First CC experience

First CC experience

This is a discussion on First CC experience within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife and I had applied for our CCW permits back in July. Finally, after a long wait, they arrived and we picked them up ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: First CC experience

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar

First CC experience

My wife and I had applied for our CCW permits back in July. Finally, after a long wait, they arrived and we picked them up last week. We don't currently own any handguns and have been trying as many as we can at the range as well as browsing and reading reviews to see what we want. My wife had been leaving towards a Bodyguard .380 but our local range didn't have anything like that. This weekend, on a suggestion from a friend, we borrowed his LCP to try out. We met up in a public place and he handed me the weapon in a small carrying case, which I put in my pocket, where it remained until we went home several hours later, including a stop at the store. This weekend, I also put it in my coat pocket when I went out to do a little bit of shopping. I even went to Wal-mart, though it was too early in the morning for nachos. From the experience, I can say a few things:

1 - I understand what others have said in that you go to a higher state of alertness. You really do become much more aware of those around you. As I was walking around, I made a point of attempting brief eye contact when passing others. It really amazed me how much "in the white zone" everyone around me was. I also get the sense that the general crowd deliberately tries to NOT see you and NOT be aware. It was kind of disturbing.

2 - I didn't feel need of the newbie carry tells, such as constantly touching the weapon to see if it was there. I knew it was and had no trouble keeping my hands off of it. It wasn't uncomfortable to carry.

3 - The idea of having one in the pipe did make me a little bit nervous. I do realize that the things just don't go off and the trigger was covered by the case so that nothing would get caught and pull it, but there was still a little bit of irrational concern about what would happen to me if it did "just go off".

As far as a "range report" on the LCP, we gave it a try this weekend. It proved to be a little too much recoil for my wife. After about 25 rounds, her hands hurt and she had enough, even though she shot pretty well with it. After thinking about it for a while, she decided that she would like something a little bigger and a little heavier, probably in 9mm. While she would be able to use the LCP in an SD situation and it would be good for carry, she decided she would rather have something that she would (and could) practice with. At the moment we are leaning towards a Glock 19 or Glock 26.
    Buckj likes this.

VIP Member
    Congrats on the new permits. You might also want to look at the Kahr CW9 for her. Quality built, smaller than either of the Glocks mentioned, and easy on the hand when shooting it.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Yes I definitely would second that CW9... I currently carry one and being a single stack it carries very well and fits my hand nice😄
    Kimber Pro Carry HD
    Glock 23
    Springfield XD40
    Kahr CW9
    Browning Buckmark 22LR

Congradulations on both of you getting your concealed carry permit. Welcome to the "club."

The LCP is a bit of a handful, my wife carried one until I got her the Ruger LCR. Now that is a nice carry firearm, I suggest you look at one. They come in .38spl and .357 Magnum, have the sweetest trigger pull, come with Hogue grips and is a fairly light revolver. My wife loves hers in .357. Recoil is a tiny bit heavy with the .357 but not enough to keep it from being managable. You won't want to shoot much in a small handgun but for self-defense, it can't be beat. Getting the .357 allows two calibers, you can shoot .38spl in a .357 handgun.

Now I get to carry the LCP as well as my other handguns.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Being new to CC, I echo your statements, except that I feel pretty comfortable with "one in the pipe". I carry a Sig P238 and with the safety on and the trigger covered, I can't imagine how the hammer could drop. I have practiced with some Snap Caps and feel comfortable with the simultaneous draw and safety off movement. BTW, if your wife hasn't tried the P238, it is comfortable and feels nice to shoot all day long. I also have a P3AT and my wife and I can't stand it after 20+ rounds, hence the purchase of the P238. Granted, it sounds good that your wife wants to to go up to a 9mm. Hopefully she will find something that feels good for her to practice with so that she gains confidence in carrying it.
    kira likes this.
    Carry: Sig P238
    Home: Stoeger Couger 8000F 9mm

mrm
    I had a keltec p3at which is basically the same thing as the ruger lcp (the lcp is a little nicer looking) but they feel the same in your hand, my dad bought the gun and shot it and did not like it at all because of the snap (due to the light weight) so he sold to me, I did not mind after I got used to it but there was no way my wife liked it. So I carried it as a BUG for about 2 years and sent it down the road proptly when I got the Bodyguard 380 (holy cow what a wonderful gun to shoot) by the way dont buy for the laser as it is not worth a s___. at all. If you have big enough hands to get the laser on quick you are going to want a bigger gun (good for training tho).

