I hate this expression

This is a discussion on I hate this expression within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I keep seeing this phrase Carrying isn't suppose to be comfortable, it's supposed to be "comforting" I really dislike it. To me, it ignores the ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: I hate this expression

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

I hate this expression

I keep seeing this phrase

Carrying isn't suppose to be comfortable, it's supposed to be "comforting"
    I really dislike it. To me, it ignores the fact that carrying CAN be painful, and if so, will not be done. The inconvenience I can deal with, but I have, literally, excruciating back pain at times and under those circumstances do not carry. I can't. I can barely move as it is. I have spent a considerable amount of time/energy/effort figuring out workable solutions, but reality is reality and when things become painful, people don't do it.

We all make choices in our lives and have to weigh the benefits vs. the risks.
    TN_Mike, Dadsnugun, tts and 1 others like this.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

2. Remove Ads

I fully agree with your assessment and empathize with the discomfort aspect as well since I'm a paradox of a tall, slim-built person who's only body padding is a mild beer gut. There's simply no kind of IWB on the market (tried 'em all) that doesn't either have the whole rig grating against a bone or being compressed into a lovehandle that's not only painful but makes it very difficult to draw the weapon. Sitting down is another story of pain (and frequently an impossibility) when one has very little padding on the backsides that lets the muzzle of the weapon contact the seat and push the back of the gun up to spread a couple of ribs. The front carry IWB models (centered in front and extending downward like an iron-reinforced leather jock-strap) are a joke. Sitting down with one of them packing only my tiny little Colt Mustang gave a whole new concept to a nutcracker, and I had major apprehension (along with major discomfort) from the muzzle of a .380 being firmly planted against the little warrior. My moderate beer belly only put a shed roof over everything stored below and made it embarrassingly slow to fish out and draw either gun.

When I'm going to be carrying for a considerable length of time, I've found it much more comfortable to use my belt-mounted "buck pocket" external carry case or a lower leg holster for only carrying the BUG. I found a pretty good ankle holster at the NRA's online store that's very comfortable for long-term wear, and you might look into a "Sneaky Pete" belt pack as well. Ya, I know I'm not combat ready to take on the James gang when carrying only a BUG, but having something is certainly better than having nothing.

VIP Member
    Yah, if that statement were true, we'd all be walking around with a shotgun shoved down our pant leg.

Although the point is to encourage the individual to carry as much gun as they can, which is a good thing.

You guys are such babies....you should spend the day in high heels

It's got a grain of truth tho...I avoid heels like the plague!
    WHEC724, OD*, limatunes and 5 others like this.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by ExactlyMyPoint View Post

I really dislike it. To me, it ignores the fact that carrying CAN be painful, and if so, will not be done. The inconvenience I can deal with, but I have, literally, excruciating back pain at times and under those circumstances do not carry. I can't. I can barely move as it is. I have spent a considerable amount of time/energy/effort figuring out workable solutions, but reality is reality and when things become painful, people don't do it.

Don't you think days when you can barely move from pain would be the time you may need a firearm the most?

I don't know your situation, but you are saying that having a j-frame or .380 mousegun is impossible?

While I generally try to carry a full sized handgun, I do realize there are times it is not practical or possible. And that is why I think people should have some sort of BUG style weapon in their collection.

But I do think it is kind of humorous when someone says their S&W 442 is too big, so they are going to go smaller to a LCP. That shows an unwillingness to fully embrace the correct mental attitude of being prepared to defend oneself IMHO. With normal dress and a proper rig, most men should be able to conceal a small-medium handgun without many issues. I mean, when I am wearing my spandex leotard I wear exclusively every day, it gets kind of hard, but I find a way to make it work.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Senior Moderator
    Even so, I think the choice of giving up protection because of a little pain is not the way to go. You need to adjust and figure out a different way and you need to make it a priority. Keep experimenting until you find a solution.

Dead is permanent.

Pain is temporary.
    OD* and Freedom Doc like this.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    Don't you think days when you can barely move from pain would be the time you may need a firearm the most?

I don't know your situation, but you are saying that having a j-frame or .380 mousegun is impossible?

While I generally try to carry a full sized handgun, I do realize there are times it is not practical or possible. And that is why I think people should have some sort of BUG style weapon in their collection.

