Defensive Carry banner

Wisconsin CCW Permit Time...Keep us posted!

461K views 4K replies 397 participants last post by  sdprof 
#1 ·
I know this is day one for submitting applications, but why not start a thread to see just how long WI takes to review, background check, and issue CCW permits. If you get ANY action, post it, and keep it going to the top. Wisconsin, boldly going where only 48 other states have gone before!

#643 ·
Yes and yes 4 hours and range time required Included with the training all cost except your ammo. Can even rent guns there to try out. Many to chose from including sub-machine guns. Quite a kick but lots of 45 cal ammo to LOL

#645 ·
MN permit takes about 5 days you go to ANY sheriffs office for that. Florida i think is up to 60 days but not sure. think the entire cost for all certs and forms is about $125 for training $100 for MN CC lic and not sure about Florina CC cost but you can get that info from Handgunlaw.us

#647 ·
I have to retake the training for my MN CC renewal (not like WI) have to retest every 5 years but CC lic is only about 50 the next time around. Maybe we could but together a group of 10 or so from WI for training at same time and get a nice group discount at Bills? Ask them about that if your going to call. Or i will if you prefer.

#649 ·
BS

Ok so this is the first time I am going to complain about this but why are people who mailed there's on the 8 and 9 th getting there permits already, i mailed mine on the 7th and haven't been expecting that speedy of a turn around because there is people from the first still waiting. but cmon if people who mailed them that much later are getting there's. I live on the west side of Madison not to far from the doj I do agree calling and complaining wont get s@@W# done but I am getting tired of waiting. not to mention I have now on two occasions heard gun shots in the distance (not fire works), I have hunted and been in military I know what they sound like. have heard some fire works as well. it gets me leery. And I would like the doj to hurry up!!!

#650 ·
Not seeing an upside, only seeing a person getting taken away from processing to research something that won't do the person any good anyway.

I don't get why people who are upset with how long its taking, want to do things that will take time away from the people working to get the permits out.

Do I wish mine was here? Heck yeah.
Am I going to bug the people at the DOJ so they stop working on processing applications, to answer my questions? No

They have 45 days by law, it obviously hasn't gone as smoothly as everyone including the DOJ would like. But it is what it is, and as much as it sucks, nagging the employees at the DOJ isn't going to speed things along.[/QUOTE]

I've been following this thread since the beginning and have to agree that harrassing the DOJ staff will accomplish nothing except to cause more delays.

Application and Postal money order mailed Nov 7
Still waiting

#655 ·
Mailed on the 3rd
Check cashed on 15th
Received - Luke warm cup o squat

People are posting permit numbers at almost 20K

While I AM pieved at later applications being processed sooner, it still just looks like they keep adding to the top of 'a pile' of applications and they never seem to get to the bottom ones here.
Harrasing them about status will just make one more application not get processed that day - looks like they are hitting about 1000-1500 a day based on the permit numbers posted.

Just a waiting game - time is on our side now - we have waited for hardest or longest time.... the 1st 25-30 of the 45 days.
:blink:

#656 ·
I posted that same thought back several weeks ago and was chastised (just a bit) for my lack of empathy. Still think it's true. Still believe it's MIS-MANAGEMENT to the power of 10X

Here is that post:
Constitutes mismanagement in MHO. But I do agree "as I Said" thy are doing better than I expected.

All they needed to do was have one clerk to keep them in "REASONABLE" order of receipt. and hand them out to the teams in order in small batches which could be dealt with based on the teams skill levels or staffing.

#658 ·
Not that I want this to take longer (if that is possible)... but I would love to see the news reports of ~20-30k app / month for most of next year!

#664 ·
Mailed 11/4
Check Deposited 11/16
Posted 11/17

Checked mail and NOTHING!, NADA, ZILCH!!!
This is starting to annoy the #*%& out me.
This is classic governmental BS of biblical proportion!
For those who have gotten theirs I'm very happy for you I truly am!
So I will sit patiently and hope Friday will bring the permit.
And yet in the back of my mind I wonder if it has already been mailed out and is lost.

#665 ·
mailed 11/4
check deposited 11/16
posted 11/17

checked mail and nothing!, nada, zilch!!!
This is starting to annoy the #*%& out me.
This is classic governmental bs of biblical proportion!
For those who have gotten theirs i'm very happy for you i truly am!
So i will sit patiently and hope friday will bring the permit.
And yet in the back of my mind i wonder if it has already been mailed out and is lost.
same here!!