In my opinion only your wife would have to be pretty dedicated to carry the g19 or the g26. they are bigger guns and to go from no gun to a larger one is kindof a jump. I will second odeaar on the P238 if you like the single action only trigger but if not the bodyguard has the safety of the double action trigger and a flip safety as well so the irrational fear of one in the pipe stays in the realm of "irrational".
    "I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."
    - Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Recoil.... Keep in mind that pocket guns, in any caliber, are neither designed nor intended for "range work." Yeah, some folks can put a couple of hundred rounds thru one with no problems, but for most the recoil becomes an issue quickly. That's the price paid for small, light handguns.

I do a lot of warm up with my G30 .22 conversion kit before going with the .45s. The bigger caliber doesn't bother me, the G30 is "soft-shooting" as far as a .45 goes, but the conversion helps me get more trigger time.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I carry a G19 because I think (for me) a gun of that size is easier to handle than something like a P3AT. Yes, it's largish and probably more difficult to conceal for some, but I feel like it's easier and handier to carry a G19 IWB than a P3AT in my pocket. Your mileage may well vary, but carrying any gun is kind of a jump from not carrying at all. If I'm going to bother to carry it around I'm willing to put up with just a bit more hassle to carry something that I feel is easier to handle and shoot, and that for me means a mid to large size pistol. So don't be scared off by the width of a Glock; if you like it, shoot it well and feel comfortable with it you can find a way to carry it. I carry mine year round, even in shorts and a tshirt. A good holster and a good belt let me do this without resorting to giant baggy tshirts or Hawaiin shirts.

Good luck finding a setup that you like.

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Lots of good recommendations here, thank you. It is certainly difficult to choose. We've tried the Kahr CW9 at the range a couple of times. My wife's comment was that she thought that with practice she could get good with it, but shooting it accurately didn't seem to come quite as well with that one. The trigger on the CW9 I thought was interesting. It felt smooth without a real definitive knuckle point, but long. One of the guys at the range has recommended the CW9 a couple of times. The problem with range guns is that they are poorly maintained with a lot of (ab)use, making it more difficult to judge how one would perform versus one that you owned and care for. I am pleased that she is wanting to get something that she will become good with, but do understand the difference between a practice gun and a pure SD gun. I hate to say it, but I think you will only fine the perfect one after you have made a purchase. Just like buying a car I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post
    Lots of good recommendations here, thank you. It is certainly difficult to choose. We've tried the Kahr CW9 at the range a couple of times. My wife's comment was that she thought that with practice she could get good with it, but shooting it accurately didn't seem to come quite as well with that one. The trigger on the CW9 I thought was interesting. It felt smooth without a real definitive knuckle point, but long. One of the guys at the range has recommended the CW9 a couple of times. The problem with range guns is that they are poorly maintained with a lot of (ab)use, making it more difficult to judge how one would perform versus one that you owned and care for. I am pleased that she is wanting to get something that she will become good with, but do understand the difference between a practice gun and a pure SD gun. I hate to say it, but I think you will only fine the perfect one after you have made a purchase. Just like buying a car I suppose.
    What part of the state are you located in? I may be able to put you behind a 19 that isn't range beaten.

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Congrats on the permits, but don't stop there, keep seeking more knowledge, training and experience.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

I carry the Kahr PM9 which is the same size as the CM9. I find it to be the ideal size for concealability for me. I also have the Glock G26 which I occasionally carry but it is a little bulky for my comfort. Both have very manageable recoil and with CT laser sights, very accurate.
    Do what you can, with what you have, where you are at.
    T. Roosevelt

I also recommend the Kahr CW9. Easy to conceal, easy to shoot. You do have to put about 100 to 200 rounds downrange to break it in, but once you do, I find it to be very accurate.

CONGRATS on the permints..and it seems you are figuring it out...it takes time...what type of gun you carry is personal...the main thing is to find the gun you will carry EVERY day...good luck !!

G26 with a Remora Holster. Easy to conceal and I am not a large guy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links