Church Carry

This is a discussion on Church Carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I pastor a Baptist Church in Texas and carry in all the services. Our church folks seem happy about it and many of them have ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Church Carry

I pastor a Baptist Church in Texas and carry in all the services.

Our church folks seem happy about it and many of them have their CHL and carry also at Church.

Many of us have gone to the range together and enjoyed shooting and good fellowship.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

2. Remove Ads

I also Pastor a Church and carry

It still isn't "allowed" in Arkansas, but I assure you that is mostly ignored, especially in smaller rural churches. The state legislature has tried, but so far has failed to change the law to put churches into the same category as a commercial business, where each individual "business/church" can decide for themselves what rule they want to set. I also read that it will be brought up for another vote this next legislative session.
    Kholster/Glock 17/Rugar SR9c/Bersa 380CC/Ruger LCR/SW 624/ SW 629
    Doublestar Star 15 M4 5.56 / Mossberg 500 Tactical Persuader

I don't even call it violence when it's in self defense; I call it intelligence
    Malcolm X

There's a reason it's called "CONCEALED" carry. Nuff said.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnum View Post
    There's a reason it's called "CONCEALED" carry. Nuff said.
    There's also a reason it's called ILLEGAL carry in many states. Nuff said.
    AZDaven likes this.

Having just read through Arizona's statutes several times in the past weeks, it's not forbidden here. I know several men in my small class at church that carry, and have no idea how many in our congregation of about 2000 do. Another forum member on here is a pastor of a nearby church and has posted on here that he carries to the pulpit every week. I know some members of his church, and he is pretty adamantly pro-carry in his church from what I understand.

Quote Originally Posted by TBob View Post
    Not true. The law says that you can't carry in a place of religious worship while meeting for religious purposes without "good and sufficient reason". The current Attorney General issued an opinion that self-defense is a good and sufficient reason. Not exactly the force of law, but prosecutors would have a steep hill to climb in court.
    To be totally honest, I've carried in church for years. I also took the time to talk to the Pastor regarding my carrying, and he had absolutely no issues with it. Nobody (other than my wife and the pastor) knows I'm carrying and I'm comfortable with that. Although this past Sunday after the service, I was talking to our Mayor (who also attends our church and is a shooter), asked me if I was carrying. I just smiled and gave a slight nod, no further discussion necessary.

I was once accused of carrying in the pulpit so that when someone got up from the altar, I could send them straight to Heaven before they had a chance to backslide.
    sdprof likes this.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    I was once accused of carrying in the pulpit so that when someone got up from the altar, I could send them straight to Heaven before they had a chance to backslide.
    Now THAT's FUNNY!!!

I carry at church, here in Warshington we're not prohibited by law.
    Four Rugers, three SIG Sauers; my SP101 3-1/16" .357 is shown in my avatar. I like reliability.

Quote Originally Posted by Crashbox View Post
    Now THAT's FUNNY!!!

I carry at church, here in Warshington we're not prohibited by law.
    That statement was made by my comedian gun dealer to our local (at the time, mid-70s) BATF agent. I am not sure who had the most shocked expression, me or the BATF agent. We were both speechless. :)
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

I'm an minister at my church and I do carry. Wife is a trustee and church treasurer so being armed when making deposits along with her, I feel better even though she doesn't like guns!

How about Colorado?

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    You can carry in places of worship in CO. Only places you can't are those places specified under federal law or school campuses (elementary through high school).

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/colorado.pdf
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

My best advice is to look into the laws of your state first, and then talk to whoever own the church building (i.e. the pastor). At my church, the way I understand it, the Pastor allows some people to carry. The gentleman who taught my CCW class is a member of the church, and he held the classes at the church, but he made it sound as though the pastor might be picky about who he wants carrying inside (whether that's legal or not, I don't know). I always like to do my best to follow the wishes of those in charge. For instance, I don't carry (even concealed) in my parents home because I know their opinion of guns. I don't know why the law would require you to talk to your pastor, but I think it might be a nice thing to do. I was actually in a church service when my own pastor was the target of an attack. an estranged church member came right in through the back door, pointed a finger (thank God it was JUST a finger) at the pastor, and started blatantly threatening the pastor. Everyone was pretty shaken by it. I found out later that the man who taught my CCW class had been carrying that day. It made me feel like I was "that much" safer. I hope your state/pastor allow you to carry!!

As GeorgiaDawg said, you can carry in places of worship with no problem in CO. I am on the church security team but would carry even if I weren't. I know quite a few that carry to church.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links