Indiana Work Trip

This is a discussion on Indiana Work Trip within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey guys, I have a couple questions, and before I start, I know I need to check the handgunlaw.us website. I tried to do this ...

Thread: Indiana Work Trip

Indiana Work Trip

Hey guys,

I have a couple questions, and before I start, I know I need to check the handgunlaw.us website. I tried to do this research a week ago and the site is apparently down. I tried again tonight and got the same result. Is anyone else having an issue accessing the site or is it just me?

Anyway, I live in Iowa and next Sunday I will be leaving for 10 days in Indiana. I will be doing some survey/GPS work, 10-12 hour days and alone 100% of the time. I will be collecting GPS data and driving/walking in some very remote areas. I do this kind of work around Iowa and I carry all the time. This is my first time traveling to another state for this type of work and I just wanted to read up on Indiana's laws so I would know what's up and feel more comfortable.

I have read thru some posts on this site by just searching "Indiana" and it sounds like a state with pretty decent laws, however, it would be really nice to read specifics on handgunlaw.us. I will be driving across Illinois as well, and I wanted to read up on that, too!

Could somebody check out the handgunlaw website and see if it works for them and let me know? If the site is down, could someone from Indiana let me know if there are any 'weird' laws that might trip up and out-of-stater?

As for Illinois, what does it take to cross the state legally with a handgun? I think I need to case it up and store it in the back of the Jeep with the ammo in a separate location?

Thanks in advance!

2. Remove Ads

Try this site...hit 'Concealed Carry' near the top of the site...it works and has lots of info!

Concealed Carry, Concealed Carry Reciprocity Maps, Concealed Weapons Permit Info
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Not on school property unless you're dropping someone off, can't even lock it in the vehicle, so if you come across that, careful where you park. Not on Fed Property and not on ACOE property, don't bring it into controlled areas of airports

If you see a sign, concealed is concealed, if asked to leave do so, but they don't hold the weight of law.

No need to must inform, for the most part they tend to appreciate it though.

If you're allowed to OC in Iowa, you can OC in IN, depending upon where you happen to be seems to determine more of where it is "accepted" by the sheep.

We got state pre-emption on July 1 as far as where we can carry as of July 1, you may still see some city parks without dated signs, those signs mean nothing.

Castle Doctrine applies to occupied motor vehicles, if it's empty it doesn't apply.

Here's the local FAQ that's going to cover everythign I left out. INGunOwners FAQs (sticky) - INGunOwners

And here's the section that covers 99% of the laws we need to worry about Indiana Code TITLE 35, Article 47 Table of Contents

Sign up post up there, and try to make it out to meet some of the locals, depending upon where and when you'll be around.

Glock Certified Armorer

Thanks for the help! I used your recommended sites and easily found all of the answers I needed.

hangunlaw.us simply will not open on my pc. I'm at home so things should be wide open (unlike at work where I can't access DC due to 'firearms content'!)

Anyway, I can't help but be curious as to why the site won't open but I guess it doesn't matter as I have the info I need. After reading about the laws I will deal with on my trip, I will assume that somehow my internet service is coming thru the state of Illinois and they are blocking my access.

This brochure should get you through IL. Just don't spend the night or any money there! (I do personally make an exception for an Italian place if you'll be passing through the Toluca or Pontiac area), and if you were thinking Portillios it's worth the wait until you're in Indiana.
    http://www.isp.state.il.us/docs/1-154.pdf

Glock Certified Armorer

Quote Originally Posted by poleclimber9 View Post
    Thanks for the help! I used your recommended sites and easily found all of the answers I needed.

hangunlaw.us simply will not open on my pc. I'm at home so things should be wide open (unlike at work where I can't access DC due to 'firearms content'!)

Anyway, I can't help but be curious as to why the site won't open but I guess it doesn't matter as I have the info I need.
    You might try deleting any old cookies, and possibly reviewing your Internet security settings. If that doesn't work, try a different browser.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Hey came across this today, and thought I'd throw it out there as one more resource, the Indiana State Police FAQ on Carry, questions answers and IC codes interspersed.
    http://www.in.gov/isp/files/firearms_FAQ_02_08.pdf

Glock Certified Armorer

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by canav844 View Post
    If you're allowed to OC in Iowa, you can OC in IN, depending upon where you happen to be seems to determine more of where it is "accepted" by the sheep.
    Are you 100% sure this is accurate? The reason I ask is that I thought your home state permit had to state open carry. I live in OH and OC is allowed with or without your license. CC is allowed only with a license so the license states Concealed Handgun Permit. It is my understanding that I cannot OC in IN.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    Are you 100% sure this is accurate? The reason I ask is that I thought your home state permit had to state open carry. I live in OH and OC is allowed with or without your license. CC is allowed only with a license so the license states Concealed Handgun Permit. It is my understanding that I cannot OC in IN.
    IC 35-47-2-21
    Recognition of retail dealers' licenses and licenses to carry handguns issued by other states
    35-47-2-21 Sec. 21. (a) Retail dealers' licenses issued by other states or foreign countries will
    not be recognized in Indiana except for sales at wholesale.
    (b) Licenses to carry handguns, issued by other states or foreign countries, will be recognized
    according to the terms thereof but only while the holders are not residents of Indiana.
    Here's the exact law, it should clear up any discrepancy better than a non laywer summary of it.

Glock Certified Armorer

Ex Member
    Lock unloaded in the trunk when you cross Illinois. In Indiana you won't have a problem. You CAN open carry if you like but it still raises a few eyebrows so just don't do it. Don't know where you will be working but like most things just keep your eyes open. If you are in a area where every corner has a liquor store, pawn shop, check cashing store, and a cash for gold store keep your eyes open.
    I have lived here 30+ years and only been involved in 3 shootings.......................just kidding.

Links