What to do in those gun-free zones?

This is a discussion on What to do in those gun-free zones? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I had a parent-teacher conference yesterday. I actually nearly forgot about the stupid gun-free zone and started to get out of my car while armed, ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: What to do in those gun-free zones?

What to do in those gun-free zones?

I had a parent-teacher conference yesterday. I actually nearly forgot about the stupid gun-free zone and started to get out of my car while armed, then had to get back in and disarm.

Am I the only one in the world who translates that sign on the front door of the school as "victim zone" instead of "gun free zone?" I couldn't help as I walked down the halls of the school towards my daughters classroom but to think about Columbine or Virginia tech and what the heck I'd do if a madman came in and started killing people. In fact, it makes me nervous leaving my daughter there every day where there is nobody who can protect her. Fortunately it is an elementary school and I don't think it is as likely to be targeted as a high-school, college, or even a middle-school.

But one of the things I started wondering is whether or not I could carry pepper spray into the school. I've trying googling for the answer but so far have not come up with any conclusive answer. While I believe pepper spray would be almost useless against a columbine style of attack, it would at least work for a less serious type of attack. I also wondered about Tasers. Are those technically considered a gun? I don't even own one, but might be tempted to buy one if I thought it would be legal to take into gun-free zones.
    tts likes this.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

2. Remove Ads

Disarm and go about your business. Can't be everywhere all the time, life happens. Don't get me wrong, I want to protect my loved ones and ensure they live to be triple digits, but things just happen in life that we have no control over.

Can't live in a bubble...

VIP Member
    Try taking a more opportunistic view of your environment. I see weapons everywhere I go.

VIP Member
    Take it from someone who is forced to go without a firearm for almost half of every day (work). YOU are the weapon, the firearm is just a tool. As WHEC724 said, be opportunistic. Heck, even a rolled up magazine makes a decent contact weapon. A belt with a large metal buckle can extend your reach. Lots of different things are handy to all of us everyday. You just have to be creative and think about it in advance.

As far as spray on school grounds, you may need to get a local clarification. Just don't ask the school! You know what they will say.
    9MMare and joker1 like this.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

eb
    It depends on what the gun free zone is. If its a government building or other location that is mandated by the state, I usually won't carry there despite my better judgement because I don't want to lose my permit. If its anywhere else, I ignore the sign. Gun free zones are dreamed up by retards.

The way I look at it, the criminal that is intent on doing evil things is going to ignore the sign and gives a “rats axx” what the sign says. I know I am not going to shoot anyone and carry strictly for self defense. I would carry it anyways; I would rather have it with me then wish I had it if the need arose. Many years I ago before the day of metal detectors in the courthouses, I was handling a hearing and had an expect witness to testify about property values. On the way into the courtroom he leans over and said he forgot he had a gun in his boot. I asked are you going to shoot the judge, he said no, I said don’t worry about it. Times were simpler back then.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but, isn't it illegal to leave the gun unattended in a car on public school grounds in Texas?
    A 1911 is Not an obsession, it's simply a recognition that it's THE Gun. :-) All others are runner ups. And hey, if all else fails, aim for the nose and fling it to knock out your foe. Let's see y'all do that with a kel-Tec. ;-)

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Just yesterday (Oct 24th 2011) they had a school shooting here in NC. All the laws, all the restrictions, metal detectors, etc, did nothing to prevent it. Their only response, go on "lock down". Lock yourself in a room and start chanting: "please don't see me". Prohibitions aren't force fields, they don't stop anybody. I know, I am preaching to the choir. In 40 years time, I have never had an assault charge or committed any other form of violent crime. I am certainly not going to start now, just because I choose to carry a gun.

Edit: here in NC it is even illegal to leave it in your car, parked on school property.
    Richard58 likes this.

Check with your local gun rights organizations. In some states, those signs do not apply to concealed license holders. In those states, it is known as firearm preemption law.

