Which gun for a trip to Houston?

This is a discussion on Which gun for a trip to Houston? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; We're about to be taking a trip to Houston and I'm having a bit of trouble deciding which gun to take. May sound silly, but ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Which gun for a trip to Houston?

Which gun for a trip to Houston?

We're about to be taking a trip to Houston and I'm having a bit of trouble deciding which gun to take. May sound silly, but I've never really considered it before. The last few trips I took were out of the country so I couldn't carry anyway. Any trips before that I only had 1 carry gun so there was no choice to be made.

The main thing to choose from this time would be between larger gun with higher capacity, or smaller gun that is easier and more comfortable to conceal. And no (before somebody suggests) I don't want to bring both. We are going to be driving so we'll be in the car a lot but we'll be out and about in unfamiliar territory in Houston. I'm sort of afraid to be printing a lot in an unfamiliar area. On the other hand, I'd hate to be out in the middle of nowhere somewhere on I45 and have a problem that requires a firearm, and only have a little sub-compact. I'm sure the wife will be bringing her sub-compact as that is about all she ever carries these days.

By the way, one of the things we plan to do is take our daughter to the Johnson Space Center. I have been there but it was 10 years ago. I can't remember if they prohibit concealed carry or not. Does anyone know? I haven't been able to find a good answer and I'd like to know before hand, rather than walking up to the front door and being greeted by metal detectors or something. Does anyone know first hand?
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    I'd bring the one that I am most likely to carry all the time, given my activities and dress code.

Quote Originally Posted by cammo View Post
    I'd bring the one that I am most likely to carry all the time, given my activities and dress code.
    I agree totally and as an aside in a nice way;sometimes you can over think some things.
    " Keep On Packin' On The Bimah"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    On the other hand, I'd hate to be out in the middle of nowhere somewhere on I45 and have a problem that requires a firearm, and only have a little sub-compact.
    There is no such thing as out in the middle of nowhere on I-45 anymore. Its full heavy traffic from Dallas to Houston. Sure, it lightens up a bit here and there, but there is always plenty of traffic. The Indians were driven out a long time ago. The wagon trail is filled with 18 wheelers, SUVs and RVs.

Unless you plan on driving late at night or early in the morning, I would not concern myself with being "out in the middle of nowhere."

With that in mind, and your comment about not wanting to print (printing isn't illegal here), take whatever is most comfortable for you to carry and stay cool.

And just in case, because some folks don't realize it, you do need a CHL if you plan to take the gun out of your car.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Unless you plan on driving late at night or early in the morning, I would not concern myself with being "out in the middle of nowhere."

With that in mind, and your comment about not wanting to print (printing isn't illegal here), take whatever is most comfortable for you to carry and stay cool.

And just in case, because some folks don't realize it, you do need a CHL if you plan to take the gun out of your car.
    Just for clarification, we will be driving at night, probably arriving in Houston around midnight. And of course we both have Texas CHL so that isn't a problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fish
    I agree totally and as an aside in a nice way;sometimes you can over think some things.
    Yeah, I know.. and obviously I'm not overly worried about it, I'm sure which ever one I bring will be fine. I mostly figured some people on here will have had a lot of experience travelling while carrying and might throw a few food-for-thought items.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

VIP Member
    Carry what you normally carry. If it serves you well in the DFW area, it will serve you just as well in the Houston area.
    Toorop likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    The stretch of I-45 from Greenspoint all the way to Fuqua is one you wouldnt want to stop for gas. If you do watch your 6 and carry something hi-capacity.

Senior Moderator
    By the way, one of the things we plan to do is take our daughter to the Johnson Space Center. I have been there but it was 10 years ago. I can't remember if they prohibit concealed carry or not. Does anyone know? I haven't been able to find a good answer and I'd like to know before hand, rather than walking up to the front door and being greeted by metal detectors or something. Does anyone know first hand?
    It's a federal installation, so the odd are that they do not permit carry. Kennedy Space Center here in Florida does not permit firearms on the property at all. Not even locked in a vehicle.
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

VIP Member
    Just for clarification, we will be driving at night, probably arriving in Houston around midnight. And of course we both have Texas CHL so that isn't a problem.

Yeah, I know.. and obviously I'm not overly worried about it, I'm sure which ever one I bring will be fine. I mostly figured some people on here will have had a lot of experience travelling while carrying and might throw a few food-for-thought items.
    I know you are licensed, that was aimed at other readers.

Well, since you will be traveling at night, you can throw a shotty in the trunk, but really, I-45 is probably crowded 24/7 over most of its length. I don't think there is any place between The Woodlands and Dallas I'd be concerned about.

I'm looking at a map: Ennis, Corsicana, Buffalo, Centerville, Madisonville, Huntsville, Willis, Conroe, The Woodlands. All civilized.

Funny, I-35 creeps me some north of Waco.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Funny, I-35 creeps me some north of Waco.
    I think I would include Waco into the creep area as well! LOL
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Carry what you normally carry. If it serves you well in the DFW area, it will serve you just as well in the Houston area.
    Agree. Maybe just carry a few extra mags in the car. Also considering a few of your favorite holsters so you have options while you are away from home.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by USPnTX View Post
    I think I would include Waco into the creep area as well! LOL
    I stand corrected, but I normally don't go through much of Waco as I tend to travel N on 6 through Marlin.
    Andrew Jackson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ErnieNWillis View Post
    The stretch of I-45 from Greenspoint all the way to Fuqua is one you wouldnt want to stop for gas. If you do watch your 6 and carry something hi-capacity.
    He ain't goin here -- Cut'n Shoot
    Andrew Jackson

You should also consider what holster options you have. If the drive is a long drive you may find that having your gun in a certain holster is very uncomfortable on a long drive. I have a crossbreed supertuck for my EMP and while it is a comfortable holster I found that sitting in a car for 8 hours with it on was not not very comfortable in the position I carried my gun in. So comfort is something you might want to consider as well.

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    Houston? Let me see, .50 cal.,2 shotguns,body armor,2-.45's,ammo, oh,almost forgot,a 14 yard dump truck with 6" pipe bumpers.It may appear I do not like Houston Like most have mentioned,carry what you feel comfortable with.
    Pain is the best teacher,but nobody wants to go to his class.

When the past smothers the present, there is only desperation. When the future absorbs the present, life stands still. In either case a decision must be made because you only live now and you are only what you are now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links