Church Carry

This is a discussion on Church Carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by adric22 That is not true. The law was changed a couple of years ago in Texas and now it is legal to ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Church Carry

Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    That is not true. The law was changed a couple of years ago in Texas and now it is legal to carry in a church as long as it does not have a 30.06 sign posted. However, this is a difficult thing because there are so many old documents out there on the internet and searching google for "Texas CHL church" will bring up tons of old documents that are from many years ago that are no longer valid. I carry my gun to church and my church does not have a 30.06 sign.

EDIT - Looks like ws76133 beat me to it.. I went to verify the law before posting that just so I didn't stick my foot in my mouth. By the time I hit save, he had already responded.
    Actually, the law changed in 1997.

2. Remove Ads

I live in Texas... it is legal for me to carry as i will in about 8 1/2 hours when i go to church

Believe you can't carry in churches in Virginia, FWIW, but--IIRC--only during worship services. Bingo night is all right, I guess. (Better check the law yourself, though, of course.)

Quote Originally Posted by MakoDax View Post
    I've never seen a law that expressly forbid carrying in a place of worship. Some states give signage the "weight of law". Not sure about Nebraska and I assume that you would have mentioned any such sign if your church had one.

My Grandfather was a Pastor and he knew of several members of the congregation who carried at church. He had no problem with it and in fact, he actively encouraged it.
    Georgia has one, SB308. We have no signage law so that's the plus. The negative is that places of worship are strictly forbidden, which is asinine because of all the places its important to carry, these are one of the most important as they are prime targets for crazy. SB308 is mostly a huge upgrade over the past weapons laws but still needs some work.
    Glock 22 (G2) & 27 (G3)
    S&W 686 .357 4" Stainless Pre-lock
    Ruger 10/22
    Marlin Model 65 .22LR - 1968
    Remington Model 31 16ga - 1932
    Remington 1900 12ga - 1904

I am a member of the Episcopal Church in West Virginia. As far as I know, there are no regulations against concealed carry into the Church. The wife and I pretty much do it all the time. Several of our members from OH and KY also have carry permits and I suspect they do from time to time. Kind of the "don't ask, don't tell" thing.

I do it especially when I get the offering ready for deposit. Our Church office is located in another building and you have to walk to it with the monies from the Collection Plate. That makes you a target for the local rif-raff that wanders about our neighborhood. Nowadays the area around our church is rampant with that sort of activity. We even had the police arrest a drug dealer plying his trade on our parking lot. So it's no wonder some of us carry when we go to Church.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by JoJoGunn View Post
    I am a member of the Episcopal Church in West Virginia. As far as I know, there are no regulations against concealed carry into the Church. The wife and I pretty much do it all the time. Several of our members from OH and KY also have carry permits and I suspect they do from time to time. Kind of the "don't ask, don't tell" thing.

I do it especially when I get the offering ready for deposit. Our Church office is located in another building and you have to walk to it with the monies from the Collection Plate. That makes you a target for the local rif-raff that wanders about our neighborhood. Nowadays the area around our church is rampant with that sort of activity. We even had the police arrest a drug dealer plying his trade on our parking lot. So it's no wonder some of us carry when we go to Church.
    Correct, churches are not on the list of prohibited places in WV. They could always put up a sign, but signs do not create a prohibited place, they just carry a trespassing charge if the CCWer is made and refuses to leave. As I read the law.

Quote Originally Posted by Ishmael View Post
    Believe you can't carry in churches in Virginia, FWIW, but--IIRC--only during worship services. Bingo night is all right, I guess. (Better check the law yourself, though, of course.)
    Not true. The law says that you can't carry in a place of religious worship while meeting for religious purposes without "good and sufficient reason". The current Attorney General issued an opinion that self-defense is a good and sufficient reason. Not exactly the force of law, but prosecutors would have a steep hill to climb in court.
    VBVAGUY likes this.
    "To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them"
    - George Mason, American Statesman (1725-92)

Quote Originally Posted by Eaglebeak View Post
    Can't carry in a Texas church at any time or in any manner. That's why it's always advised to check particular state laws in advance of visiting or passing through it even though there's a reciprocal agreement.

