Very Interesting Conversation today - Page 2

Very Interesting Conversation today

This is a discussion on Very Interesting Conversation today within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; so, you choose to carry or not perhaps based on where you are going and the perceived level of danger... but detours in your plans ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Very Interesting Conversation today

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    so, you choose to carry or not perhaps based on where you are going and the perceived level of danger...

but detours in your plans may occur or the random chance meeting may happen and--

you enter into the 'meeting' acting a certain way cause you are usually carrying.
    now, suppose the situation escalates and you now have to reach for what you left at home...
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Why are people locking up their guns when they work out? There are methods of carry that will work safely during exercise.

Good conversation though, I've been loving the fact that IN is generally very pro-gun; and even those that aren't, understand it's people not the guns that are the issue.

Glock Certified Armorer

Sounds like you ran into a gun-guy cop (a surprisingly small percentage are gun-guys.) His advice is exactly the same as I would give. My weapon(s) is(are) carried more than my wristwatch. If it is legal to carry in any location, I do. If I see a no firearms sign, I avoid the place if possible.

The safest place for your weapon is on your person. If it is in a decent holster it is not going to go off accidentally/negligently. If it is on you it is not likely to be stolen or handled without your consent.

A belly band at the gym would be ideal for the LC9. No need to put it in a locker.

You never know when or where a BG will decide to be a BG. I would rather be ready & able to deal with it on MY terms rather than on theirs. You think a BG goes to bad neighborhoods to steal and cause issues? Think again, they go to YOUR neighborhood...
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    Think like the old sheriff who was asked if he was expecting trouble when he attended a social function wearing his pistol. His reply was something like, "No if I was expecting trouble I would have brought my rifle". The handgun is for when you don't expect any trouble but are prepared if there is any.

Even as a new carry, I feel weird to not have it with me when I go out to eat. I will usually have 1 or 2 beers with my meal and thats a no no for Oklahoma carry.

tts
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    I carry everyday, everywhere, that I can legally carry. Luckily my employer knows I carry and has no problem with me carrying when on the clock. Even while at home I carry, or have a gun readily at hand. As is often said here, "Anytime, anyplace" I'd add to that, "When you least expect it".
    +1 This!

Quote Originally Posted by odeaar View Post
    Interesting post Vinixd, I like how the LEO supported personal carry all the time. I too feel safer when I carry, but I have also thought about how a gun is not always the answer for a minor altercation/scenerio when your life is NOT in "danger". I have been training lately in Krav Maga for the times when personal safety didn't require a gun, ie: when approached by the loud-mouthed drunk guy outside a restaurant. He might be unarmed and brandishing your weapon can easily been seen as overly aggressive. I also like the idea of being about to protect the gun and using other means to de-escalate the situation before the need arises to possibly end a life. It is understandable that every responsible CCP holder would like to never have to use their gun, you also have to protect it so that it can never be used against you. Sometimes the macho bravado of "I'd just whip his ass" needs to be humbly evaluated from time-to-time again.
    Odeaar, I agree that a gun is not the answer to small/minor altercations. At 47 I have seen the drunkards and loud mouths... I just stay away and stay quite... usually it will pass in short order.
    Also Zonker stated "you needed a cop to tell you to carry all the time?" LOLOL! I don't need anyone telling me to carry all of the time or anytime... lol rather it was nice to talk with someone face to face rather then over a internet forum who felt strongly about carrying. It was nice timing in having me reexamine why I CCP and carry. Also I look forward to carrying with a LC9 being a smaller weapon and less bulky. One nice thing that has come out of this is me looking for additional ways to holster and carry.

One officer told me one day, I'm glad to see people carrying and if I"m ever in trouble.... I hope there are alot of you around.

Kind a reverse twist to this.
    zonker1986 likes this.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    One officer told me one day, I'm glad to see people carrying and if I"m ever in trouble.... I hope there are alot of you around.

Kind a reverse twist to this.
    That is perfect!!! Very Nice Twist!

tts
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinixd View Post
    That is perfect!!! Very Nice Twist!
    That makes me smile!

Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    My gym's signs (and the signed paper) have the weight of law. I hate these exclusionary laws and signs, but if I ignore them, what makes me any different from the bad guys?
    I would never advocate breaking the law, but in answer to your question. The difference is the lack of a victim. Bad guys by definition hurt people and/or take their property.

To me violating a "regulation" doesn't carry the same moral weight.
    adric22 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by maat View Post
    Even as a new carry, I feel weird to not have it with me when I go out to eat. I will usually have 1 or 2 beers with my meal and thats a no no for Oklahoma carry.
    Choices, Chocies, Choices: Do I need that beer with my dinner or do I need to protect my love ones. No Judgement just stating facts.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    For my .02 cents, things always happen when you don't expect it , where you don't expect it, and in a manner you don't expect it. Remember , there is someone out there already doing time for murder because they killed someone for $20 in a robbery.

Read this. A cop was standing near the victim

EarthLink - U.S. News

Vinixd‎ Your cop friend was exactly right.
    Violence isn't always the answer, but when it is the answer, it is often the only answer.
    War to the knife, knife to the hilt.

There are three kinds of people, sheep, sheepdogs, and wolves. If you don't understand this, you're a sheep.

Are you a turtle?

Quote Originally Posted by Beans View Post
    Choices, Chocies, Choices: Do I need that beer with my dinner or do I need to protect my love ones. No Judgement just stating facts.
    I wonder if the Founders considered adding: "the right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed, unless you plan to have one or two beer". They must be rolling in their graves.

The only time I drink is when I am out to eat or playing golf. I'll take my chances.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links