Wisconsin CCW Permit Time...Keep us posted!

This is a discussion on Wisconsin CCW Permit Time...Keep us posted! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by pps 5. How long is the 45 day period good for?, i.e. the first Month only? If I understand #5 correctly, this ...

Page 25 of 297 FirstFirst ... 152122232425262728293575125 ... LastLast
Like Tree2174Likes

Thread: Wisconsin CCW Permit Time...Keep us posted!

Quote Originally Posted by pps View Post
    5. How long is the 45 day period good for?, i.e. the first Month only?
    If I understand #5 correctly, this is actually answered in the law itself.

The 45 day grace period is only good for permits received during the month of November. Applications received December 1st and beyond must be issued with in 21 days.

2. Remove Ads

That would be ok if they went out in order of received as they state don their website before they posted the applications. but they are not doing that.
    I agree. I haven't received my permit yet either. I mailed it out on the 1st and I'm irritated to say the least. But I want to make one point.

The statement on their website (I believe a similar statement is also on the application but I can't remember) is just that -- a statement. It's not law. Therefore, if my permit was received on November 1st, they don't have to open the envelope until the 45th day as long as they can have it processed and issued by the end of day. What I mean to say is...... we really have no leg to stand on until we reach that 45 day mark.

pps
    Quote Originally Posted by trip20 View Post
    If I understand #5 correctly, this is actually answered in the law itself.

The 45 day grace period is only good for permits received during the month of November. Applications received December 1st and beyond must be issued with in 21 days.
    thank you for the answers but we are going to have the DOJ answer them, we left a message with the Administrator to answers those questions for us to get him on record.

thank you for the answers but we are going to have the DOJ answer them, we left a message with the Administrator to answers those questions for us to get him on record.
    I don't know how much more on record you can get than the actual wording from Act 35 -- State Law, ratified by our legislators and the Governor:

(9) PROCESSING OF APPLICATION. (a) Upon receiving
    an application submitted under sub. (7), the department
    shall conduct a background check.
    (b) Within 21 days after receiving a complete
    application under sub. (7), the department shall do one of
    the following:
    1. Issue the license and promptly send the licensee his
    or her license document by 1st class mail.
    2. Deny the application, but only if sub. (3) (a), (b),
    (c), (d), (e), (f), or (g) applies to the applicant. If the
    department denies the application, the department shall
    inform the applicant in writing, stating the reason and
    factual basis for the denial.

(2) Notwithstanding section 175.60 (9) (b) of the statutes,
    as created by this act, beginning on the effective date
    of this subsection and ending on the first day of the 5th
    month beginning after the effective date of this subsection,
    the department of justice shall, as soon as practicable and
    without delay, but no longer than 45 days, after
    receiving a complete application under section 175.60
    (7) of the statutes, as created by this act, for a license to
    carry a concealed weapon, do one of the following:
    (a) Issue the license and promptly send the licensee
    his or her license document by 1st class mail.
    (b) Deny the application, but only if section 175.60
    (3) (a), (b), (c), (d), (e), (f), or (g) of the statutes, as created
    by this act, applies to the applicant. If the department
    denies the application, the department shall inform the
    applicant in writing, stating the reason and factual basis
    for the denial.
    But good luck getting a response from the DOJ.

pps
    I don't know how much more on record you can get than the actual wording from Act 35 -- State Law, ratified by our legislators and the Governor:
    But good luck getting a response from the DOJ.
    Thank you, but we do not want to argue with you, we want them to answer, they might have a different interpretation of the law, they did when it came to training..for all we know they implemented another Safety rule like intensive background checks needed on certain individuals or who knows what, but we are seeking answers from them.

If you do not wish to support our efforts that is fine. No need to be rude.
    magic4833 likes this.

pps
    I agree. I haven't received my permit yet either. I mailed it out on the 1st and I'm irritated to say the least. But I want to make one point.

The statement on their website (I believe a similar statement is also on the application but I can't remember) is just that -- a statement. It's not law. Therefore, if my permit was received on November 1st, they don't have to open the envelope until the 45th day as long as they can have it processed and issued by the end of day. What I mean to say is...... we really have no leg to stand on until we reach that 45 day mark.
    Not so, thats like to say we had no leg to stand on when they implemented the 4 Hour Training rule, people complained and it changed back..

So you are making an assumption that is not so..We do have the power to change or monitor what is going on..

pps
    Good news..The DOJ called me back, out of the office, I will call them back and let everyone know what is going on hopefully :)
    Michael walker
    Director
    WCCR

pps

WCCR Talks to Administrator Brain O'keffe today about Delays in the DOJ Processing

Michael Walker
    Director WCCR

Ok, I was able to Interview the Administrator of the DOJ for the division of Law Enforcement Services at the DOJ, Brain O'Keefe I was on the phone with this gentleman for 40 minutes. I had all of our questions written out ahead of time and got them all answered.

1. Do they the licenses go out everyday? Mr. O'Keefe "Yes they go out everyday except Sunday.

2. Did they work Thanksgiving Week? Yes they worked everyday except thanksgiving day.

3. How many people do you have working the program? 1 Full time and 10 Limited time employees. More are being interviewed and hired hopefully with legislative support

4. Are they the applications processed on a first come first served basis? "Yes in a way" they are opened that way, they are checked out then processed accordingly.

5. How do you plan on Tracking people after the 45 days are passed and they heard nothing? You can call and they will take your info and get back to you by mail, no application info will be given over the phone..they will contact you by mail.