Actually, you can carry in Texas churches AS LONG AS they are not posting the 30.06 sign. It is wierd wording in the law....they give a list of PROHIBITED places, then follow up with a list of places that must post the proper signage in order for it to be prohibited, like a place of worship. ( I am guessing this was because some of these places, such as a place of worship, are flat prohibited in other states). Section 46.035(b)(6) prohibits carry by a licesnse holder in a place of worship...however, Section 46.035(i) it states "Subsections (b)(4), (b)(5), (b)(6), and (c) do not apply if the actor was not given effective notice under Section 30.06."

Sorry, I too was verifying my intel before responding. Looks like the cat has already been skinned.

Ah Yeah there is,and in some states if your Pastor/Deacon know that you ccw your church must report and be certified as a security guard.
    Quote Originally Posted by MakoDax View Post
    I've never seen a law that expressly forbid carrying in a place of worship. Some states give signage the "weight of law". Not sure about Nebraska and I assume that you would have mentioned any such sign if your church had one.

My Grandfather was a Pastor and he knew of several members of the congregation who carried at church. He had no problem with it and in fact, he actively encouraged it.

I carry everywhere I can, and that includes church. does anybody in the church know...I have no idea, I have not said anything, however anytime there is a need for security (or to carry heavy things) I always get called. If i am not mistaken there was a shooting in a church in Fl not too long ago.

Quote Originally Posted by MadDawg34 View Post
    Actually, you can carry in Texas churches AS LONG AS they are not posting the 30.06 sign. It is wierd wording in the law....they give a list of PROHIBITED places, then follow up with a list of places that must post the proper signage in order for it to be prohibited, like a place of worship. ( I am guessing this was because some of these places, such as a place of worship, are flat prohibited in other states). Section 46.035(b)(6) prohibits carry by a licesnse holder in a place of worship...however, Section 46.035(i) it states "Subsections (b)(4), (b)(5), (b)(6), and (c) do not apply if the actor was not given effective notice under Section 30.06."
    Section (i) was added in a different legislative session. Apparently, it was easier to add a section than to rewrite the other sections.

You can carry in MO in a church and it is only trespass if they ask you to leave. Only a few people know I carry despite my involvement with "security" mainly b/c there are some antis in the church. Howeer, one of the trustees asked my wife if she knew if I planned to carry my sidearm to a recent event because he had "concerns". She said she would ask him. Since I never told him, I suspect he saw some of the targets I posted on my FB account. Anyhow, they just elected me a trustee and according to the statute, trustees can give permission.

Yes there was a shooting in a Florida church about 6 weeks ago. I have been carrying in church before that, and definitely since. I carry everywhere I go, as long it is allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by SpringXDsub View Post
    Hey everyone,
    I have asked a few questions so far and really appreciate all of the input and feedback. Good stuff!!

Anyways, I have another one for you... What about carrying at church?? I was trying to find the Nebraska law that covers church carry and am failing miserably. I thought when I went through the CCW class that they said you had to inform them of it. I guess I am mainly asking if it is legal to carry in a church setting?? And if it is, do I have to do anything special? Or can I just got about my daily business and keep it quite.

Thanks everyone!
    -Nick
    Laws. Most of them are created to keep us at a disadvantage with the locals or the feds. That way thp the meey will always have something on you no matter what. Sort of like you never actually own your land without paying taxes. Thing is.....if you work on principles alone, then you have no need to question the laws. To me...laws won't save me from anything. Only I am in control of my existence. The law will come and clean up the mess and take my body away after it's all said and done. If you ask for control, you will be controlled. I've made up my mind not to play but to stay.
    Magnum likes this.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links