Very Interesting Conversation today

This is a discussion on Very Interesting Conversation today within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I go into my gym today and had conversation with a guy who I had seen many times over and had spoke in passing. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Very Interesting Conversation today

Very Interesting Conversation today

So I go into my gym today and had conversation with a guy who I had seen many times over and had spoke in passing. Today he comes in officer uniform. I did not know he was a cop. So I ask him if he knows of a range close by. I explained the range I have been going to was a bit of a drive.

We start discussing different ranges and he asks if I have my carry permit and what I carry. I explain that I have held my permit for just over a year and am looking at a LC9 as additional carry because while I like my XD it I was thinking of having a weapon that is smaller and how it might work better in some instances. He looks dead in my eyes and says so seriously "if you have that carry permit you don't leave your house without your weapon! If is like your pants...when they come on so does your weapon... You carry all the time... to your work if you are able and if not then you carry as far as you can and place your weapon in the same place every time so you know exactly where it is and where to reach for it if you need it."

The conversation continued and many good points were brought out. I wished I could have talked longer but I had someone waiting on me and had to end the conversation short. We talked about going to the range often and put 100-200 rounds through my weapon. On and on. I guess my point in posting this is while I carry up to now I have not made it a point to carry all the time. However, since having that talk today I have been seriously thinking about why I have not carried AMAP.

After all I feel better and know that I am safer when I carry. I tend to be more aware of my surroundings etc etc! I believe this was a good conversation for me as I reexamined why I have my carry permit to begin with. I could go on and on but I think you see where I am going with this.

Thanks for reading as I just wanted to post my experience today.
    Last edited by JD; October 24th, 2011 at 09:59 AM.
    Firearm.Fan.Girl likes this.

2. Remove Ads

For my .02 cents, things always happen when you don't expect it , where you don't expect it, and in a manner you don't expect it. Remember , there is someone out there already doing time for murder because they killed someone for $20 in a robbery.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

VIP Member
    I carry everyday, everywhere, that I can legally carry. Luckily my employer knows I carry and has no problem with me carrying when on the clock. Even while at home I carry, or have a gun readily at hand. As is often said here, "Anytime, anyplace" I'd add to that, "When you least expect it".
    tts likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

My girlfriend's SiL, a LEO, told me that if I were going to date his MiL, I would have to get my CCP, and carry always and everywhere legal - PERIOD. I did as the officer instructed. :)

He told me of stopping a driver with a CCP that was NOT currently carrying. He jumped all over the guy, saying he should ALWAYS carry - you earned the right - and "I CANT BE EVERYWHERE!"
    joker1, 357and40, Eagleks and 1 others like this.
    Sig Sauer P229 SCT 9mm
    CrossBreed Super Tuck
    Glock 27
    Galco IWB
    SureFire E2D

Funny, my gym made me sign a paper acknowledging I cannot carry into the gym. The Fairfax County, VA cops can also no longer carry into the gym because some crooks noticed the cops all going to this one gym, and simply went in and jacked the cops' lockers for guns while thery were working out. The county LEOs lost so many guns to the criminal element, they had to ban the practice.

My gym's signs (and the signed paper) have the weight of law. I hate these exclusionary laws and signs, but if I ignore them, what makes me any different from the bad guys?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    Funny, my gym made me sign a paper acknowledging I cannot carry into the gym. The Fairfax County, VA cops can also no longer carry into the gym because some crooks noticed the cops all going to this one gym, and simply went in and jacked the cops' lockers for guns while thery were working out. The county LEOs lost so many guns to the criminal element, they had to ban the practice.

My gym's signs (and the signed paper) have the weight of law. I hate these exclusionary laws and signs, but if I ignore them, what makes me any different from the bad guys?
    You demonstrate much more unconditional loyalty to your gym than I would. Differences between the bad guys and me never presents me with ethical dilemmas.

I hate these exclusionary laws and signs, but if I ignore them, what makes me any different from the bad guys?
    There is a world of difference between a good man choosing not to recognize a bad law, and what the "bad guys" are doing.

Interesting post Vinixd, I like how the LEO supported personal carry all the time. I too feel safer when I carry, but I have also thought about how a gun is not always the answer for a minor altercation/scenerio when your life is NOT in "danger". I have been training lately in Krav Maga for the times when personal safety didn't require a gun, ie: when approached by the loud-mouthed drunk guy outside a restaurant. He might be unarmed and brandishing your weapon can easily been seen as overly aggressive. I also like the idea of being about to protect the gun and using other means to de-escalate the situation before the need arises to possibly end a life. It is understandable that every responsible CCP holder would like to never have to use their gun, you also have to protect it so that it can never be used against you. Sometimes the macho bravado of "I'd just whip his ass" needs to be humbly evaluated from time-to-time again.
    Carry: Sig P238
    Home: Stoeger Couger 8000F 9mm

you needed a cop to tell you to carry all the time? I don't think anyone needs the stamp of approval from LEO to know its a good idea to carry 100% of the time 24/7, 365. All you have to do is hang out on this forum for a while, and that message comes through loud and clear.....

or you could just watch the news a couple of nights a week....if that doesn't scare the crap out of you, nothing will.

Also, any gym that forbids my carrying of a weapon while working out just lost a member. Yeah, I feel that strongly about it.

anyone remeber the LA Fitness shooting a couple of years ago?

'Hell-Bent' Shooter Used 3 Guns In LA Fitness Rampage - Pittsburgh News Story - WTAE Pittsburgh
    Mike1956 likes this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinixd View Post
    The conversation continued and many good points were brought out. I wished I could have talked longer but I had someone waiting on me and had to end the conversation short. We talked about going to the range often and put 100-200 rounds through my weapon. On and on. I guess my point in posting this is while I carry up to now I have not made it a point to carry all the time.
    When I first got my carry permit back in 1996, I did not carry all of the time. Part of the reason was I had only one gun, it was a large gun, and I really didn't know how to conceal it well and comfortably. I was also scared of any kind of printing. So for years I would only carry when it was convenient, or when going somewhere I felt was less safe than the usual day-to-day stuff.

However, a few years ago I decided to buy a second, smaller gun. Once I realized how much easier it was to wear I realized there was really no excuse not to carry ALL OF THE TIME. Since then I've also discovered new ways to carry the larger gun, albiet with a bit of printing. So now I take some sort of gun everywhere I go, even to church.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

There was a story awhile back where 2 guys were leaving a recording studio for Christian music IIRC, they were robbed and killed.The one guys family asked the Cops if they found one of the victims gun because he always carried,and if his gun wasn't there then the Bad Guy must of taken it.
    Later on when the family went to his apartment to take care of things they found his gun,he apparently left the apartment without it,the one time in his life he really needed it and he didn't have it
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Wait, I thought Virginia's signs had the same legal weight as any other "no shirt no service" type signs--i.e., if caught, you have to leave, and if you don't, it's just a trespassing charge. Well, actually, based on reading the wording of the law, I can't quite convince myself of this, but that seems to be the conventional interpretation of the VA law online.

Nice thread

I do indeed carry daily and have not left front door with out one in pocket ( I carry pocket )

I just bought a new LC9 this month .

I really like this firearm .

I also carry lighter arms ( .380 , .32 ,442 )

I like them all they all have been flawless also I have 200 rounds thre the Lc9 ( flawless also )

Glad to see LEO pro .
    Last edited by Hot Wing; October 24th, 2011 at 05:03 PM.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    It takes all of 2 seconds to break into LA Fitness's lockers and steal guns, etc. from civies and LEOs alike, as demontrated here in my innocent (?) little town.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Im glad you had your eye opener with a friendly. Its good advise to always carry.....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links