Wisconsin CCW Permit Time...Keep us posted!

This is a discussion on Wisconsin CCW Permit Time...Keep us posted! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Sent: 11/2 Check: 11/14 Permit: Still Nothing...

Page 27 of 296 FirstFirst ... 172324252627282930313777127 ... LastLast
Like Tree2174Likes

Thread: Wisconsin CCW Permit Time...Keep us posted!

Sent: 11/2
    Check: 11/14
    Permit: Still Nothing

2. Remove Ads

mailed 11-16
    check cleared 11-23
    no permit yet

Quote Originally Posted by kathie63 View Post
    My husbands sent 11/2, check cashed 11/14, received ccp 11/17 #67xx
    So why the difference in yours and his?
    Luck on my end and even more luck on his end. Also, my proof was a military discharge using the alternate form (my original was destroyed and I obtained a replacement). Maybe they opened my envelope and had to confirm the discharge taking a little longer?

Also, the background check takes about 9 seconds depending on how busy they are. I go to a small FFL. The bigger places probably take close to an hour just cause they do not get to it immediately and charge you more to boot. Pete charges me $33, with the recent $5 increase and he calls as soon as I get there. If I don't chat with him for a bit afterward, I'm in and out in about 4 minutes.

I think the difference stems from a lack of experience with suck a huge work load. It took 25 days to get my check cashed which is crazy compared to others, but I consider myself lucky since many of the ppl that have gotten their checks cashed weeks before me still haven't received their permit.

Oh, BTW, according to my permit, it was issued the same day as check being cashed, 11/25. But this might be due to the above "proof" speculation. Well, looking on the bright side, that is 2 weeks later I have to renew!
    magic4833 likes this.

pps
    Michael

As I mentioned in our conversation, the system sorts names with no hits, and they can be approved rapidly. This is still done on a date received basis, but could result in an application received a few days later being processed ahead of one requiring research, but received earlier. The oldest do not go to the bottom; we still process the applications by the date received. Each dates mail bundles are kept in separate bins for both initial review and data entry. There is no “pile method.”

Unfortunately for those who are waiting, we received almost 30,000 applications in the first week. Our staff is working diligently to quickly and accurately process all of the applications received in this initial wave as well as the 10,000 handgun hotline calls we received this month. Patience will be required as this new program is implemented. Many of the initial logistical issues will have been resolved in the first 6 months and IT efficiencies we are working on should make the process much easier and more efficient for applicants in the future.

Take care,

Brian R. O'Keefe

Administrator

Wisconsin Department of Justice

Division of Law Enforcement Services

LC9
    Hello. I was wondering what sort of timelines you were all looking at so I figured I'd share mine.

I have a friend in MKE that sent his on 11/1, and he posted that he got his permit in the mail on 11/21.

I actually work 1 block from the capital building, so I strolled on over there when I got back into town from a work trip. I submitted mine in person on 11/21 and my check was cashed 11/25.

Much like all of you, I'm quite anxious to get mine back. I grew up around firearms but just recently purchased my very first, a Ruger LC9.

I looked on their website and they insist that they will not provide any sort of confirmation over the phone. I took a walk over there again today on my lunch break. I can see why the woman who you all have been calling is being short. She took 3 calls while I was waiting patiently at the front desk and I could hear what people were saying on the other end.

I explained why I was there and she explained the process very politely.

It is a 3 step deal. First they check your application to make sure you provided everything you needed to. If you have everything you should have, they cash the check and the envelope then goes to background check. Once background check is completed it gets sent over to be printed and packaged in an envelope. Once it is in the envelope, it actually has to go to another department in the capital building to get stamps put on. The following day it is sent out in themail.

I asked her if there was a database she could use to tell me what stage mine was in, and she says there isn't. She says a look-up process will be in place, but not until 12/15, which is the 45 day marker from 11/1. She said she has no idea what that process will look like until 12/15.

Every day I come home feeling like a kid on Christmas only to be disappointed that it hasn't arrived. But there is no conspiracy, no foul play, they are just inundated with applications and you have to expect it to take some time. Hounding the poor woman at the desk serves no benefit to anyone.

