Texas: CHL Renewal Question

This is a discussion on Texas: CHL Renewal Question within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It's time for me to renew my license again. This will be the third time I have renewed my license. I started the process on ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By TX-JB

Thread: Texas: CHL Renewal Question

Texas: CHL Renewal Question

It's time for me to renew my license again. This will be the third time I have renewed my license. I started the process on the DPS website but when I got ready to pay it listed the price as $70 and listed that I need the following supporting documents...

* CHL-100 Training Form* (received from CHL instructor upon course completion)
    * TxDPS will attempt to use the passport photo and resubmit the fingerprints on file for your renewal application. If either of these items does not meet current quality standards, TxDPS will notify the applicant and a new submission will be required.

My question is since this is the third time I am renewing and I completed the CHL-100 last time I renewed, is the price still $70 and am I correct believing that I do not need to take the CHL-100 again? The site listed the below so I should just be able to renew entirely online and not have to submit any documents correct?

* CHL-100 (proof of Continuing Education course completion) is required for 1st and 2nd time renewals. After the 2nd renewal, applicants must complete a Continuing Education course once every 10 years (GC§411.185). Applicants do not have to take a course for their third consecutive renewal if a course was completed on the previous renewal.
    "He who does not punish evil commands it to be done." - Leonardo da Vinci

2. Remove Ads

It's my understanding you must take the "refresher" CHL course with each renewal and pay the required fee. Their way of making sure everyone is updated on the latest changes in the law and is still proficient with their weapon upon each renewal.

Of course the fee is the most important part to them

That is what I thought too. Then when I read that on the DPS website it made me think I don't have to do it now, just once every 10 years from now on.

From the DPS website...

Applicants do not have to take a course for their third consecutive renewal if a course was completed on the previous renewal.

Maybe this will help get through the confusion that I find ever-present. Sometimes calling a reputable instructor will get straight information much easier than wading through all the legal jargon on the State website. I just finished my second renewal a few months ago, so it would be nice to hear what you find out.

CHL Handgun Training, Instruction, Certification, Gun Safety Classes, Texas CHL Training Classes, Texas CHL Handgun Classes, Court Ordered Firearms Safety Classes, Court Ordered Handgun Safety Classes, Firearms Safety Class to Clear Weapons Charges,

VIP Member
    My understanding of this, which could well be off by many miles but is based on what I was told at my last renewal class, is that the license is good for 5 years, and if you renew it, it is good for another 5 years, and of course that = 10. So there is only one renewal within a 10 year time frame.

However, because the licenses were once good for only 4 years, there were some funky situations in which a person might end up doing a 3rd renewal within a 10 year time frame.

What they are getting at with their weird wording is that in such a situation you don't need to test a 3rd time. This issue becomes effectively moot once all the 4 year licenses have disappeared.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

VIP Member
    I just got my renewal letter today, here's what it says,

"A CHL-100 (proof of Continuing Education course completion) is required for the 1st and 2nd time consecutive renewals. After the 2nd renewal, applicants must complete a Continuing Education course once every 10 years (GC411.185). This means the applicant does not have to take a course on their 3rd consecutive renewal if a course was completed on the previous renewal."

Hope this helps...
    Eaglebeak likes this.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

IIRC you only have to take the classroom part for renewals,but have to take the shooting part once every ten years,also if you are a VET send in your DD form 214 with application and the license is only $35.00
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I finished the application and I printed out the Application Checklist and it is as clear as mud whether or not I need to take the CHL100. Under required items it does list the CHL100 on there BUT with an * note that says I that don't need the CHL100 if this is my third consecutive renewal and the course was completed on my previous renewal (which it is and it was). Apparently the system is not smart enough to know this is my third renewal and I have taken the CHL100 every time prior.

If anyone is wondering about this, here is the answer...

I called and before I got to an actual live person I decided I wanted something in writing or traceable so I hung up and instead sent them an e-mail asking for an answer to my question. Not even 5 minutes later they responded to me so my hats off to the TX DPS. Glad I checked because as it turns out that I do not have to submit a CHL100. I renewed online so basically I am done minus mailing in the renewal application that I printed off of their website. Hope this helps any other CHLers out there that might have wondered about this. Here is their reply...

Links