Need ammo... For a debate with the wife! - Page 2

Need ammo... For a debate with the wife!

This is a discussion on Need ammo... For a debate with the wife! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Eaglebeak You have a very sound reason for being armed at home and while out and about in the DFW area because, ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Need ammo... For a debate with the wife!

Quote Originally Posted by Eaglebeak View Post
    You have a very sound reason for being armed at home and while out and about in the DFW area because, in just a few short miles, you can drive through Beverly Hills, Sioux City, Oakland, Martha's Vineyard, Harlem, Tijuana, and Baghdad where some of the best and worst of people and neighborhoods can quickly change within a few blocks of each other.

You also have a very difficult task in trying to be prepared when there is the constant worry of children running amock in the house. Keeping a firearm unloaded and locked away is akin to keeping your seat belts, motorcycle helmet, or parachute locked away because, if you're not wearing them at the time you need them, then you may as well not have them at all.

Your only "ammo" to use with the wife will be to draw upon an equal analogy of something she uses daily or carries around that would be extremely dangerous in a kid's hands (blow-dryer left plugged in, kitchen knives, toxic cleaning supplies, hair dye, etc.) or something that would be terribly embarrassing/humiliating (I'll leave that up to you) if the kids ever found it or saw it - and ask if she would ever "forget" to secure or hide whatever it may be.

Check these little goodies out for a "biometrics pistol safe"

Safes: Fire Proof, Burglary, Wall, Drop, Gun & Floor Safes or Door Locks For Home & Office | BUYaSafe.com

They will keep a handgun (loaded and ready for action) in a small safe that takes only the swipe of your finger across the "reader" to instantly open - yet be totally impervious to opening by anyone else (kids, wife, dog, or burglar).

Good luck
    I have this Barska safe beside my bed, with a loaded 357 magnum inside. I can have the gun in my hand in about 3 seconds. The burglar alarm will give me more lead time than that before a bad guy can make it to our bedroom.

Senior Moderator
    Let me give you a little tip on us women..... we respond a lot better to your ideas when we truly believe you are listening to us and our concerns and addressing them.

If you go marching to her with nothing but demands and arguments you are going to get a brick wall in response and she's likely not going to budge at all.

On the other hand, if you approach her in a manner that suggests not only understanding but compromise you might be surprised at how much she's willing to give because she'll trust you have listened to her.

Sit down with her and do nothing but ask questions.

"What are your reservations about getting a gun?
    Would it ease your mind at all if I got a safe?
    What are your reservations about getting a carry permit?
    Would it ease your mind if we took a class together?
    Would you be okay letting the kids take a class or letting them watch this gun-education video?"

If you do nothing but ask questions you are forcing her to come up with conclusions on her own and not forcing any of your opinions on her. A masterful "question-asker" can guide the conversation to a happy conclusion and make it seem as though it was the other person's idea all along.

JD is GREAT at this....
    "Sweety, what do you think of this Les Baer? Do you know how much they retail for? This is a really good deal then, huh?"

I'm putty in his hands.

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    Let me give you a little tip on us women..... we respond a lot better to your ideas when we truly believe you are listening to us and our concerns and addressing them.
    You may even find out that you will be "getting" allot more than just a gun.

^^^^^^^^^^^
    Listen to the lady.

Then, listen to your own...

Doing something that is completely against the grain is difficult, down right HARD.

Sure you can "be the man of the family" and it might work... and if you are married to a totally subservient female with no self esteem, she'll be "fine, Just FINE" with it. And if she's not; why, you can just "tune her up" a bit.

Now that may seem crude and snide, but FORCING your way on her is just a few VERY short steps from the above abuse.

This is gonna be really tough. Especially with no "personal triggers" available (which I mentioned before).

Lima is right... Ask questions, ask a lot of questions... You can pull a "Dr.Phil" on her, but you had better be sincere...

What's a "Dr. Phil?"

Sit down with her... directly across from her... make sure she's comfortable. Take her hands in yours. Look her in the eye.

Tell her exactly how it would devastate you if something were to happen to her or the children and you could have done something to stop it. Tell her that the safety and security of the family is of the most importance. The only things you have worth having are love, family, home. Tell her that, as a man you really feel compelled to protect that at any cost, even your own life.

It's how we are wired... Men are usually defined by their jobs... and they are protective of their families (just in a different way than women are).

Tell her you'd really like her to help you do what you feel is naturally your job, in fact, you need her to help you. Explain to her that to have a gun locked in a safe seems to be more dangerous to the family than having one available when it's needed. (I've said this before in a similar vein) You don't lock up the fire extinguisher do you? (And by god, you better have a fire extinguisher (and working/tested smoke detectors), or you'll have a hard time convincing her of all this "safety mindedness.")

For most women, actions speak louder than words... get concerned, act concerned, about protecting the family. If all you can have is a gun in a safe... then you better have alarms on the doors and windows to give you time to get to, load and bring your gun into the picture...

You get the training, and let her know you are doing it... and let her know you want to make sure you do things right. Let her know every time you do something that concerns the safety of the family.... "Honey, I want to put up walkway lights, so we can see better when we come home in the dark.." same with motion sensing lights, same with the camera for the front and rear door. It's all about safety for the family.

I'd better stop now... if you don't get the picture, you won't.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post

If you go marching to her with nothing but demands and arguments you are going to get a brick wall in response and she's likely not going to budge at all.

On the other hand, if you approach her in a manner that suggests not only understanding but compromise you might be surprised at how much she's willing to give because she'll trust you have listened to her.

Sit down with her and do nothing but ask questions.

"What are your reservations about getting a gun?
    Would it ease your mind at all if I got a safe?
    What are your reservations about getting a carry permit?
    Would it ease your mind if we took a class together?
    Would you be okay letting the kids take a class or letting them watch this gun-education video?"

If you do nothing but ask questions you are forcing her to come up with conclusions on her own and not forcing any of your opinions on her. A masterful "question-asker" can guide the conversation to a happy conclusion and make it seem as though it was the other person's idea all along.

JD is GREAT at this....
    "Sweety, what do you think of this Les Baer? Do you know how much they retail for? This is a really good deal then, huh?"

I'm putty in his hands.
    Thanks Lima - it's nice to have an "interpreter"!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsnroses View Post
    You may even find out that you will be "getting" allot more than just a gun.
    You mean like hot home cooked meals, instead of dried out burgers from McDonald's??
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links