Wisconsin CCW Permit Time...Keep us posted!

This is a discussion on Wisconsin CCW Permit Time...Keep us posted! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by alandh I know we didnt loose any oc rights but it was never legal in a car. So is it now if ...

Page 34 of 297 FirstFirst ... 243031323334353637384484134 ... LastLast
Like Tree2175Likes

Thread: Wisconsin CCW Permit Time...Keep us posted!

Quote Originally Posted by alandh View Post
    I know we didnt loose any oc rights but it was never legal in a car. So is it now if i have a ccw? Im not good at reading legal mumumbo jumbo.... Do u have a short answer. I would realy appreciate it
    These might help clear things up.
    How do the new CCW law changes effect me as a hunter, trapper, recreational vehicle operator or user of DNR lands?
    2011 Wis. ACT 51 - Firearms, Bows & Crossbows in Vehicles - Questions & Answers

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by chubbs9530 View Post
    Yes, it is legal now to open carry a loaded handgun in a vehicle in plain sight. This applies to a person with or without a CCW. But in order to conceal the handgun, you have to be a valid CCW holder.

Here's a link for a FAQ on the DOJ website regarding the new law. I find it easy to understand. The section in regards to CCW/Open Carry is on page 44 I believe of the downloadable pdf.

http://www.doj.state.wi.us/dles/cib/...q-20111020.pdf

Sent from my DROID X2
    I thought it had to be above the window line... i know there is a lot of controversy about it right now and i dont want to debate that. I more want to know if when i get my ccw i will be ok. I dont think i can open carry in a car now on my hip. Any input on this?

Yes, it is legal now to open carry a loaded handgun in a vehicle in plain sight. This applies to a person with or without a CCW. But in order to conceal the handgun, you have to be a valid CCW holder.

Here's a link for a FAQ on the DOJ website regarding the new law. I find it easy to understand. The section in regards to CCW/Open Carry is on page 44 I believe of the downloadable pdf.

http://www.doj.state.wi.us/dles/cib/...q-20111020.pdf

Sent from my DROID X2
    I figured it out. Sorry to post off topic. Its not quite as cut and dry as it sounds. I will wait till i get my ccw permit. Without a ccw its kind of open to interpretation. thanks for the info.

Yeah it really is open for a lot of interpretation. Being as a new law, it'll take a while for it to really be fully understood. As for being off topic, this topic has been off topic, sort of, for quite awhile.

Sent from my DROID X2

Back on track

Nothing today, of course it IS Sunday.

no dice but a good b-day

well I was hoping just maybe I could have had it today for my b-day went grate. went to the range had fun. still waiting thou.

Quote Originally Posted by skirydr View Post
    Mailed from wausau area on november 1st. Check cleared on november 14th. still no permit. hopefully in tomorrows mail?
    UPDATED
    I received my permit in the mail on Saturday 12/3. #16xxx

Mailed November 1st.
    Check cashed November 14th.
    Received December 3rd.
    Last edited by skirydr; December 5th, 2011 at 02:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by airbrn2b View Post
    Nope, I'm still out here also. Mailed 11/1, cashed 11/16 and still waiting. Check cashed almost 3 weeks ago.
    Sent on the 1st of November

Checked cashed on the 16th

Cleared the bank on the 17th

No permit as of yet.

Wife sent hers on the 1st

Checked cashed on the 16th

Cleared the bank on the 17th

Permit in hand on the 1st (13xxx)

I passed my background check in early November for a gun purchase, something just seems wrong (wife thinks it's funny, me not so much)

pps
    Quote Originally Posted by alandh View Post
    I know this is a little off topic but i was wondering if anyone can help me with a question. when i get my ccw permit obviously i can conceal in my vehicle... But can i also open carry? Like if i have my shoulder holster on and decide to take off my coat. I would be oc in a vehicle but i have my ccw permit so is it legal? Any input would be apreciated. And if you could point me to the statute that would be even better. Thanks.
    Yes you can ...except here... read the rules online here http://www.doj.state.wi.us/dles/cib/...q-20111020.pdf

