Erie County Permit Upgrade DENIED!! - Page 4

Erie County Permit Upgrade DENIED!!

This is a discussion on Erie County Permit Upgrade DENIED!! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well... My clock started yesterday. I dropped off my application Wednesday and got fingerprinted yesterday afternoon. I will let you know how it takes (if ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Erie County Permit Upgrade DENIED!!

Well... My clock started yesterday. I dropped off my application Wednesday and got fingerprinted yesterday afternoon. I will let you know how it takes (if I remember to do so). I am hopeful that I might be a bit quicker than most (I am a retired member of the USCG and have several years of Federal LE experience.

Hopefully, the LEOSA will 'fast track' my permit (I am not holding my breathe)

Quote Originally Posted by wwelch315 View Post
    I had heard that Erie County had been upgrading some permits after a year of having them. So I decided I would try and get my permit upgraded to Unrestricted, guess not.

Here is what the letter said;

After reviewing the above-named Licensee's file and application submitted for an upgrade in the status of firearms license previously issued herein on XXXX XX, 2010, the Court has determined that the licensee is not eligible for an upgrade to unrestricted status at this time.

Section 400.00-2(f) requires the demonstration of "proper cause" for the issuance of an unrestricted firearms license. Such has not been demonstrated in this case.

Licensee's appliction for an upgrade to an unrestricted license is therefore DENIED. Licensee may apply for an upgrade in status after five years from date of issuance, with showing proper cuase.

SO ORDERED

M. William Boller

As neighboring Niagara County has been issuing unrestricted from the start I was hoping that maybe after the year I could get Erie County to upgrade mine. Not only was I wrong, but now they want us to wait 5 years? For what? Ridiculous. Maybe I'll move to Niagara County, it is closer to work.
    Hmmm..... I had no trouble with an upgrade after a year and a day of my getting my original permit, don't know your situation or background so can't comment on why. Do you have a business - including a secondary one? I originally had a Business Carry for a secondary photography business, and with expensive cameras carried around had a need for a Carry permit. If you do have a business where you may need to Carry, get a Doing Business in Erie County Certificate from the County Office where you live - or ask where to go. It's not involved and costs I think $30. You just register the business with a name and show proof of residence. I know some home-remodelers have one. Then you could see if you could switch to that kind of permit.

Good Luck. Be helpful if you knew why you were turned down -

I had heard that Erie County had been upgrading some permits after a year of having them. So I decided I would try and get my permit upgraded to Unrestricted, guess not.

After reviewing the above-named Licensee's file and application submitted for an upgrade in the status of firearms license previously issued herein on XXXX XX, 2010, the Court has determined that the licensee is not eligible for an upgrade to unrestricted status at this time.

Section 400.00-2(f) requires the demonstration of "proper cause" for the issuance of an unrestricted firearms license. Such has not been demonstrated in this case.

Licensee's appliction for an upgrade to an unrestricted license is therefore DENIED. Licensee may apply for an upgrade in status after five years from date of issuance, with showing proper cuase.

SO ORDERED

M. William Boller

As neighboring Niagara County has been issuing unrestricted from the start I was hoping that maybe after the year I could get Erie County to upgrade mine. Not only was I wrong, but now they want us to wait 5 years? For what? Ridiculous. Maybe I'll move to Niagara County, it is closer to work.
    It's just crazy to think that some states still have different kinds of licenses. Soon my state won't require any license at all...so looking at other state laws on CC is like going back in time to a more barbaric era.

The more I visit this forum the more I love my state.

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyMan View Post
    It's just crazy to think that some states still have different kinds of licenses. Soon my state won't require any license at all...so looking at other state laws on CC is like going back in time to a more barbaric era.

I'm with ya, the thing that gets me the most is supposed pro-gun states that may give you the permit, but can't carry in half the places you go. I used to think MA was as worse as it got, but all you have to do is live in a pro town and your good to go. (Most are, outside the cities)

Denied, because a few "robes" believe that one's right to defense of life isn't justifiable everywhere one goes.

That's a sad, disturbing commentary, right there, on the whole "may issue" mentality that dares presume that defense of life has to be justified, or that defense of life in certain places isn't justifiable.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

The state only uses one license, which is Carry and there aren't any restrictions.

The counties are allowed to use restrictions of their own as County Ordinances, not Gun Law. If you violate them it's not a criminal matter, you've violated a county ordinance. Some counties do put their own restrictions on the State Carry Permit, some don't, many of the later allow restrictions to be removed after a period, often a year, altho the OP was not successful in his own attempt, (and, no offense to him, I do know quite a few in our county who do have the restrictions removed after a year).

