Defensive Carry banner

Wisconsin CCW Permit Time...Keep us posted!

461K views 4K replies 397 participants last post by  sdprof 
#1 ·
I know this is day one for submitting applications, but why not start a thread to see just how long WI takes to review, background check, and issue CCW permits. If you get ANY action, post it, and keep it going to the top. Wisconsin, boldly going where only 48 other states have gone before!

#743 ·
FWIW, I'm convinced the DOJ knows they or someone dropped the ball. They are taking the steps to try and for a lack of a better term damage control. I don't think calling will get to many honest answers other some have been buried. The best answer they can do at this point is to say call back at your 45 day point. The screw up took place when the person took the applications and put them at the BG check. they must have put day's maybe a weeks worth on top of ours which would explain the large gaps. So for now the only answer were going to hear is 45 day. The other answers are perfume on poop.

#747 ·
Another day that 22 and I so pissed off that now I'm not even waiting to see the mailman anymore, counting the days to file a complaint and whatever it takes will get to the bottom of this! I will call them everyday and let them now the count. If that takes someone out of the processing line screw it, its so ass backwards to begin with.

#750 ·
So I called again and asked what was going on? A very nice lady stated there was no such thing as first come first served and I would have to wait until 45 day mark. They also stated that I had to provide proof of when it was received. Then when I told here it was going on 22 days she asked if that included weekend and holidays. I asked if they are working or mailing on weekend. She stated that there was no one working on Saturday and she thought there was no mailing on Friday also. Then she proceed to tell me that there was no process in place for anyone going beyond 45 days and that you would have to proved information on who you are and then the process of finding your application could take 3-6 days before it starts to get reviewed. OMG I wonder how the criminal's process there concealed carry application, my guess is its less red ******* tape.

#752 ·
DON'T LET THIS LADY GET TO YOU! Page one of the application clearly stated that the applications will be first in first out. did you happen to get her name? No process for anything beyond 45 days? The law madates that they have to be done within that time frame. As far as mailing goes the longest it should take is 3 days. They deposited your check you have proof of that, the burden of proof is on them.. This lady was blowing alot of sunshine up your tail pipe! I'd lodge a formal complaint.

#755 ·
Just back from checking mail box, NOTHING FROM DOJ.
Mailed 11/4
Deposited 11/16
Posted to my account 11/17

LIKE SAND THROUGH AN HOUR GLASS!!
I AM NOT A HAPPY CAMPER!!
I'm frustrated over the fact that were getting the shaft and when we question the powers that be, "WERE BEING TOLD sSOMETHING DIFFERENT DAILY" ENOUGH ALREADY!!!!
I'm not Harvard educated but I've been around the block enough to see a shafting of EPIC perportions.

#757 ·
i think if your check cleared that should count as acceptance by the doj you are legal to do so and you should be allowed to carry from that point. You think leo would accept my check as proof?
no, that only means you filled out the application correctly.. Don't give them sob's the satisfaction of locking you up, going to court paying a fine and kissing away any chance of getting approved in wi or any other state.

#759 ·
First the department of justice stated:

1. First in first out, page one of application.
2. Than stated underestimated volume of mail.
3. Than stated under staffed.
4. Than stated some temp office workers doj hired type slower than others. (***?)
5. Than admitted applications were "buried"
6. Than stated they don't process first in first out.
7. Than stated there is no formal process for us after the mandated 45 days.

This is some kind of justice were getting from "our state department of justice"!!!!!

#767 ·
It's been 14 days since my wife got her permit and I don't have mine yet. We mailed them in on the 2nd. checks cleared same day.
I called Pam Gallaways office to see it any other complaints have been made and the nice gentleman in her office said I was only the 2nd complaint that was made about the length of time it has been taking to get the permits.
I think some more voters should be contacting their reps about this. He did tell me when my 45 days has expired to call back and they will call DOJ and see whats up.

#775 ·
Happy Dance Permit

Happy Happy Dance!!!!
Mailed 11/3 from Sussex Post Office
Check Cashed 11/15
Permit issued 12/5
Received in Appleton 12/9
Permit low 20XXX

Not that I wanted to wait 5 weeks but now that I recieved it the wait seems much less painful. To Wisc DOJ's credit, I mailed my Utah permit one week prior to mailing the Wisc Permit and have yet to recieve anything from Utah other then Utah cashing my check one week earlier then Wisc and yes I mailed it prior to Nov 1st so my Utah Training class would count, apps mailed to Utah after Nov 1st require a Wisc Permit first. Yes I was anxious and annoyed every day when it failed to show but Wisc DOJ in it's first month issued a permit faster then Utah, a State with an established system. For those of you mailing on Nov 1st with nothing, I still think that's wrong.