Yes. It is unlawful for anyone (except for law enforcement), including persons with a CCW license, to knowingly carry an unconcealed weapon (firearm, electric weapon, a knife or a billy club) in the following locations:
     Any portion of a building that is a police station, sheriff‘s office, state patrol station, or the office of a Division of Criminal Investigation special agent of DOJ.
     Any portion of a building that is a prison, jail, house of correction, or secured correctional facility.
     The Sand Ridge Secure Treatment Center, the Wisconsin Resource Center, or any secured unit or secured portion of a mental health institution, including a facility designated as the Maximum Security Facility at the Mendota Mental Health Institute.
     Any portion of a building that is a county, state, or federal courthouse.
     Any portion of a building that is a municipal courtroom if court is in session.
     A place beyond a security checkpoint in an airport.
    Wis. Stat. § 175.60(16)(a).
    CCW FAQ 10/20/11
    - 29 -
     School grounds and premises:
    No one, including a CCW licensee may carry a firearm in or on the grounds of a school unless another specific statutory exception applies. Wis. Stat. § 948.605(2)(b)1r.
    No one, including a CCW licensee may carry any other dangerous weapon on school premises unless a specific statutory exception applies. Wis. Stat. § 948.61(2) and (3).
    Also see: POSSESSION OF FIREARMS AND OTHER WEAPONS ON SCHOOL PROPERTY.
     Persons who do not have a CCW permit may not carry a handgun in a tavern and those persons with a CCW license may carry a concealed handgun in a tavern only if NOT consuming alcohol. Wis. Stat. § 941.237(3)(cx).

You may already know this if you're a member of OpenCarry.org and browse the Wisconsin forum under another screen name (don't recognize your name from over there), but Krysta Sutterfield was recently arrested for OC'ing in a vehicle (see my sig line), and she is charged with violating statute 941.23
    I believe the State is expected to contest that the vehicle itself conceals the firearm (State v. Walls interpretation). Your second sentence touches on this sort of...

While in my opinion the intent of the authors of Act 35 was to do away with rubbish like this, I don't think it's prudent to advise people to open carry in their vehicle unless they have their CCW permit. Hopefully, through this pending court case I noted above, or with further legislative action, BS like this will be a non-issue in the future.

I'll have to track down the whole story about Krysta, but, Without a ccw permit, the handgun cannot be within reach when driving in a vehicle. This rule has always existed even when they had to be cased.

Mailed mine the 4th, check posted the 17th. Nothing as of yet! Check processed means application was in order and application forwarded to back ground check, which takes all of 5 minutes. Purchased a handgun less than 30 days ago passed the check in 5 minutes! Bought two rifles last year and the same check max time 5 - 10 minutes tops! Would someone explain how the background check could possibily take so long for those of us who sent our app's in on the 3rd thru the 5th! While applications submitted after us have got the permits already in hand. I cant help but think they keep putting applications on top of ours at the desks of the temps! My mail lady is convinced i'm stalking her!

Quote Originally Posted by trip20 View Post
    You may already know this if you're a member of OpenCarry.org and browse the Wisconsin forum under another screen name (don't recognize your name from over there), but Krysta Sutterfield was recently arrested for OC'ing in a vehicle (see my sig line), and she is charged with violating statute 941.23
    I believe the State is expected to contest that the vehicle itself conceals the firearm (State v. Walls interpretation). Your second sentence touches on this sort of...

While in my opinion the intent of the authors of Act 35 was to do away with rubbish like this, I don't think it's prudent to advise people to open carry in their vehicle unless they have their CCW permit. Hopefully, through this pending court case I noted above, or with further legislative action, BS like this will be a non-issue in the future.
    Yes I am a member over there with the same screen name. I just briefly looked at the post. I do see where you're coming from in regards to this issue. My quote. on OC in a vehicle was based off the DOJ FAQ on their website. I should have stated that it was MY interpretation of it. Sorry for any confusion.

Sent from my DROID X2

Yes I am a member over there with the same screen name. I just briefly looked at the post. I do see where you're coming from in regards to this issue. My quote. on OC in a vehicle was based off the DOJ FAQ on their website. I should have stated that it was MY interpretation of it. Sorry for any confusion.

Sent from my DROID X2
    No problem and I agree that the FAQ reads OK to OC in vehicle. Too many confusing interpretations out there. We have old statutes, old case law, new law, and FAQ's (DNR and DOJ)....... some contradict others........ what's a law abiding citizen to do!!!

Day 34 and still nothing....

They cashed my check 3 weeks ago.

Getting really old.

Links