But I do think it is kind of humorous when someone says their S&W 442 is too big, so they are going to go smaller to a LCP. That shows an unwillingness to fully embrace the correct mental attitude of being prepared to defend oneself IMHO. With normal dress and a proper rig, most men should be able to conceal a small-medium handgun without many issues. I mean, when I am wearing my spandex leotard I wear exclusively every day, it gets kind of hard, but I find a way to make it work.
    I have an LCP that (unfortunately) has become my main carry gun because it is light. Even still, I can still feel it at the end of the day. It is better than nothing, but I oh so wish I could still carry my Glock 26.

I recently purchased a Walther PPS because many have said the thinner frame is easier to carry than a G26. The weight is the same. I JUST got it back from S&W after some warranty work. We shall see.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

I have an LCP that (unfortunately) has become my main carry gun because it is light. Even still, I can still feel it at the end of the day. It is better than nothing, but I oh so wish I could still carry my Glock 26.

I recently purchased a Walther PPS because many have said the thinner frame is easier to carry than a G26. The weight is the same. I JUST got it back from S&W after some warranty work. We shall see.
    If you are still feeling the LCP at the end of the day, could it be a weight distribution issue as opposed to a weight issue?

Personally I find that my carry rig is more comfortable with some spares on the offside to balance out the weight of the gun on the other side. If a load is unbalanced, our body generally tries to compensate for it in an unnatural way, which can cause pain. Just a thought.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Not everyone thinks to go to a physical therapist for back pain, but one helped me a lot when I had a "lumbar sprain." Something degenerative might be different, of course.

Meanwhile, I just can't imagine how a Max Tuck/Super Tuck worn behind the hip would cause the "grating" or impinge on a "love handle" that Eaglebeak describes—UNLESS the pants are being worn too tight. Something to consider.

I hate this expression

Carrying isn't suppose to be comfortable, it's supposed to be "comforting"
    The phrase is rhetorical.

VIP Member

If you're feeling any discomfort, I'd say you're doing something wrong. I usually carry a either a 1911 or Glock in complete comfort, supported by an LCP as a BUG in my right rear pocket. It's so comfortable that I've forgotten to take them off on a visit to the chiropractor (different story, but I discovered that he was an anti ;-).

you should spend the day in high heels
    From what I gather, that can be pretty rough.

As to the OP's note, I've found some extremely IWB and OWB solutions for the SR9c and LC9. The LC9, especially, gives you a running start, given that it has few edges, being mostly rounded. A bit of cant, maybe 15 degrees forward, also helps.

But the most important thing is to have a really good quality holster and belt. With the Mitch Rosen, even the SR9c is remarkably comfortable when walking, sitting, or driving, at around 4 o'clock. Haven't tried a shoulder holster, but they do solve problems if you can find the right design.

Unlike many here, I'm not into the whole "carry always" thing. If it's 8 am and I'm going out to get bagels at the supermarket, I'm probably not packing. Going downtown at night? I'll bring a sidearm. For me, the guns are tools and I bring the tools I think I might need for a given situation.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Senior Moderator
    If it's 8 am and I'm going out to get bagels at the supermarket, I'm probably not packing.
    Around here, thats when you need them the most...
    TN_Mike likes this.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    I'm disabled & live with moderate to severe pain in my back, hips, legs & feet 24/7/365. I agree that at times it can be painful to carry. I personally find carrying my 24/7 ProC 45 in a "trimmed down" CBST at 1:30 has been the most "comforting" way to carry. But, there are times when even this method is tough on me. That's why I have several different carry guns and holster systems.

I can easily where my "back support" belt and still comfortably carry a small pocket pistol all day. I can even carry a small HG on my "back-support" belt under an overshirt.

In this day & age there are so many methods of carry you should find at least a couple that will work for you the majority of time. Say you don't like "Smartcarry" type holsters, so try a bellyband, shoulder holster or fanny pack. (Maybe, a "t" shirt with a built in holster)

The marketplace is plum FULL of different handguns & carry systems. IMHO; If a person can't find something that works, they haven't looked hard enough; OR maybe, they are just looking for an excuse NOT to carry.

-

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    I mean, when I am wearing my spandex leotard I wear exclusively every day, it gets kind of hard, but I find a way to make it work.
    *snicker*

There's so much wrong with this sentence I dont know where to start. lol
    jumpwing, First Sgt and ctr like this.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links