Defensive Carry banner

How do you get the squeak out of leather holster?

31K views 26 replies 25 participants last post by  Knightrider 
#1 · (Edited)
People I work with ask if I am grinding my teeth.
The Don Hume leather OWB holster makes this noise with my G26.
My belt is a 5.11 leather 1.5 in

#4 ·
Carry peppermint lifesavers... or altoids... grind one up and spit it into your hand when they ask... show and tell 'em you "know it's a problem... but all these questions make you soooo tense"... They'll prolly leave you alone.

#23 ·
Thanks for all the help. I had some old birhtday candles so I rubbed them on the leather loops and on the back of the holster where it contacted the belt. It absolutely stopped the creaking.
Excellent. Glad I read all the thread before replying. This works well on similar leather product situations.

#20 ·
Go to ACE hardware and buy some Lexol Leather Conditioner. It will take a few applications to JUST THE BACK of the holster. Allow a day between applications. You can use it on the front but if you use too much you may softent the holster and compromise security.

#22 ·
Oils should not be used on boned (formed) holsters; it makes them soft and they lose their retention capability.

All that is necessary to eliminate leather squeak is a little baby powder.

#21 ·
I've seen this more with horsehide but some poly frame guns trend to creak in leather. Usually a little wax or shoe polish will solve the problem. Sometimes its the loops but usually its the frame against the leather. My Taurus is prone to this for some reason, I would recommend avoiding Lexol and neatsfoot oil because it will soften the leather over time.

Take care!

Luke

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

#25 ·
:danceban:If none of the previous suggestions work, try this, take it off your belt and put in a closet with some Decon over night, that just might get rid of the squeak.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.