I hate this expression

This is a discussion on I hate this expression within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a wide variety of carry guns from small to large. I find myself usually carrying the CW9 these day as it just carries ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: I hate this expression

I have a wide variety of carry guns from small to large. I find myself usually carrying the CW9 these day as it just carries so easily and is pretty comfortable to carry even IWB.

Like the OP, I also hate that phrase and find it a silly concept.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

2. Remove Ads

I agree, I have a really bad case of acid reflux, I have tried IWB holsters and they don’t work at all for me!! So I keep up the experimenting.
    If Guns kill people then all of mine are defective!
    My idea of gun control is using BOTH hands!

Permits in: ND (resident), CT, UT, FL, AZ & MN
    North Dakota Concealed Carry Instructor
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

I know Clint wants us to carry as big a gun as possible and I do.

Sometimes it's only my TCP 738. I bought it to carry when I got a lower abdomen/groin injury about a year and a half ago. Before that I would never even dream of carrying just a mouse gun. For 6 months I couldn't carry anything. Even a belt caused crippling pain. I resorted to off body carry whenever possible. Since I had to carry my wallet, keys, phone, etc in a bag anyway. Then I was able to put the little 380 and all my other stuff in my pockets and hold up my pants with suspenders. Oh happy day! It was painful but tolerable.

I still carry as big a gun as possible. It just depends on my pain level. I carry either a G17, a G26, a S&W Model 36 snubbie or the TCP 738.

I can't wait till Clint can't carry his gun that starts with a 4! We'll all see what he says and does then! I bet he'll have another Clint-ism for us to swallow!
    Question Everything!

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Even so, I think the choice of giving up protection because of a little pain is not the way to go. You need to adjust and figure out a different way and you need to make it a priority. Keep experimenting until you find a solution.

Dead is permanent.

Pain is temporary.
    Not in every instance...the "find a way to make it work" is OK advice, though.
    limatunes likes this.
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

To the OP,

Yup, I'm right there with ya! For months, I tried to carry IWB (using a proper gunbelt) in various positions, and had nothing but constant pain. Sometimes more, sometimes less, depending on the position of the holster, and what I was doing, but always painful.

I tried to tell myself that it wasn't that bad, and thought about that very expression to try to work thru the pain. I went from trying a S&W 457, to a S&W 3913, to a KelTec PF-9, thinking that if I could find a pistol light enough/small enough that it would work.

It got to the point that, not only could I not wear IWB, but I couldn't wear a belt at all; went to using suspenders to keep my pants up!

Part of the reason for all that pain was some tenderness in my kidneys from several operations; in fact, I just had another kidney operation two weeks ago, so I doubt I'll ever be able to wear an IWB holster for any more than an hour or so.

Anyway, all of this is relevant since I do have a suggestion for you...Kangaroo Concealed Carry Holster. If you're not familiar with it, it's a kind of hybrid of a shoulder holster and a belly band, but doesn't have the bad factors of either. I can carry the 457 for hours in it without a problem; same with either of the other two pistols. It looks kinda goofy, but I wear it over a t-shirt, and under a dress shirt, and no one (except my wife) ever sees it.

It's not as fast in the draw as a traditional IWB holster at 3 o'clock, but I can draw from concealment and hit a 4" circle with 3 shots from 6 yards in about 3.6 seconds on average (my average for the 3 o'clock draw is about 2.8 seconds), so it's not bad.

And it's inexpensive, so trying it out won't break the bank.

If you want more info on how I set it up, let me know in a PM.

I have no connection to Kangaroo, but I love that holster!

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    I think we all have terms and phrases we dislike. Three of my dislikes are "Packin'", "Hogleg" and "I got heat".

Ugh!
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

Yeah!,I don't like hills either,but I was young and needed money.
    Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    You guys are such babies....you should spend the day in high heels

It's got a grain of truth tho...I avoid heels like the plague!

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    "Carrying isn't suppose to be comfortable, it's supposed to be comforting."

This sounds like a response from a terrible customer service rep fielding complaints about their crummy IWB.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

Everything I carry is comfortable. Took me a lot of money and a big box of misfit holsters but I found what works for me. Everyone has different body sizes and dimensions so finding what works for you is important. Worth every penny to me to achieve comfort..

Like the OP, I also hate that phrase and find it a silly concept.
    "Carrying isn't suppose to be comfortable, it's supposed to be comforting."

This sounds like a response from a terrible customer service rep fielding complaints about their crummy IWB.
    Yes, but surely all you guys understand Clint Smith's meaning. You do, don't you?

I like the "comforting rather than comfortable" phrase very much. It represents sound advice. I have a Kel Tec P3AT and several other small pistols. I rarely carry them because I don't want to be required to fight with them. Some of these stunted, flea-weight creations that are currently so popular are wretched. Just because a pistol can be made so small and light doesn't mean that it should be.

As long as it is ever smaller and ever lighter it'll sell these days. Too many seem to remember their smallest dime store plastic water pistols they had as a kid and expect the real thing to weigh the same as the water pistol...without its water. Sometimes it seems that this current generation expects the best concealed carry handgun to have the size and weight of a paper clip, shoot the .500 S&W with manageable recoil, and hold 20 rounds.

You know who you are.
    Majorlk, OD*, Magnum and 1 others like this.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Quote Originally Posted by ExactlyMyPoint View Post
    I keep seeing this phrase

I really dislike it. To me, it ignores the fact that carrying CAN be painful, and if so, will not be done. The inconvenience I can deal with, but I have, literally, excruciating back pain at times and under those circumstances do not carry. I can't. I can barely move as it is. I have spent a considerable amount of time/energy/effort figuring out workable solutions, but reality is reality and when things become painful, people don't do it.

We all make choices in our lives and have to weigh the benefits vs. the risks.
    Sorry friend. My Minotaur M-TAC holsters are comfortable AND comforting.... But the truth is that carrying is supposed to make you feel more at ease. Comfort (physically speaking is just a secondary part. My suggestion is to find a weapon & carry method that are BOTH comforting AND comfortable... (J-Frame in a pocket holster perhaps?
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Senior Member Array GentlemanJim's Avatar
    Sorry to hear about your back.

I like the expression. It's meant to be about why we carry and the small sacrifices we make to do so.

Jim

Ex Member Array Jim Rat-a tat tat's Avatar
    As someone who makes there living as a personal trainer I would suggest anyone having pain when carrying try strengthen their core. I have helped many people with back injuries rehab to a point they could function. That being said, good luck with your injuries, hope you feel better. Also have you tried off body carry? It's slow but better than nothing.

I agree. I think it is a stupid statement. Personally, I don't see any reason why carrying can't be both comforting AND comfortable.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links