#671 ·
Mailed: 11/08/11
Check Deposited: 11/21/11
Check Cashed: 11/22/11
Permit Issued: 12/05/11
Permit Received: 12/08/11
Permit Number: 19*** :yup:
Mailed 4 days after mine
Check deposited 6 days after mine
Check deposited 5 days after my wifes
Check cashed 6 days after mine
Check cashed 5 days after my wife's
PERMIT ISSUED WHO KNOWS
WIFES PERMIT ISSUED WHO KNOWS
PERMIT RECEIVED YEA RIGHT
WIFES PERMIT RECEIVED YEA RIGHT
PERMIT NUMBER GUESS 25***
WIFES PERMIT NUMBER GUESS 22***
HANDLED IN ORDER RECEIVED IN A GOOD SYSTEM NOT THIS ONE!!!!!

#669 ·
Maybe just maybe when day 45 arrives for the 1st group of applicants whom have yet to receive there permits I hope the DOJ phone lines melt! I also hope the anti gun group "media" jumps all over this! The earlier post of the State worker who claimed that the temps who only type 20 words a minute will be slower than the worker who types 40 or 60 words a minute!? What kind of hog wash is that!! You expect me to believe that the State hires Temps who can't type to do just that TYPE! So with the unemployment rate in the state as it is the State DOJ hires people who cant type! Next they will say the good typers are licking stamps!! Still does not resolve the first in first out policy! How about the background checks? That by the DOJ admission is done by phone only after the checks are posted. I was posted on the 17th, many applicants prior to me as well. I'm to accept mabe these people using the phone talk rrrrreeeeaaalll sllllloooowww!!! All I ask is the DOJ not treat us as a collective group of idiots or children!! DONT LIE!!! Admit you dropped the ball and are over whelmed. There I feel much better!

#670 ·
maybe just maybe when day 45 arrives for the 1st group of applicants whom have yet to receive there permits i hope the doj phone lines melt! I also hope the anti gun group "media" jumps all over this! The earlier post of the state worker who claimed that the temps who only type 20 words a minute will be slower than the worker who types 40 or 60 words a minute!? What kind of hog wash is that!! You expect me to believe that the state hires temps who can't type to do just that type! So with the unemployment rate in the state as it is the state doj hires people who cant type! Next they will say the good typers are licking stamps!! Still does not resolve the first in first out policy! How about the background checks? That by the doj admission is done by phone only after the checks are posted. I was posted on the 17th, many applicants prior to me as well. I'm to accept mabe these people using the phone talk rrrrreeeeaaalll sllllloooowww!!! All i ask is the doj not treat us as a collective group of idiots or children!! Dont lie!!! Admit you dropped the ball and are over whelmed. There i feel much better!
exactly!!

#673 ·
UPDATE:

Just got back from getting the mail. Here are the stats:

11/2: Wife and I mail at the same time from same place.
11/14: Both our checks were cashed.
12/1: Wife Got hers. Issued 11/25 Permit # 14xxx
12/8: FINALLY.... got it! Issued 12/5 Permit # 19xxx

Currently back at my office with my Ruger SR9C holstered on my hip.

#691 ·
Another day come and gone....another permit-free day.

Mailed Nov 1st

Check cashed Nov 8th

Blah, blah, blah.

CONGRATS, Lake Effect. I've been watching your posts. It must feel great to have your sidearm on you at work now! I wish the same feeling could be bestowed on the rest of us who are waiting.

Maybe tomorrow. Blah, blah, blah.

Broken record.

#675 ·
Someone needs to give the rest of us that have not received there permits some real answers. Not be patient its not the processing department fault. This is flat out bs and needs to be addressed as to why! they should be able to start a website for checking on process or look a individual up application Is this how the process criminal complaints in this state? SOMEONE GIVE ME THE ANSWER!!!!!!!

#683 ·
AGREED! considering were paying the State of Wisconsin to lie to us thus far! To date for the new folks, We have been told first in first out= Lies
Blame the temps they hired, slow typers= Lies, why hire someone to type if they cant type?? Oh yea thats right "state worker".
Complete lack of accountability! They cashed the check, they careless
The more screw ups means work has to be redone= Job Security

#682 ·
Same here.
mailed 11/1
cashed 11/14

FWIW... there was 3,000 "rejected" applications, not 3,000 "denials". Huge huge differance. A rejected app means it was filled out incorrectly, was incomplete, training was not sufficient, address doesn't match DMV records, or there was no $50 enclosed. Most common cause of "rejection" I've seen posted has beed forgeting the affirmation form if using another state's CWL to fulfill training and wrong address at DMV. All the rejections get all forms returned, and check returned too, and are given another address to re-send to, after corrections are made. If your check was already cashed, your app was not rejected.

A "denial" OTOH, means you failed the background check and are not legally qualified to have a CWL for cause.... and you do not get your money back after your check was cashed. Checks are only cashed after app is received and accepted as correct & complete, and training is good. Only then do you proceed to background check system. But they are required by the law to send a denial letter before your deadline, and it MUST contain the specific reason(s) you were denied, and the data to back it up. You can then, if you believe they are wrong, file an appeal in your local court. If you are right and DOJ was wrong, DOJ MUST pay all court costs and YOUR attorney fees, and promptly issue your CWL.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.