I hate this expression - Page 2

I hate this expression

This is a discussion on I hate this expression within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by ExactlyMyPoint I keep seeing this phrase Carrying isn't suppose to be comfortable, it's supposed to be "comforting" I really dislike it. To ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: I hate this expression

Quote Originally Posted by ExactlyMyPoint View Post
    I keep seeing this phrase

Carrying isn't suppose to be comfortable, it's supposed to be "comforting"

I really dislike it. To me, it ignores the fact that carrying CAN be painful, and if so, will not be done. The inconvenience I can deal with, but I have, literally, excruciating back pain at times and under those circumstances do not carry. I can't. I can barely move as it is. I have spent a considerable amount of time/energy/effort figuring out workable solutions, but reality is reality and when things become painful, people don't do it.
    Don't take it as Gospel. The expression is attributed to Clint Smith (call it a "Clint-ism") and he said it to make a point, which was to counter the notion that one should adapt a gun to fit one's wardrobe rather than the other way around. He wasn't advocating that carrying a gun should be uncomfortable.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Dead is permanent.

Pain is temporary.
    If you've been in chronic pain and something as small as even a gun can make it just that much worse you are going to take the relief of not carrying it.

I'm 26 days away from my due date in my pregnancy and for the last month + I have been experiencing severe lower back, hip and pelvis pain. I do not always carry because, yes, even a small gun just adds to the weight and therefore the pain. Even standing can be too much and the only relief I can find is sitting or resting in water.

With my first pregnancy, JD would have to roll me around the house in our wheeled office chair because by the end of the day I was in so much pain my legs would stop working.

When you are in that much pain your only goal is finding relief and if losing the gun on your waist, in your pocket or whatever makes you even the SLIGHtest bit more comfortable your comfort is going to outweigh the 1 in a million chance you will need your firearm that moment. I promise.

Sure, my pain is temporary. In a month I will have this baby and within a few more weeks of my body getting back to normal my pain will likely go away but I know my chances of needing my firearm in that time are slim to none... the chances of experiencing more pain from packing more weight.. pretty much 100%.

Yeah, I still carry most of the time but not all of the time.

Last night I gave my gun to JD to carry for me while we were out shopping. It was just getting to be too much. Obviously if he were not there I could not have done that and I would have just suffered with it but he went off and did his thing and I did my thing and I was not armed and he was.

There are times I've left my gun in the car with him while I go into a store to grab something because I don't want to tote the weight. Or I'll just send him because I don't even want to walk. Pretty much if there is any excuse to get rid of extra weight right now I do it.

People experiencing chronic pain are GOING to take any measure of relief over the chance of death.. It's kind of like a bird in the hand being worth two in the bush.

Senior Moderator
    People experiencing chronic pain are GOING to take any measure of relief over the chance of death.. It's kind of like a bird in the hand being worth two in the bush.
    I hear ya.

It's also the time that you would be most vunerable to some jerk messing with you and its that time that you would be the least able to handle it.

If one is in that much pain, they need to stay at the house.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    If one is in that much pain, they need to stay at the house.
    Believe you me... those of us who experience that much pain would like to do nothing but just that... but as part of pain management and for our health we also have our therapists, doctors and chiropractors forbidding us from doing just that.

I'm under strict orders to walk as much as I can not only for my pelvic health but for my baby. I have several appointments a week with chiropractor and my OB that mean I have to leave the house.

It's just the way it is. I know I'm EXTREMELY vulnerable. I'm weak, I'm in pain, I can't run or fight but I have to go on with my life and do what I have to do to feed my family, conduct business, go to appointments.. people still have to go to work.... our lives do not stop because we are in chronic pain. I try to find a way to balance my personal defense and security and my pain but sometimes that means some compromise.

Something I always have is my common sense.. I still have my situational awareness and as long as I keep using those hopefully I can keep avoiding the need for a gun until my body is back to normal.

VIP Member
    Hang in there Lima. Whenever Mrs. Whec ticks me off, I sometimes think about what she went through carrying whec jr. You are a walking (waddling) miracle.

OP - I have to agree with you (and with lima).

That said, I don't think there are too many people for whom pocket carry would be painful (women are excluded - most of their pockets will barely hold a cigarette lighter, let alone a gun). Given my need for discretion, and the pain that my Smartcarry started causing after 3+ years of constant use, I downgraded from my G26 to a PM9 plus a LCP (or, at times, two LCPs) in either front pocket.

It took some doing - had to figure out how to carry everything else (wallet, keys, etc) - but it is MUCH more comfortable. Before, I would take off my Smartcarry as soon as I got home - now I literally have two pistols on me at all times, from morning until bedtime. Would I rather have a double stack .45? Sure. But that just isn't going to work for me.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Cool

I am not to the point yet that the Cervical 5,6 and 7 degeneration causes to much pain to carry my G-23 or other comparable weight handgun AIWB or for that matter keep me from doing other physical things.

If and when it does happen I will revert to downsizing as needed.

They ain't much but they will go bang and they will expell a projectile.

photo.jpg
    click image to enlarge

OS
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    -
    I don't find carrying to be comforting. I find it to be a reasonable insurance policy in an uncertain world...& as is the case with all types of insurance, it's not going to save you from all forms of trouble.

If you're a person who believes in insurance, you go with the maximum amount that you can bear.
    9MMare likes this.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

At times my S&W 638 becomes uncomfortable and I will carry by Beretta 92. The only reason I can think of the switch being more comfortable is that the larger size of the 92 spreads the load, making up for the much greater weight.

Changing carry method (IWB, OWB, shoulder rig, off body) may also help temporary pain problems.

LIMA: hang in there. My wife had a tough pregnancy, pretty much a constant migraine for her 3rd trimester. I can sympathize with you and JD. Best wishes for an easy labor to make up for it.
    Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor liberty to purchase power.
    -Ben Franklin

Administrator
    "You guys are such babies....you should spend the day in high heels

It's got a grain of truth tho...I avoid heels like the plague!"

I'm at work right now wearing a Colt Combat Commander OWB - behind the hip (of course with a good gun belt) secured in a Milt Sparks holster and under a slightly oversize Navy Blue Cotton T-Shirt & I don't even know that I'm carrying it except for the fact that I'm thinking about it right now because of this thread.

Oh....and I'm not wearing my High Heels right now....
    I just have on a super comfy pair of Bubble Gum Pink Ballerina Flats.<~~~

I take these sayings with a grain of salt. If it is not in sync with my lifestyle or mode of dress.....goes in one ear and out the other. Sure I believe in carrying the biggest, baddest gun possible 24/7, but that is just not always possible. If the LCP is the most you can carry, then its the most you can carry. Everything is a trade-off.
    9MMare likes this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

VIP Member
    My set-up is very, very comfortable. Lots of trial and error, research and expense went into making it that way, but I wouldn't have it any other way. I find it humorous when someone goes on at length about how great their rig is, except when they have to drive, sit, or whatever else makes it a PITA overall.

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    ......I mean, when I am wearing my spandex leotard I wear exclusively every day, it gets kind of hard, but I find a way to make it work.
    I got a visual....exactly how does one go about poking out their mind's eye anyway?
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

This is one reason why I have so many handguns. Everything from large full size to small and light. My 442 and PT709 can be carried in just about ANY situation and not even notice I have them on me.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    . . . I mean, when I am wearing my spandex leotard I wear exclusively every day, it gets kind of hard, but I find a way to make it work.
    This totaly gives a new outlook on the phrase "is that a gun in your pants, or are you just glad to see me?"

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links