcy, I dare say my 7 year old could get a permit.

We could stalk you for a couple weeks if that would help you get your permit. . .

Somewhere in the Pacific NW

South of Ol' Tascosa, two miles from water, twenty miles from Hell
    God, ain't it great to live in Texas.

Jungle Work
    Graduate: University of South Vietnam-
    School of Jungle Warfare

CURRAHEE My Brothers In Blood

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    Ya think?

There are many upstanding citizens who carry without the hassle of a permit... but, if they get caught, they end up "in the system," with the very folks they were exercising their constitutional right to defend themselves against...

Shame, that.
    Those who carry illegally are criminals, not upstanding citizens. It could be said the same about drug users, prostitutes, and other laws that people disagree with.

Quote Originally Posted by Toorop View Post
    Those who carry illegally are criminals, not upstanding citizens. It could be said the same about drug users, prostitutes, and other laws that people disagree with.
    Astute observation - and very true.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by wwelch315 View Post
    I had it for 9 months when I submitted the upgrade paperwork, 10 months by the time Judge saw it. What I was really thrown off by was the lasts sentence about applying after 5 years, that seems unreasonable, but then again I think I can get it upgraded before the 5 years. I'm not sure their reason for putting it in there.
    A year is the usual period before applying for unrestricted - and people do get restrictions removed then, though some may have to wait longer.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links