Philadelphia to NJ

This is a discussion on Philadelphia to NJ within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I live about a stone throw away from New Jersey and I have to pass through there pretty often. The gun laws for PA and ...

Thread: Philadelphia to NJ

Philadelphia to NJ

I live about a stone throw away from New Jersey and I have to pass through there pretty often. The gun laws for PA and NJ are like night and day. Am I allowed to have the gun unloaded in my car while im there or is it strictly prohibited. And is there acceptions or special circumstances? I would love to know for certain instead of just leaving my gun at home for the day.

Thanks a million

2. Remove Ads

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    Great resource www.handgunlaw.us
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

http://www.nraila.org/statelawpdfs/NJSL.pdf

I am guessing you do not have a firearms ID card?

Personally, I don't rely on anonymous posters on a gun board for my legal advice. I'd look at the state laws myself. This is serious business. For example, I believe hollow-points are illegal in New Jersey, and simply possessing them there may be a felony.

IANAL. My advice is worth everything you paid for it.

Thats a real detailed source man thanks..."madmac" i looked for, and heard so many different views on this subject i figuered if anyone knew it would be someone on here. I also heard hollow points are illegal no matter what, but I've heard otherwise too.
    "When that gun comes out of that holster; it's business time." -Chris Costa

VIP Member
    If you are smart, you will not bring a handgun into NJ even if you are legally in possession of one on the PA side. Don't let it happen by accident. That won't keep you out of jail.

If you aren't covered by LEOSA (which didn't exist when that case happened), you are plain out of luck.

There is no basis for you to legally carry in NJ. Loaded, unloaded, makes no difference. Locked up, not locked up, makes no difference unless you are clearly covered by FOPA. And you won't be because you are not traveling from one state where you are legal to another where you are legal.

Leave it home or better yet, don't go there.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Short and sweet....

I you are stopping in NJ you can not bring a firearm. If you are traveling through the fed law applies.

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    Here is a great thread saga-gun-ownership-nj especially the You Tube link that it begins with: The Never-ending Saga of Firearms Ownership in New Jersey
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

VIP Member
    Your best source for info will be http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/newjersey.pdf . I don't think you would be legally able to carry. I do know NJ does not recognize any other states permit, and a snow ball in you know where stands a better chance of getting a non-resident permit from them.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I'm glad I joined this site, day one and I already learned quite a bit...thanks everyone
    "When that gun comes out of that holster; it's business time." -Chris Costa

Hopyard is 100% correct. Don't bring a handgun to Jersey. Period.
    As for hollowpoints...they are legal for use at home or range, but no where else.
    If you are arrested for any crime (e.g. an out-of-stater carrying an empty pistol locked up in his trunk), every hollowpoint round found in the accused's possession will add additional charges and prison time.
    The United States Constitution 1791. All Rights Reserved.

They say "California is the OTHER New Jersey"

Links