Surviving a traffic stop - Page 2

Surviving a traffic stop

This is a discussion on Surviving a traffic stop within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by 9MMare Well how hard is it to do all those things? Today, many cops traffic stops are video taped and almost all ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Surviving a traffic stop

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    Well how hard is it to do all those things? Today, many cops traffic stops are video taped and almost all are audio taped (except in more out of the way places). If an officer reacts improperly, go thru the chain of command and see it made right. But I find the whole 'surviving traffic stops' thing and 'dont get shot when stopped' thing a bit dramatic.

Many people carry, cops should be trained to deal with it. Is it really that 'wild West' in Ohio with car stops? You have my sympathies if it is.

But no matter what the laws, I dont know why cops in different states would freak out more or less over people carrying, no matter if they must inform or not.
    Everybody has seen the Harless video, and while it is not typical, it certainly happened.

The reason I chose it as a topic is twofold. One it is commonly discussed and two I wanted to start a discussion about the officers right to disarm at a traffic stop. Nearly every time it comes up some says something about Constitution rights, recording devices, background checks, yadda yadda yadda.

I was hoping to cover the stop from both sides and inform other CHP holders of the other risk minimizing tactics the officer is doing and to convey some of the stress they are under. I must have done well because it hasn't been brought up here.

The fact of the matter still remains that for the armed citizen, this may be the only relatively high stress encounter with another armed individual, that will likely involve gun handling, by one or both parties, and they know nothing about the other person and if something goes wrong, the court will believe them 1st, that they will ever have. If we were to replace "LEO" with any other person, the discussion of tactics and de-escalation techniques wouldn't even be an issue, and you can bet that police officer discuss encounters with us (the law abiding, background checked, responsible ones).

"Surviving" a traffic stop? Interesting title. It's far more dangerous for those performing traffic stops than it is for those be stopped, one of the most dangerous things cops do next to domestic disturbance calls.

Anyway, follow the rules, do as you're asked and you'll "survive" the encounter just fine. If the cop does anything that you feel violates any of your rights fight that battle in court or with administration, not on the side of the road. I guarantee you'll lose there.
    “Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never—in nothing, great or small, large or petty—never give in, except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.”

Quote Originally Posted by NC Buckeye View Post
    The reason I chose it as a topic is twofold. One it is commonly discussed and two I wanted to start a discussion about the officers right to disarm at a traffic stop. Nearly every time it comes up some says something about Constitution rights, recording devices, background checks, yadda yadda yadda.

I was hoping to cover the stop from both sides and inform other CHP holders of the other risk minimizing tactics the officer is doing and to convey some of the stress they are under. I must have done well because it hasn't been brought up here.
    Like WC145, the terms in the titling were a bit dramatic for me...and unrealistic. "Survive" and "Dont get shot" seem a bit much. I think it sets expectations that there will be conflict in such stops....which then sets up people to over react.

I think it's pretty much a non-issue if you follow the laws. If there is unlawful or dangerous behavior on the part of the officer...which there can be for many reasons, not just your gun....then you follow up with the proper authorities. They're not 'all out to get us.'

I do agree it's a good subject because there are things you can do to make it easier/less stressful for the officer but the subject has been discussed here many many times. People usually come in and post...."I had my first traffic stop today!" And most say it was a non-issue.

It's a worthwhile subject, I just think it's packaged here as something it's not....a likelihood that you'll be illegally treated & suffer consequences because of your firearm.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

BTW, if I ever was harrassed by a cop, I would deal with it, quickly and with the expectation of results. Hell hath no fury......

However it would not be directly with that officer, it would be with his superiors. Or the media.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links