What is alcohol?

This is a discussion on What is alcohol? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Today I was in a restaurant carrying concealed and I had a Beck's non-alcoholic beer. It is illegal in VA to drink alcoholic beverages while ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: What is alcohol?

What is alcohol?

Today I was in a restaurant carrying concealed and I had a Beck's non-alcoholic beer. It is illegal in VA to drink alcoholic beverages while carrying in a restaurant. So, my neighbor's 14 year old daughter wanted to taste it and get one but we weren't sure if she legally could. Hmmm. Now, I'm thinking is this non-alcoholic beer, which has .5% alcohol in it, governed by the ABC and am I illegal drinking it while carrying? We asked the bartender about the age limit and he said that even though it says non-alcoholic it really isn't and can't be sold to minors. Now, I'm in a panic thinking if I get caught I lose my treasured CHP!!!
    Do you know VA's law on this and do other states have any issues with non-alcoholic beer?!!!!
    God bless.
    Carpe Diem
    "Winter Is Coming"

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    What is alcohol? The stuff that dreams are made of....

Even non-alcoholic beers contain some alcohol as you well know. if in doubt--dump it out!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

You're probably going to find that it's a grey area. Technically, it has alcohol in it although you would probably have to drink a couple of cases to register .08 In my town, Food City will card you if you buy it and Walmart won't. Personally, if I were carrying, I wouldn't chance it. From any distance, it's going to look like you're drinking with your meal. If I'm going to give the appearance of drinking, I'll just go ahead and have a beer with the meal, keep the gun concealed, and hope I don't stumble and fall walking out of the restaurant.
    Firearm.Fan.Girl and smolck like this.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

I think it falls within the spirit of the law and should be just fine! Drink up!!!
    Firearm.Fan.Girl likes this.

VIP Member
    Well, by law I guess you are in violation. However if you use one of the leading mouthwash's you stand a better chance of becoming intoxicated. From Answers.com:

Mouthwash contain more alcohol than wine. It contain 6.6% to 26.9% alcohol. A detail content of alcohol in mouthwash are as below:
    Listerine 26.9%
    Scope 18.9%
    Signal 14.5%
    Cepacol 14.0%
    Listermint 6.6%

Read more: What is the Alcohol content in mouthwash
    I don't think I'd want to be a test case.

Another option for when out and want your Beck's non-alcoholic beer. Switch to open carry. No restriction on drinking when your open carrying, just concealed.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Well, by law I guess you are in violation. However if you use one of the leading mouthwash's you stand a better chance of becoming intoxicated. From Answers.com:

I don't think I'd want to be a test case.

Another option for when out and want your Beck's non-alcoholic beer. Switch to open carry. No restriction on drinking when your open carrying, just concealed.
    Good point. But, oh, my! So, now I'd have to worry about WWAG!!!!!! I've never heard of a WWAG incident and, like you said, I don't think I'd want to be a test case for that one either! I didn't know that open carry is OK when drinking in VA. I think my friends would be shocked, shocked I tell ya, if they saw me switch to OC. Then, I'd be arrested for brandishing when some anti-gunner misinterprets the switch.
    I'll probably just lay off the n-a "beer" and drink water. I will not not carry just to drink a beer! Life is too precious.
    Carpe Diem
    "Winter Is Coming"

I dring beer all the time! Root and Birch!
    Firearm.Fan.Girl and baren like this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

VIP Member
    Perception counts. This is really about how others might see and interpret what is going on. If you don't want someone to think you are drinking, don't drink something from a container made to look similar to one containing the real deal.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    I wouldn't risk it. It's not worth it.

VIP Member
    Interesting post I always thought non-alcoholic beers such as O’Doul’s and others contained 0.0% alcohol, I stand corrected. If you read the label it is amazing how many OTC products contain alcohol and are even stronger than beer or wine.

ALCOHOL CONTENT IN OVER THE COUN
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    WWAG??? Weirdo with a gun?
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

VIP Member
    Any of the non alchoholic beers are exactly that, not considered alcoholic in content.

Alcohol is not authorized in theater but I can go to the chow hall and get Odoul's or any number of fake beers and consume them while carrying a firearm or while on a mission. I dont think you have anything to worry about.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Woman With A Gun. But, I have also been called weird at times.

Quote Originally Posted by INccwchris View Post
    WWAG??? Weirdo with a gun?
    baren likes this.
    Carpe Diem
    "Winter Is Coming"

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    In SC it is not a question of what you drink in a restaurant it is just the fact that the restaurant serves alcoholic beverages that will prohibit you from being CC

In NC ANY alcohol however slight in your blood while concealed carrying is a violation of statute. If you drink enough of the "non-alcoholic" beer to register anything on the LEs test you are toast.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links