Had a pleasant hospital experience today

This is a discussion on Had a pleasant hospital experience today within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Had to go to a local hospital for a chest x-ray after my doctor's appointment this morning. The x-ray tech asked me to remove my ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By woodstock

Thread: Had a pleasant hospital experience today

Had a pleasant hospital experience today

Had to go to a local hospital for a chest x-ray after my doctor's appointment this morning.

The x-ray tech asked me to remove my shirt. I'd anticipated this, so had chosen the paddle holster this morning.

The young lady wasn't phased when I put the holster on the chair with my other things. Then I wondered what now when she left saying she had to check the images. That's when I expected the MWAG call. But she returned, alone, and sent me on my way.

This particular hospital isn't posted and I've cc'ed there before. Didn't know exactly what to expect, but this was the best possible scenario.
    Firearm.Fan.Girl likes this.
    The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.

George Washington

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Like her, I'm not too particularly concerned about a gun that's not pointed at me.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

GM
    It sounds very good to me .
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

VIP Member
    That's the nice thing about VA, hospitals are not off limits. The most they can do is ask you to leave.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I am not concerned about someone who handles the gun safely and has adviced me he will be removing it for the test or whatever he is there for.

As it should be.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Almost as good as my hospital experience Sunday morning. I woke up at 0530 in so much pain I didn't even think about or put my gun on for the trip to the hospital. And I don't go anywhere without my gun. After Zofran, Toradol and Dilaudid for my first official kidney stone, I was in great spirits!
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

You mean she didn't run out of the room screaming in fear for her life? LOL!

Sounds like you have a level headed nurse working for a gun friendly hospital. Congrats! I wish more encounters would turn out like yours.
    "He who does not punish evil commands it to be done." - Leonardo da Vinci

The most they can do is ask you to leave.

Administrator
    So was the holster empty?
    "Just blame Sixto"

Hey Paramedic

Really hope you're feeling better. A long time ago I was in for relatively minor surgery and the other occupant of the room (military hospital in Pensacola, NO private rooms for enlisted) had a kidney stone(s). His didn't pass and he had it surgically removed. I remember how pitiful he sounded with the pain he was in, and nothing I could do to make him more comfortable.

On a lighter note, and being a medical professional you'll appreciate this, a friend had surgery in a military hospital. They "color coded" the patients' sheets to indicate pre- or post-op. He woke up at night in Recovery with pink sheets and he couldn't move his hand that was laying on his abdomen. He thought he was bleeding and paralyzed and screamed like a girl until staff came in. When they heard, they told him the color code and then lifted the surgical glove they'd used as an ice pack on his incision.
    Last edited by woodstock; November 2nd, 2011 at 02:50 PM. Reason: Include Title
    The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.

George Washington

Glad you live in an area where the hosptals are not posted! All of the ones around here, along with most doctor's offices are posted and signs do have force of law in Ohio. You can't just "ignore" them like in some states unless you want to run the risk of losing your license.

My wife had a really bad headache all day Saturday which kept getting worse as the day progressed, along with some other disturbing symptoms. I ended up taking her to urgent care, who then sent her by ambulance to the hospital emergency room for further testing (they were concerned about a stroke). Luckily, I had disarmed before we left home. I hate to leave the house unarmed, but I didn't want to leave it in the gun safe in my truck in a dark parking lot for hours and hours (anticipating what would occur if we had to go to the hospital). Everything turned out OK and we got home several hours later and I rearmed. I really hate go unarmed! I feel naked! I envy people who live in states that don't have posting laws as strict as Ohio's. Of course, I consider myself lucky I don't live in the people's republic of Illinois!
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Re: ...hosptals are not posted...

Quote Originally Posted by JDE101 View Post
    Glad you live in an area where the hosptals are not posted! All of the ones around here, along with most doctor's offices are posted and signs do have force of law in Ohio. You can't just "ignore" them like in some states unless you want to run the risk of losing your license.

My wife had a really bad headache all day Saturday which kept getting worse as the day progressed, along with some other disturbing symptoms. I ended up taking her to urgent care, who then sent her by ambulance to the hospital emergency room for further testing (they were concerned about a stroke). Luckily, I had disarmed before we left home. I hate to leave the house unarmed, but I didn't want to leave it in the gun safe in my truck in a dark parking lot for hours and hours (anticipating what would occur if we had to go to the hospital). Everything turned out OK and we got home several hours later and I rearmed. I really hate go unarmed! I feel naked! I envy people who live in states that don't have posting laws as strict as Ohio's. Of course, I consider myself lucky I don't live in the people's republic of Illinois!
    Glad your wife is better and that it wasn't a stroke. That's scary. Some of the hospitals nearby are posted, and we don't go there. The hospital in my county, Culpeper, is posted. We don't go there unless there's absolutely no other choice; wife had a bad care experience there once and won't go back, even though it was mainly the orthopedic doctor on call rather than the hospital. Funny story - she was called for jury duty and he was the defendant that day! She was dismissed...

The next county's hospital, Fauquier (faw KEER, not what you might think!) is a much better place and not posted. Wife even drove past Culpeper to reach Fauquier when daughter broke her collar bone, and the time difference was negligilbe the way wife drives... None of our doctor's offices are posted either, but I haven't had to disarm in them yet.

George Washington

Links