The CHP positive influence

This is a discussion on The CHP positive influence within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was talking with my Dad the other night and he was commenting on how I don't drink anymore. He was also commenting on he ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: The CHP positive influence

I was talking with my Dad the other night and he was commenting on how I don't drink anymore. He was also commenting on he had noticed a change in how I drive and how I interact very politely with strangers in public. He said he had noticed a change in my demeaner over the last several years and was wondering what had influenced these changes.

He was somewhat surprised when I told him that it was getting my Concealed Handgun Permit. I explained that I don't want to put myself in a position that my judgment is impaired or that I have to use my weapon. I also explained that the responsibility of carrying meant I had a higher standard of avoiding conflict and de-escalating as to not put myself in a position of contributing to or escalating any situation. I drive much more conservatively and politely on the road. If someone is in a hurry, I slow down and let them by. They cut me off, I just avoid and let them go. When I go to the mall or a store, I hold the door for people and say howdy, ma'am, sir, etc. I told him that my firearm was my last resort, and my first option was to avoid trouble to begin with.

My Dad was very impressed that I take carrying so seriously that it has had such a positive influence on my demeanor in so many ways. I replied, "Well, so many people think that guns are bad...for me, getting my permit and carrying has certainly been an overwhelming positive and humbling influence." He thought it was getting older, having kids, etc. and I told him, "Those family responsibilities were the reason I obtained my CHP, it just so happened the responsibility of carrying had other downstream positive influences." He thought that was an interesting perspective. Anyone else have a similar experience?
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Good on you! Wish my folks were around to see and appreciate the change in demeanor...

Concealed carry as a twelve step program for many aspects of life...
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

The added responsibility makes you aware of the many choices you have to add to your well being, even though you are prepared to respond should those choices be taken away from you.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

VIP Member
    Congratulations !

The people who'd scare me the most are the one's who'd become worse in their demeanor because they are CCW.
    RoadKill likes this.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    Congratulations !

The people who'd scare me the most are the one's who'd become worse in their demeanor because they are CCW.
    I agree 100%. This forum has really helped me more than anything in the maturation process regarding being armed. I've been shooting since I was a kid, but the shooting part is really a small piece of the whole picture. The mental/attitude/perspective part is the true key to minimizing your odds of being in a situation and being properly prepared if a situation occurs. There are a lot of people out there that don't know what they don't know. The education and perspective I have gained from this forum and the members here have been humbling. I realized early on that I had a lot to learn, and it is a never-ending process. The other positive side-effects were just icing on the cake.

VIP Member
    BugDude, Congrats on becoming and setting a good example. Stories like yours are a pleasure to read.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    Congratulations !

I know entirely too many of that particular persuasion, as well.

My 10 year old son is sharp. Too smart for his own good. Like his dad at his age left alone for to long and could start touble. He now see the CCW licenses that I have and he wants to go shooting and learn as much as he can. I explained that they do not give CCW license to kids and adults that have been in trouble. He sees the light.
    BugDude likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by HKinNY View Post
    My 10 year old son is sharp. Too smart for his own good. Like his dad at his age left alone for to long and could start touble. He now see the CCW licenses that I have and he wants to go shooting and learn as much as he can. I explained that they do not give CCW license to kids and adults that have been in trouble. He sees the light.
    What a valuable lesson for him and a good incentive to stay out of trouble. I'm going to have to remember that for my son (now 2) as his Dad had a tendency to get into mischeiviousness in his younger years and I don't believe the apple fell far from the tree.

I explained that they do not give CCW license to kids and adults that have been in trouble.

I can identify. It's honestly been strange to experience the very positive effects on my demeanor and my reaction to negative interactions. "Strange" just because I had not anticipated it. I give a lot of credit to the many thoughtful discussions on this board.

Quote Originally Posted by HKinNY View Post
    That's good. Part of the reason that I've tried to keep my nose clean is because I know doing stupid stuff like drinking and partying will mess up my chances of ever getting into Law Enforcement. The other part is I don't like being in situations where I am vulnerable. I've been into guns/self-defense since I was a kid, so I knew the three stupids rule before I even learned to drive, lol.
    Ron Paul 2012

There are three kinds of Yankees: Yankees, Damn Yankees, and Floridians

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Calm demeanor and confidence stem from being in control. When you are carrying, you both have more control over your situation and you must remain in control, including being in control of yourself.

Humble Pie is not a bad desert...Thanks for sharing.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Hi BugDude. It's good to see a guy with his head screwed on straight. Some don't have it that way. You obviously do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links