Anyway, that's how restrictions work in NY State (New York City not included, they have their own Laws)

NB: I would not suggest ignoring county restrictions just because they are ordinances. The Permit Office wouldn't like it and in a crisis if you had to shoot and were violating the restrictions it doesn't make you look real good to start off. You'd look like someone who didn't have a serious regard for legalities. Not the best light to be seen in for the start of an SD investigation.

Thread is a year old. Just sayin'. But the good news is, the OP only has to wait 4 more years before he can reapply for his unrestricted license.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Quote Originally Posted by Snatale42 View Post
    I'm with ya, the thing that gets me the most is supposed pro-gun states that may give you the permit, but can't carry in half the places you go. I used to think MA was as worse as it got, but all you have to do is live in a pro town and your good to go. (Most are, outside the cities)
    Those signs don't carry the force of law in my state so I'm good to go.

No spell-check with Tapatalk, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by mprp View Post
    Thread is a year old.
    My CCW is older than that, what's your point?

No spell-check with Tapatalk, sorry.

@ mprp - I know this thread is rather old. However, this thread came up when I searched 'Erie County Gun Permits' (or something like that). So rather than start a new thread, I bumped this one to the top of the list.

@ detective - thanks for the comments!
    bmcgilvray likes this.

My CCW is older than that, what's your point?
    My point is the last sentence. Go ahead and read it in case you stopped after the first. It's the one that you actually had to delete when you quoted me.

MECM_Ret Understood and didn't mean to imply that you did anything wrong by bringing it up. It's a good idea to do what you did if it's a subject that touches on the original post. And by the way, welcome to the forum.

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

My point is the last sentence.
    Then why say anything other than the last sentence? Why add fluff?

Go ahead and read it in case you stopped after the first. It's the one that you actually had to delete when you quoted me.
    And it took some effort, too, as I'm still getting used to Tapatalk.

MECM_Ret Understood and didn't mean to imply that you did anything wrong by bringing it up. It's a good idea to do what you did if it's a subject that touches on the original post. And by the way, welcome to the forum.
    I imagine I'm not the only person who doesn't look at OP dates before posting. My Bookmark for this site is set to the Active Topics page, and I'm brought to the last page of a thread when I click the Active Topics link. Why would I go out of my way to look at the date on the OP before posting? That's such a weird thing to expect.

I would never have known how old this thread was if you hadn't pointed it out. This is extra information you thought was relevant, information I and possibly others were unaware of and possibly would never have known, which you thought was relevant to the present discussion to then bring it to everyone's attention.

So, please, how does the age of this thread relate to the topic?

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    That's a sad, disturbing commentary, right there, on the whole "may issue" mentality that dares presume that defense of life has to be justified, or that defense of life in certain places isn't justifiable.
    Interestingly, Alabama (my home state), has a "may issue" law as well. However, every single person I know who has applied for an unrestricted permit has gotten one with nothing other than "self defense" as a reason. In fact, we have over 66,000 licensed individuals in my county, so it isn't an issue around here. May issue or not.

Quote Originally Posted by detective View Post

The state only uses one license, which is Carry and there aren't any restrictions.

The counties are allowed to use restrictions of their own as County Ordinances, not Gun Law. If you violate them it's not a criminal matter, you've violated a county ordinance. Some counties do put their own restrictions on the State Carry Permit, some don't, many of the later allow restrictions to be removed after a period, often a year, altho the OP was not successful in his own attempt, (and, no offense to him, I do know quite a few in our county who do have the restrictions removed after a year).

Anyway, that's how restrictions work in NY State (New York City not included, they have their own Laws)

NB: I would not suggest ignoring county restrictions just because they are ordinances. The Permit Office wouldn't like it and in a crisis if you had to shoot and were violating the restrictions it doesn't make you look real good to start off. You'd look like someone who didn't have a serious regard for legalities. Not the best light to be seen in for the start of an SD investigation.
    Well what can I say...more evolved states have 'preemption' built into the code preventing local municipalities from making their own rules. I wish you good luck and hope your state catches up soon.

So, please, how does the age of this thread relate to the topic?
    I was referring to the OP and I believe I even mentioned that. And here you have your answer in bold. I would say that age and time would have quite a bit to do with the topic, which is what we usually refer to as whatever the OP tries to get across in their first post which is what this is below. My only 4 more years comment was a crack at the ridiculous amount of time that the OP has yet to wait. Have a nice day and a great weekend!

SO ORDERED

M. William Boller

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links