Mr. Okeffe went on to explain the process to me.

Basically, they are opened up to make sure the Application is filled out correctly and the training is good, then they cash your check.

Then they do a handgun hotline check same people that do the handgun hotline checks

Then if your name pops up nothing you go into processing is what it is called, your license is approved and then print then mailed.

If your name pops up another with similar name with problems they have to send you to research.. this is not just Wisconsin Research it is US wide..all states that can report. They have to wait to hear back.

It is the exact same Check as when you by a Handgun...

I.E. I just purchased a Handgun on November 6th 2011, picked it up on November 09 my Handgun Hotline was approved, he stated that I would have no problem getting my license just had to wait.

This to me is the major problem right now with the system, the Handgun Hotline people are behind..

Mr Okeefe is trying to seek Legislative approval for more full time employees, it appears they are a little overwhelmed and who would not be with only 10 people, he stated he is also pulling people from other departments to work on this.

I also asked the question if they are on track for the 45 days period and he stated they are..he is not sure about December that is why they are trying to hire more personal.

He stated JB and the DOJ has always been an advocate of concealed carry for Wisconsin. and they are doing their best and it took alot of time getting personal and computers and equipment and so forth to set this up, I indicated alot of folks felt you people had more than enough time, and he stated it is more involved then what most know.

He called me back in less than 2.5 hours, to me that is great, and a very kind gentleman and not at all deceptive or reserved. They know people are frustrated, and I stated hopefully with this info it will clam down the phone calls.

the problem is the background checks with people with familiar names US Wide, and the research they have to do to double check it, when before you would have one person just sitting there dedicated to your name when you purchased a handgun, this is not the case now with the overload, as we know one gentleman had to wait 5 days to get his background check back when he purchased a hand gun recently this month.

Ok, now if there is a question you feel I did not get answered please post and I will do my best to answer it as I have alot of notes from his phone call to me. to stay update visit our Facebook page or Yahoo groups

Michael walker
    Director
    WCCR (Wisconsin Concealed Carry Reform)
    carryconcealed@groups.facebook.com you can post to the group by just emailing
    wisconsinconcealedcarryreform : Wisconsin Concealed Carry Reform

My check has not been cashed, I have received no letter from DOJ rejecting my application, I've heard nothing. Mailed on 11-4 from PO in Menomonee Falls. Thanks for contacting Mr. O'keefe. He is a gentelman, I knew him when he was a Homicide Detective for MPD.

Thank you, Michael Walker for making the call and getting answers. I, too am in the same boat as several others. Mailed Nov 1st, check cashed Nov 8th. Still no permit. Bought a handgun from a major retailer a month and a half ago, no problems, had approval within the hour. I was getting very frustrated with the process, but with these answers can understand it a little better. I do know there is a felon out there that has a similar name as mine, since I usually get delayed when purchasing a firearm. But, as my check was cashed more than 20 days ago, I figured that was more than sufficient time to dig deeper into my background check. I realize now that they have MANY to do like mine. The only thing I can do is continue to wait. I hope your question and answer session with the director satisfies applicant's questions, and they individually do not call down there. Let them process applications, not answer phones. That HAS to speed it up a bit.

Mail has come and gone nothing again. So I called the DOJ and asked a couple of questions. The woman who answered the phone was less than pleased to give any information on CWP process she did say in a rude manner that application are processed as received. She stated that if your application was in the first 10000 you got your application processed more quickly, If you are in the second it will take much longer and hung up the phone on me. This is how the DOJ operates? Here is the number 608-266-1221

This state is so slow. 21 days and counting

Quote Originally Posted by wheelswagz View Post
    My app sent: Nov 1

Check cashed: Nov 14

Permit: None/still waiting.

So still some Nov 1st apps out there that haven't been received. "Logic" would dictate that all the Nov 1st apps should be received before Nov 2nd, then Nov 3rd, etc. Right????
    WooHoo!!

My App sent: Nov 1
    Check Cashed: Nov 14
    Permit: Issued 11/28/2011 & Received 11/30/2011. Number 147xx.

Thank you, but we do not want to argue with you, we want them to answer, they might have a different interpretation of the law, they did when it came to training..for all we know they implemented another Safety rule like intensive background checks needed on certain individuals or who knows what, but we are seeking answers from them.

If you do not wish to support our efforts that is fine. No need to be rude.
    I wasn't trying to be rude, nor was I trying to argue. I was trying to point you to the law which contains information such as the formula for calculating the dates you desire.

I'm glad to see you got a prompt response from the DOJ. Clearly you're not calling the generic number we are when encountering rude employees sick of getting calls/complaints. Unfortunately though, the recollection of your discussion really doesn't answer any questions I have. Keep up the good work though -- God knows we need this process reformed.

Mailman come and went NOTHING.

What if you are denied for something that has nothing to do with criminal activities, like me forgetting to put a past name from 25 years ago (and forgot about) on the application, then you have to appeal does that put you at the bottom of the pile AGAIN?

I called and asked that question and was told that if you do get a denial notice there is a different address that you need to send the letter back to with whatever it is you need to correct.

Quote Originally Posted by kathie63 View Post
    I called and asked that question and was told that if you do get a denial notice there is a different address that you need to send the letter back to with whatever it is you need to correct.
    I've read a few accounts of this exact process you describe. So from what I can tell, what the DOJ employee conveyed to you is true. This is good since it means we're not thrown back in some huge pile if we are in fact denied for incomplete application criteria.

Links