In Oregon law, where I live, license holders may carry in public buildings, schools, etc., but employees (teachers) may be prevented from carrying even with a permit. Not prevented by law, but by school employee policy.
    Sui juris
    U.S. Navy Veteran '65-'69
    Retired Police Detective '71 - '01
    LEOSA Certified
    NRA Life Member / SAF Member
    U.S. Constitution (c) 1791, All Rights Reserved.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoner View Post
    The way I look at it, the criminal that is intent on doing evil things is going to ignore the sign and gives a “rats axx” what the sign says. I know I am not going to shoot anyone and carry strictly for self defense. I would carry it anyways; I would rather have it with me then wish I had it if the need arose. Many years I ago before the day of metal detectors in the courthouses, I was handling a hearing and had an expect witness to testify about property values. On the way into the courtroom he leans over and said he forgot he had a gun in his boot. I asked are you going to shoot the judge, he said no, I said don’t worry about it. Times were simpler back then.
    You know, that raises an interesting question. Lets say you were a teacher, lunchroom worker, janitor, etc.. And you worked at Columbine and had a gun (illegally) with you on the day the crazy kids came in killing people. When I say illegally, I refer only to the fact that it is a federal gun-free-zone, not because you were a felon or something like that. Now lets say the crazy kids come in and start killing people and half-way through you pull out your gun and put an end to the madness. OK, so it would be hard for anyone to debate that you saved countless lives. Will you still be prosecuted for having a gun in a federal-gun-free zone?
    Richard58 likes this.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nightsonge View Post
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but, isn't it illegal to leave the gun unattended in a car on public school grounds in Texas?
    I believe its "unsecured" locked vehicle and not "unattended".

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    You know, that raises an interesting question. Lets say you were a teacher, lunchroom worker, janitor, etc.. And you worked at Columbine and had a gun (illegally) with you on the day the crazy kids came in killing people. When I say illegally, I refer only to the fact that it is a federal gun-free-zone, not because you were a felon or something like that. Now lets say the crazy kids come in and start killing people and half-way through you pull out your gun and put an end to the madness. OK, so it would be hard for anyone to debate that you saved countless lives. Will you still be prosecuted for having a gun in a federal-gun-free zone?
    I don't know. In this country, it wouldn't surprise me, I am sorry to say. I am also sorry to say that if I were in the situation you describe, I doubt I would do anything to try and stop it, unless it came down to saving my own life, for this very reason.

tts
    Quote Originally Posted by ErnieNWillis View Post
    I believe its "unsecured" locked vehicle and not "unattended".
    +1 This!

Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    I had a parent-teacher conference yesterday. I actually nearly forgot about the stupid gun-free zone and started to get out of my car while armed, then had to get back in and disarm. Am I the only one in the world who translates that sign on the front door of the school as "victim zone" instead of "gun free zone?" I couldn't help as I walked down the halls of the school towards my daughters classroom but to think about Columbine or Virginia tech and what the heck I'd do if a madman came in and started killing people. In fact, it makes me nervous leaving my daughter there every day where there is nobody who can protect her. Fortunately it is an elementary school and I don't think it is as likely to be targeted as a high-school, college, or even a middle-school. But one of the things I started wondering is whether or not I could carry pepper spray into the school. I've trying googling for the answer but so far have not come up with any conclusive answer. While I believe pepper spray would be almost useless against a columbine style of attack, it would at least work for a less serious type of attack. I also wondered about Tasers. Are those technically considered a gun? I don't even own one, but might be tempted to buy one if I thought it would be legal to take into gun-free zones.
    "Technically" the Federal GFZ is 1000 feet from the school/institution's property line. Lets hope this is changed before it is enforced.
    Richard58 likes this.
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(
    Where is the wisdom that we have lost in knowledge?" T.S. Elliot

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    I look at the Gun Free Zone signs and they look surprisingly similar to the Drug Free Zone signs that have absolutely no effect on drug dealing in schools. School Administrators aren't any smarter than Congressmen.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links