Hang in there..... Looks like most of us will have our 2nd Ammendment right back this month.

#781 ·
Happy Happy Dance!!!!
Mailed 11/3 from Sussex Post Office
Check Cashed 11/15
Permit issued 12/5
Received in Appleton 12/9
Permit low 20XXX

Not that I wanted to wait 5 weeks but now that I recieved it the wait seems much less painful. To Wisc DOJ's credit, I mailed my Utah permit one week prior to mailing the Wisc Permit and have yet to recieve anything from Utah other then Utah cashing my check one week earlier then Wisc and yes I mailed it prior to Nov 1st so my Utah Training class would count, apps mailed to Utah after Nov 1st require a Wisc Permit first. Yes I was anxious and annoyed every day when it failed to show but Wisc DOJ in it's first month issued a permit faster then Utah, a State with an established system. For those of you mailing on Nov 1st with nothing, I still think that's wrong.

Hang in there..... Looks like most of us will have our 2nd Ammendment right back this month.
I waited 13 days for a MN CWL. I waited 32 days for a FL CWL. Tomorrow will be day #40 of waiting for a WI CWL (not to mention waiting all my life to get a law passed here), and still no end in sight. Not too happy with WI's DOJ right now. If I applied for a MN permit on the same day as I applied for a WI, and applied for another MN permit on the day of receiving the 1st, then again upon receiving the 2nd, etc.... I'd have 3 in my pocket right now, and I'd be mailing in for my 4th tomorrow (which would also likely show up before my WI does). Yet others can send in days, weeks, after I did, and they got them back. What's to like about WI's DOJ's handling of this? It's been just fine for some... if I mailed days after others and got mine weeks before them, I wouldn't be complaining much. But for others, it has sucked big time for the same reason the "later" people are happy. How about doing them in order and making everybody equally happy.

#776 ·
feelin bad for those still waitin'

Altho I did receive my permit in 29 days from mailing it in I still sympathize with the folks still waiting. I am not a real patient person by nature and was getting a little
perturbed at the wait. I too was thinking its lost or rejected, or some kind of foul play had been used. Sneakin up on the mail box didn't help either. Only thing I can tell you guys is try to be patient as possible, it will happen for you too. Convince yourself you don't care when it comes and then **** happens.

good luck to all who wait

gone huntin'
(with one lab)

#778 ·
App mailed on November 3rd
Check cashed on November 18th
No joy.

#779 ·
Another day and nothing.

I have contacted my state representative and he is looking into this. Mind you, he has an R after his name and not a D, so hopefully something will come of his inquiry. I referred him to this specific thread to alert him of the problems we are having with receiving our permits in a timely manner.

#782 ·
Day 34. Utterly Disgusted. Part of the group that had checks posted than our applications vanished! No reasonable explanation given, don't know if it was mailed out and lost. No one to go to get help, just have to wait until day 45 resubmit proof that it was sent in. Than wait for them to research. I can only hope that some of our lawmakers are reading our posts. Come election time I will remember this.
Late 0ct purchased pistol 5 mins passed bg check
Nov purchased Carbine passed check in 5 mins
Last year bought shotgun no problems ever.
Obtained carriers permit in P.A. last year got it in 20 days!

#783 ·
Calm down...

We have been waiting for cow for years, and now some can't wait a couple of months? Get over it! I'm sure all of the calls are NOT going to speed up the process for the rest of us at all.

Sent 11/1
Check posted 11/14
Check cleared 11/15
... and nothing as of 12/9.

Take a deep breath and relax people!!!

#784 ·
We have been waiting for cow for years, and now some can't wait a couple of months? Get over it! I'm sure all of the calls are NOT going to speed up the process for the rest of us at all.

Sent 11/1
Check posted 11/14
Check cleared 11/15
... and nothing as of 12/9.

Take a deep breath and relax people!!!
Its not so much the wait as it is people who sent apps long after us and getting their permits first. I have a hard time getting over that.

#786 ·
Quote Originally Posted by magic4833 View Post
“So I called again and asked what was going on? A very nice lady stated there was no such thing as first come first served and I would have to wait until 45 day mark.”

Below taken from the Wisconsin CCW application form:

"Application Processing: Completed application packets will be processed in the order they were received. Upon completion of the background investigation, if it is determined you meet the criteria established by law, your license will be mailed to you. Due to confidentiality requirements, the status of your application may not be checked by telephone."

So there should be no valid reason some many that sent applications on the 1st or shortly after should still be waiting since many that applied later already have their permit.

Seems someone didn't read the process that they were to follow.........

Reactions: WD54241 and rstanek
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.