Hold Times on Handgun Purchases

This is a discussion on Hold Times on Handgun Purchases within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anyone know what the deal is concerning hold times on getting a new hand gun? A friend refered me to someone who is liceinced ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hold Times on Handgun Purchases

Hold Times on Handgun Purchases

Does anyone know what the deal is concerning hold times on getting a new hand gun? A friend refered me to someone who is liceinced dealer. I went this direction because he has offered good prices on weapons I have asked about. However, quanity wise, he does not sell many guns. Anyways, he orders my gun and it comes in. I go to pick it up and he calls in my info to the gov and gets a delayed. He is told to hold the gun for 5 days. He says he has been getting more and more delays over the past few months. Later in the week I go to a well know outlet who is offering the gun at very close to the same price (imagine that) with a friend of mine who is purchasing a hand gun. Paper work is completed the call is made and proceed!!! My friend walks right out with the hand gun the same day. SO I ask the salesguy who I have spoke to a couple of times and have a slight repore with asking what is the deal concerning delays and proceeds. He stated that nobody at that place gets manys delays but even if he does he will ask the person to shop for a half hour at which point he will call back in to enquire about the status and often get a proceed?!?!? WTH??? I was lead to beleive by the first dealer whom I am dealing with that once that initial call is made he is not to call back... The second guy makes it sound like he will call back on a whim!!! These are two very different outcomes for the same senerio. Can anyone provides some facts concerning what dictates delays or proceed in purchsing a hand gun please?

Thanks

2. Remove Ads

I'm no expert,but I have been led to believe the reason for a delay could be you share a name with a person who is prohibited,and they want to check it out,down here in Tx once we have our CHL license we can show our license and bypass background checks
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I'm no expert,but I have been led to believe the reason for a delay could be you share a name with a person who is prohibited,and they want to check it out,down here in Tx once we have our CHL license we can show our license and bypass background checks
    Yes it use to be that way here but no longer! I know it is only a few days but I am curious as to why this is. It is just the point... You may understand ... it is nothing more.

VIP Member
    Unless something has changed that I am not aware of, the dealer is blowing smoke. If a sell is delayed, they have 3 business days to either deny or the sell may proceed. Calling back may or may not result in a proceed.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Here in Florida, there is a 3 day period, that is waived if you have a CCW. They still do the background check.
    However, if you order a gun, or buy one online, the 3 day wait starts when you BUY, not when it arrives at the dealer.
    So, by the time it arrives, you are good to go.
    It sounds like something else is causing the delay. Some hangup in the NCIS check. But then why would the dealer be told, "Wait 5 days and then sell it."

whats a delay or a wait period , that sounds like Nazi tactics or the commies in California , In Oklahoma , I walk in see what I want , fill out the first and second page , give my license ,he calls the number , less than five minutes later Im out the door!

I Got Delayed at Gander Moutain said come back in 5 DAYS I said I'll be right back in a Hr, Got on phone made a few calls (BAM) Cleared up,

Went back to G/M & the other salesman had handgun ready ; ) PS If you mess up you had it, But if Big Bro messes up IT'S A TYPO
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

I have never had that problem but my son has. He want to buy someting and they held approval. He came back in 5 days, the dealer had not heard from the feds so the rule appears to be if we don't get back to ya go ahead. Weird???
    In a gun fight, you can not miss fast enough, to catch up.

That is weird.

I have purchased two firearms within the last two months from the same dealer. Both of the purchases went through immediately and I took said firearm with me after I paid the bill.

One was a Mosin-Nagant 91-30 in September for my birthday and the other was a Ruger LCR .357 for the wife's birthday in October. Both call in background checks went through with no delay.

Something seems fishy. I would be enquiring as to what information they have that holds up a purchase.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

In Nebraska we don't have any phone in process.

Once you get your Nebraska purchase permit (which can sometimes be obtained at the time of application or a few days processing)

You can purchase a gun, fill out the paperwork and take it home that day. Having your CHP in Nebraska also can expedite the process if you are in Omaha.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

In WI unless you have an FFL you MUST wait 48 hours. If you order the gun the wait time starts when you go to the dealer to fill out the paperwork, so really it is like a 5 day waiting period. I hope they can speed things up now that we are heading into the CC world.

Ex Member
    Must be a name thing. I am also a Indiana resident ad have NEVER had a problem, even with multiple sales. The ONLY 'issue' is if you live in Carmel and buy 3 at one time the FFL has to notify the LEO's of the sale.

VIP Member
    Thought I would help you out, so I went to the LGS today and picked up a G30. No delay, just a proceed. I did talk with the clerk and he said there are any number of reasons a law-abiding person could get a delay. Most of the time they don't hear back and proceed with the sale in a few days.

Another LGS deals more with lower priced guns as that is what their clients want/can afford. They charge $25 for a check then apply that to the purchase if it goes through. They have many turndowns each week, but generally they can tell if the person will be approved even if they are delayed. They had to put in the $25 fee as they were getting slammed with denied applications.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

In Oklahoma, I bought and carried my gun out immediately after a quick background test. Had there been any red flags, I might have had to wait.

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinixd View Post
    Does anyone know what the deal is concerning hold times on getting a new hand gun? A friend refered me to someone who is liceinced dealer. I went this direction because he has offered good prices on weapons I have asked about. However, quanity wise, he does not sell many guns. Anyways, he orders my gun and it comes in. I go to pick it up and he calls in my info to the gov and gets a delayed. He is told to hold the gun for 5 days. He says he has been getting more and more delays over the past few months.
    FBI — Fact Sheet

When a transaction is DELAYED, the NICS Examiner begins extensive research on the potential prohibitor. When the research is complete, the NICS Examiner calls the FFL and gives a PROCEED or DENY decision on the firearm transaction.

In states that agree to serve as POCs for the NICS, the functions performed by the NICS Section are performed by a local or state law enforcement agency which services the FFLs. The FFLs call these local or state agencies, which perform the check, make the decision whether the check indicates an individual is disqualified or not from possessing a firearm, and notify the FFL of the results of the check............................................. ......................................

If it is determined that prohibitive criteria exists, the NICS Examiner will advise the FFL to DENY the firearm transaction. If potentially prohibitive criteria exists and more information is required in order to make the determination, the NICS Examiner will advise the FFL to DELAY the firearm transaction and the FFL will receive the following instructions:

“. . .NTN ___ will be delayed while the NICS continues its research. If you do not receive a final response from us, the Brady Law does not prohibit the transfer of the firearm on day/date.”

The NICS Examiner will provide the FFL with the date of the third business day after the firearm check was initiated. Business days do not include the day the check was initiated, Saturdays, Sundays, and any day state offices in the state of purchase are closed. If the FFL has not received from the NICS a final determination after three business days have elapsed since the delay response, it is within the FFL’s discretion whether or not to transfer the firearm (if state law permits the transfer). If the FFL transfers the firearm, the FFL must mark “No resolution was provided within three business days” on line 21d of the ATF Form 4473. It is recommended the FFL record the date provided in the delay response on which the firearm may be lawfully transferred under federal law if a final determination of proceed or denied is not received from the NICS.

-------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links