Forms submitted: 11/1/2011
    Mailed from: Wausau, WI
    Proof of Training: copy of Hunters Safety card
    Check cashed: 11/14/2011 (posted to acct, but is stamped 11/10/2011 on the back)
    License Issued: 11/28/2011
    License received: 11/30/2011

I was wondering if anyone could clarify this for me. If my check was cashed does that mean my app was accepted? I have read of some people being denied for theire address not matching theire dl address. on my app i put duplex a and on my dl it says #a. My check was cleared 11-23. any thoughts on this?

Quote Originally Posted by alandh View Post
    I was wondering if anyone could clarify this for me. If my check was cashed does that mean my app was accepted? I have read of some people being denied for theire address not matching theire dl address. on my app i put duplex a and on my dl it says #a. My check was cleared 11-23. any thoughts on this?
    Your check is cashed if the app was filled out correctly and the paperwork is what was required...whether or not it is accepted depends on the background check and if the info on the app matches what is on DMV and if your background is ok.

Quote Originally Posted by kathie63 View Post
    Your check is cashed if the app was filled out correctly and the paperwork is what was required...whether or not it is accepted depends on the background check and if the info on the app matches what is on DMV and if your background is ok.
    So your saying i could still be denied based on dot records that dont match? #a vs duplex a?

sent nov. 1st from central wi
    check cashed nov 15
    permit issued nov 25th
    permit received today!!! nov 30th permit#13xxx

hopefully everyone gets theres very soon!!!

Quote Originally Posted by pps View Post
    Michael

As I mentioned in our conversation, the system sorts names with no hits, and they can be approved rapidly. This is still done on a date received basis, but could result in an application received a few days later being processed ahead of one requiring research, but received earlier. The oldest do not go to the bottom; we still process the applications by the date received. Each dates mail bundles are kept in separate bins for both initial review and data entry. There is no “pile method.”

Unfortunately for those who are waiting, we received almost 30,000 applications in the first week. Our staff is working diligently to quickly and accurately process all of the applications received in this initial wave as well as the 10,000 handgun hotline calls we received this month. Patience will be required as this new program is implemented. Many of the initial logistical issues will have been resolved in the first 6 months and IT efficiencies we are working on should make the process much easier and more efficient for applicants in the future.

Take care,

Brian R. O'Keefe

Administrator

Wisconsin Department of Justice

Division of Law Enforcement Services

To anyone that reads this from DOJ, I really appreciate the work you are doing to issue our permits. I received my permit one month after mailing my application and I consider that very timely considering the tremendous work load you have. On the 1st, I assumed I was going to have to wait deep into December, but was very pleased to receive my permit today. I was initially disappointed to see my check was cashed on the 25th but I completely realize that issue is moot considering I received my permit five days later.

Thank you Mr. O'Keefe and thank you to everyone working hard on WI CCWs. Your efforts are very much appreciated!

Still Waiting

Forms submitted: 11/1/2011
    Mailed from: Medford Wisconsin
    Proof of Training: DD214 22 Years
    Check cashed: 11/15/2011
    License Issued: Unknown
    License received: Not yet

Well my family is now completely legal. I am licensed as Wisconsin resident and Florida non-resident. My wife has Wisconsin resident. We haven't decided if she is going to get the Colorado license yet. I guess it depends on what states will honor the Wisconsin. Mine came on Friday for those of you who didn't see my post. My wife's came today, Wednesday, she's so happy, lol. Hope the rest of you get your's soon.

Paperwork mailed on 11/7
    Check posted to bank on 11/21
    No permit, of course. It does seem like the time between mailing the application and the check being cashed is getting shorter. It seem like more than 10 days now between the check being cashed and the permit being issues; does anyone have an average of how long it's now taking for someone with a clean background?

Quote Originally Posted by alandh View Post
    So your saying i could still be denied based on dot records that dont match? #a vs duplex a?
    I don't know if the slight difference such as duplex vs # would make a difference...I think that would be really picky to deny on that slight of a difference!! I may be denied as I forgot to add a name I used 25 years ago.

Links