Supplies to Treat Gunshot Wounds On Hand? - Page 4

Supplies to Treat Gunshot Wounds On Hand?

This is a discussion on Supplies to Treat Gunshot Wounds On Hand? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Double Post...

View Poll Results: Supplies and Skills

Voters
86. You may not vote on this poll
  • I do not have any gunshot wound/trauma (GSW) supplies or the skills to use them.

30 34.88%
  • I have at least basic GSW supplies (tourniquet, clotting agent) but no knowledge of their use.

1 1.16%
  • I have at least basic GSW supplies (tourniquet, clotting agent) and basic knowledge on their use but no advanced training.

29 33.72%
  • I have at least basic GSW supplies (tourniquet, clotting agent) and professional training in their use.

11 12.79%
  • I have above and beyond the basic trauma supplies (please elaborate) and no professional training in their use.

0 0%
  • I have above and beyond the basic trauma supplies (please elaborate) and professional training in their use.

3 3.49%
  • I have all of the supplies, the training to use them and have used them in a occupational or volunteer basis.

12 13.95%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Supplies to Treat Gunshot Wounds On Hand?

Sponsor
    Double Post

Great thread! After getting a weapon for home defense I bought some 4x4 gauze pads, antiseptic/antimicrobial liquid, and some stretchy wrap to keep at home. I don't take it with me anywhere. I have no training in trauma care.
    The info on this thread gives me a place to start building a real kit. Thanks, all.
    Skillet Hot!

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SHTFGearLLC View Post
    To be honest, it actually makes me feel a little irresponsible for all of the times I've gone to a civilian range and not had GSW supplies on hand. Thanks Limatunes for bringing this to my attention!

The needle, for Tension Pneumothorax, is for the purpose of releasing pressure in the chest cavity. Pressure there will force a lung to collapse, or at least make breathing difficult. There are a lot of products on the market that are designed to seal a sucking chest wound. I've been told by a number of medics in my unit that they typically suck. (generally they are comprised of a self adhesive plastic film with a one way valve). They suggest using squares cut from an MRE bag and lots of tape! I'd be interested to hear your opinion SkySoldier29.

Thanks again
    Clay
    You can use pretty much any type of plastic to seal a sucking chest wound. The chest seals work great IMO but you do need to ensure that you clean the blood away or it won't stick well. I normally stage two make shift chest seals on my trauma bag using some sort of decently heavy gauge plastic and some 100 mph tape "OD green duct tape for the non military types". I've used the outer MRE bags before and they work just fine. Just make sure you check for an exit hole and seal it as well.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by SHTFGearLLC View Post
    To be honest, it actually makes me feel a little irresponsible for all of the times I've gone to a civilian range and not had GSW supplies on hand. Thanks Limatunes for bringing this to my attention!
    I know what you mean. This has been on my list of things to do for over a year and I just kept putting it off and putting it off until I couldn't reasonably do it anymore.

Now I feel much more responsible..lol.

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    Oh boy.. lol.. I did some shopping around and got some good deals on a few things through my instructor friend.

The following was the "big stuff" I needed:
    2 CAT tourniquets
    4 Israeli bandages
    2 QuikClot gauze rolls
    1 14 gauge needle
    Lima,

How the heck did you get an RX for a 14 gauge catheter set? Those are usually used for IVs and I'm pretty sure that you need an RX to have them. Second if one does not know how to do a chest needle decompression I wouldn't suggest that you try it. If you don't stick it in the right place you could lacerate the lung. Even better do it on the wrong side and comprise the good lung.

This should be in your GSW kit as well. For those times you just can't get a vein.

Bone Injection Gun | Emergency Medical Products

Quote Originally Posted by skysoldier29 View Post
    Lima,

How the heck did you get an RX for a 14 gauge catheter set? Those are usually used for IVs and I'm pretty sure that you need an RX to have them. Second if one does not know how to do a chest needle decompression I wouldn't suggest that you try it. If you don't stick it in the right place you could lacerate the lung. Even better do it on the wrong side and comprise the good lung.
    Rx? Local Farm and Fleet store's got 'em...
    limatunes likes this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Senior Moderator
    Lima,

I just ordered it and there was nothing saying I needed a Rx.

And believe you me, I would never try to use something like that without knowing what I was doing. I got it so that I have it when I do learn how to use it or for someone who may know how to use it but doesn't have one available.

This should be in your GSW kit as well. For those times you just can't get a vein.

Bone Injection Gun | Emergency Medical Products
    Ahhhh.. intraosseous... *shivers*

My mom and I had a good talk about that yesterday. She's a registered nurse and has had to do that a few times and says it freaks her out every time. Something about drilling through bone is just kind of... creepy.

Since I do not have any experience/training in starting IVs I did not get any kind of fluid bags or anything (those I think you DO need a Rx for???) which means I probably won't be doing any IO injections either.

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    Rx? Local Farm and Fleet store's got 'em...
    I just pulled out my IV sets and all the needles stated by RX only. They are the same needles I would use for a chest needle decompression.

Lima,

Can you send me the link to where you ordered the needles. All the sites I searched say that they will only sell to someone with an RX.

Thanks for the "like" Lima... you know though, it's true... You need med equip. and some drugs, you can get 'em at the nearest local farm store... inject-able antibiotics... needles and syringes. Not bad to know if you are putting together a SHTF shelter, or maybe even a BOB or a GHB.

Wouldn't do that? wouldn't use animal meds on your own self? Well, in a life or death scenario (SHTF seriously) You'd do it and LIKE it... As an example, I've had a bone infection... you don't want that to happen without medical attention...

Another little known factoid... treat your vet techs kindly... in a national emergency, they are considered fully capable of nursing humans as well... And can legally in a declared emergency...
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Lima,

You also forgot the NPAs just in case someone gets their face blowing off due to the Glock KABOOM.

Nasopharyngeal Airway - YouTube.

Senior Moderator
    Chinook Medical Gear, Inc - Your Source for Medical Kits, Tactical Combat Casualty Care Items, Emergency First Aid Supplies including hemostatic, bandages, personal protection, iv supplies, tourniquets, evacuation and more!

I just looked it up and apparently in some states you do have to have a Rx for needles but in some you don't. Maybe they just saw my shipping state was not a Rx-needed state. I haven't gotten it yet so maybe I'll end up with a phone call asking me for my Rx and that would be that though I did get my order confirmation for it.. hmmmm.

I just pulled out my IV sets and all the needles stated by RX only. They are the same needles I would use for a chest needle decompression.
    Probably get you a trocar if you need one for "cow bloat."
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    Thanks for the "like" Lima... you know though, it's true... You need med equip. and some drugs, you can get 'em at the nearest local farm store... inject-able antibiotics... needles and syringes. Not bad to know if you are putting together a SHTF shelter, or maybe even a BOB or a GHB.

Wouldn't do that? wouldn't use animal meds on your own self? Well, in a life or death scenario (SHTF seriously) You'd do it and LIKE it... As an example, I've had a bone infection... you don't want that to happen without medical attention...

Another little known factoid... treat your vet techs kindly... in a national emergency, they are considered fully capable of nursing humans as well... And can legally in a declared emergency...
    Maybe it's just that we live in such a farm-country kind of a state with lots of farm animals needing attention from their owners.

And I wouldn't hesitate to use animal supplies on myself if my life were on the line (or the life of someone I loved)... sometimes the animals are cleaner than we are!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links