Defensive Carry banner

Which gun for a trip to Houston?

3K views 24 replies 14 participants last post by  Lnafree 
#1 ·
We're about to be taking a trip to Houston and I'm having a bit of trouble deciding which gun to take. May sound silly, but I've never really considered it before. The last few trips I took were out of the country so I couldn't carry anyway. Any trips before that I only had 1 carry gun so there was no choice to be made.

The main thing to choose from this time would be between larger gun with higher capacity, or smaller gun that is easier and more comfortable to conceal. And no (before somebody suggests) I don't want to bring both. We are going to be driving so we'll be in the car a lot but we'll be out and about in unfamiliar territory in Houston. I'm sort of afraid to be printing a lot in an unfamiliar area. On the other hand, I'd hate to be out in the middle of nowhere somewhere on I45 and have a problem that requires a firearm, and only have a little sub-compact. I'm sure the wife will be bringing her sub-compact as that is about all she ever carries these days.

By the way, one of the things we plan to do is take our daughter to the Johnson Space Center. I have been there but it was 10 years ago. I can't remember if they prohibit concealed carry or not. Does anyone know? I haven't been able to find a good answer and I'd like to know before hand, rather than walking up to the front door and being greeted by metal detectors or something. Does anyone know first hand?

See less See more
#4 ·
On the other hand, I'd hate to be out in the middle of nowhere somewhere on I45 and have a problem that requires a firearm, and only have a little sub-compact.
There is no such thing as out in the middle of nowhere on I-45 anymore. Its full heavy traffic from Dallas to Houston. Sure, it lightens up a bit here and there, but there is always plenty of traffic. The Indians were driven out a long time ago. The wagon trail is filled with 18 wheelers, SUVs and RVs.

Unless you plan on driving late at night or early in the morning, I would not concern myself with being "out in the middle of nowhere."

With that in mind, and your comment about not wanting to print (printing isn't illegal here), take whatever is most comfortable for you to carry and stay cool.

And just in case, because some folks don't realize it, you do need a CHL if you plan to take the gun out of your car.

#5 ·
Unless you plan on driving late at night or early in the morning, I would not concern myself with being "out in the middle of nowhere."

With that in mind, and your comment about not wanting to print (printing isn't illegal here), take whatever is most comfortable for you to carry and stay cool.

And just in case, because some folks don't realize it, you do need a CHL if you plan to take the gun out of your car.
Just for clarification, we will be driving at night, probably arriving in Houston around midnight. And of course we both have Texas CHL so that isn't a problem.
The Fish said:
I agree totally and as an aside in a nice way;sometimes you can over think some things.
Yeah, I know.. and obviously I'm not overly worried about it, I'm sure which ever one I bring will be fine. I mostly figured some people on here will have had a lot of experience travelling while carrying and might throw a few food-for-thought items.

#13 ·
He ain't goin here -- Cut'n Shoot

#8 ·
By the way, one of the things we plan to do is take our daughter to the Johnson Space Center. I have been there but it was 10 years ago. I can't remember if they prohibit concealed carry or not. Does anyone know? I haven't been able to find a good answer and I'd like to know before hand, rather than walking up to the front door and being greeted by metal detectors or something. Does anyone know first hand?
It's a federal installation, so the odd are that they do not permit carry. Kennedy Space Center here in Florida does not permit firearms on the property at all. Not even locked in a vehicle.

#14 ·
You should also consider what holster options you have. If the drive is a long drive you may find that having your gun in a certain holster is very uncomfortable on a long drive. I have a crossbreed supertuck for my EMP and while it is a comfortable holster I found that sitting in a car for 8 hours with it on was not not very comfortable in the position I carried my gun in. So comfort is something you might want to consider as well.

#15 ·
Houston? Let me see, .50 cal.,2 shotguns,body armor,2-.45's,ammo, oh,almost forgot,a 14 yard dump truck with 6" pipe bumpers.It may appear I do not like Houston :rolleyes: Like most have mentioned,carry what you feel comfortable with.

#17 ·
Going to Johnson Space Center, Houston, this summer. Wondering if anyone knows if the parking lot is checkpoint secured, like a military installation, or just going inside, such as an event, or Presidential library.
I would like to leave my CC in my truck, but would rather know if that's ok, before I get there.

#21 ·
My fault. I was looking for something similar to what I was trying to ask. Taking a trip there, want to know if I can legally park in Johnson SS lot, with my firearm locked in my vehicle. Should have started a new thread.

#24 ·
Weapons Ban

Unauthorized carrying, transporting, or otherwise introducing or causing to be introduced, or using firearms or other dangerous weapons, explosives or other incendiary devices, or other dangerous instrument, substance, or material likely to produce substantial injury or damage to persons or property, into or upon this real property, facility, or installation, is prohibited. Inspectors will be obligated to retain and turn over to cognizant law enforcement officials any evidence found in the course of the inspection which appears to represent an immediate threat to safety or security, the possession of which is reasonably believed to constitute a felony or which has been identified to be of interest in a criminal investigation. Under federal law, 18 United States Code Section 930, it is illegal to have a firearm in a building or part of a building owned or leased by the federal government where federal employees are regularly present for performing their duties. Therefore, Ohio Concealed Carry permits cannot be honored.

See below for a list of items that will not be allowed through the security checkpoint.

https://www.nasa.gov/centers/glenn/about/visit_grc_security_policy.html

Best I can come up with.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.