Church Carry - Page 4

Church Carry

This is a discussion on Church Carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I carry to church. I've even talked my pastor into getting his CCP. I believe I'm the only one packing while praising, so I wouldn't ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Church Carry

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    I carry to church. I've even talked my pastor into getting his CCP. I believe I'm the only one packing while praising, so I wouldn't mind having some more "backup", just in case
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

It is legal for a CCW holder to carry in church in Florida.
    Use care though. Some churches have class rooms and daycare's.
    I consider a grey area because CCW holders are not allowed to carry in schools or daycares.

John!

Quote Originally Posted by Eaglebeak View Post
    Can't carry in a Texas church at any time or in any manner. That's why it's always advised to check particular state laws in advance of visiting or passing through it even though there's a reciprocal agreement.
    NOT true the only time you can't carry in texas is when it is posted

PC §46.035. UNLAWFUL CARRYING OF HANDGUN BY LICENSE HOLDER.
    (b) (6) on the premises of a church, synagogue, or other established place of religious worship.

(i) Subsections (b)(4), (b)(5), (b)(6), and (c) do not apply if the actor was not given effective notice under Section 30.06.If no 30.06 sign it is ok to carry

CJM
    Yes I carry at church, and don't care who would approve of it or not in the congregation. It's none of anyone's business but mine. I don't ask what they have underneath their clothing, so don't inquire about what I have under mine.
    NH_Esau likes this.

I'm a Sr. pastor & carry at church & I have now 4 other that I allow to carry. I completed my NRA Basic Pistol & waiting on SLED so I can start SC CWP classes for churches in our area.
    G17,G19C,G21,G22c,G22RTF2/Gills,G26,G31,G32
    Colt Python 6'' .357mag & 4'' Trooper

NRA Pistol Instructor
    SC CWP Instructor

GH
    I can't carry in my church only because it's attached to our school. Our law states anywhere closer to 1000' from school property even if it's not in session is illegal. Our pastors & principal checked to be absolutely sure & notified the congregation as soon as our CC law was passed. Carrying by a licensed Security Officer with a firearms endorsement hasn't been researched yet.

After this Sunday's tragic event at that Sikh temple in a suburb of Milwaukee this shows the fallacy of that law. I have to wonder what would have happened if there was one person in that congregation that was carrying.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

"Under certain circumstances, places of worship may authorize security guards to carry concealed handguns (see section 018 in the regulations or section 69-2441 in the statutes). "

Crazy. So a place of worship can't let common citizens carry? I can just see some power-drunk official trying to extend that to house churches.

I carry everywhere it's legal, which here is just about everywhere except courthouses, federal facilities, public schools, and posted private property.

Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    That is not true. The law was changed a couple of years ago in Texas and now it is legal to carry in a church as long as it does not have a 30.06 sign posted. However, this is a difficult thing because there are so many old documents out there on the internet and searching google for "Texas CHL church" will bring up tons of old documents that are from many years ago that are no longer valid. I carry my gun to church and my church does not have a 30.06 sign.

EDIT - Looks like ws76133 beat me to it.. I went to verify the law before posting that just so I didn't stick my foot in my mouth. By the time I hit save, he had already responded.
    For future searches, try starting here.

Quote Originally Posted by MakoDax View Post
    I've never seen a law that expressly forbid carrying in a place of worship. Some states give signage the "weight of law". Not sure about Nebraska and I assume that you would have mentioned any such sign if your church had one.

My Grandfather was a Pastor and he knew of several members of the congregation who carried at church. He had no problem with it and in fact, he actively encouraged it.
    I agree with this post. There is nothing in our local law that forbids CCW in Church. I do and I know others do. My grandfather was not a Pastor but I know that our Pastor has no problem with a few folks in the pews with a firearm. Sad to say it is a good thing in this day and age.
    BA
    Kahr CM9, Beretta PX4 SC .40, Ruger LCP/LM, Dan Wesson .357, Beretta 21A .22, Four Aces .22, H&R .22, Marlin .22 rifle and 1946 Remington 12 gauge.

I CC at church. CC means just that no one knows no one needs to know. With all the cray people out there churches are targets. As for the law in Wisconsin if it is not posted your good to go.

In Michigan you can legally carry in Church as long as you have permission of the Church authority. We have CPL classes at my Church and have graduated 57 people (I think). At a voters meeting several years ago the issue of carrying in the Church was addressed and voted on passing unanimously in the affirmative. We, indeed, encourage licensed people to carry while worshiping. Both our Pastor and his wife carry.

YUP! Don't need no stinkin' shootin' iron in no church..... Just ask the Sikhs!

Unfortunately, the recent Sikh Temple shooting clearly demonstrates that houses of worship are not exempt from violence. It used to be that the primary targets of these nuts were Jewish centers and synagogues, but no more. Churches and temples of any denomination are at risk and "no gun" policies will not deter an active shooter; in fact such policies may have the opposite effect, marking them as soft targets where no opposition can be expected. When will the obtuse sheeple ever learn?

Quote Originally Posted by Eaglebeak View Post
    Can't carry in a Texas church at any time or in any manner. That's why it's always advised to check particular state laws in advance of visiting or passing through it even though there's a reciprocal agreement.
    Eaglebeak, this is Texas law:

The following locations are only off limits if the person is given notice that complies with section 30.06 of the penal code. 30.06 will be covered in a later section.
    (4) on the premises of a hospital, or on the premises of a nursing home, unless the license holder has written authorization of the hospital or nursing home administration, as appropriate;
    (5) in an amusement park; or
    (6) on the premises of a church, synagogue, or other established place of religious worship.
    (c) at any meeting of a governmental entity.

In other words...no notice equals guns in the congregation!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links